How'd it go today?

Yes, I am a private contractor. As for the bucket truck: This bucket truck in the last photo is of maximum lift of 22 meters. I also used to work bucket trucks with a maximum elevation of 18 meters (telescopic system) and 30 meters (with the same system as the lift and 22 meters). Load capacity of their 250 kg, and usually I am working together with a colleague. I usually take with 3 a chainsaw - 200t, 250, and 660. A colleague of mine works with a special tool, which resembles the harpoon , so I call it - "Picador" ...)).I have reason to believe that you to not understand much, so ask questions...

You explain yourself quite well.

This harpoon...any pictures?

Great day yesterday, went up too Cincinnati and worked with Nick, great guy, and I met up with Josh Jump again. Nick really has a great thing going up there, we knocked out a good number of trees, they should be able to finish the rest today. Looking forward to going back up and when Nick gets a chance to come down and work with us for a day!

Poor old Tom ,blowed a rod right out the side of his log splitter ,8 HP Briggs .Good old Al had an 11 HP I/C engine located in about 15 minutes locally .Good old Craigs list to the rescue .

Nice.. My splitter is down from last week as well..... 1 month before I receive the stupid rubber seal that goes in the valve body... I was WTF???!!!!:what:

I bought 4

Kicked some butt on doug-fir removals over a drainfield, house, fence, house, and shed. Second tallest tree that I've dismantled myself, 130' doug-fir with two leaders, had the other double leader doug-fir stripped to spars Friday. Flopped spars onto a brush pile to keep off the drain field.

The one with the huge inclusion split apart on impact or in the air. When I started cutting the face out, it started pouring out pitch. I got sprayed in the face, neck, and arms. Some nice olive oil took it right off before showering, thankfully.

Healthy tree, just hugely included at ground level. After putting in the face, and seeing the inclusion shape better, I climbed back up 30' and put a trucker's ratchet strap around the two spars. I didn't want to worry about crushing our friends' house if it came apart and went funny. I would think that the hinge would hold it on target, but better overkill than underkill. Wish I had a 40" bar. The 36" wasn't quite enough.

The log slid a few feet, and I had about a foot to spare to the retaining wall.

Will have my hauling friend take 9 16'ers, and 3 20'ers to the mill, and give him some firewood logs, and get rid of having to deal with some firewood logs at the same time.

Keeping the gov't out of it. A deal between friends. ;)

Took my regular camera to work today, so I'll put some pics in the Work Pics thread.

Adrian and I kicked some butt this weekend, we managed to cut down and remove 65 trees for a local city. They were all road side ash trees that were infested with EAB. We had a total of 9 guys working saturday and 5 working sunday. A total of 90 yards of chips removed and 8 full dump trailer loads of logs. Went pretty smooth considering we had to close down a lane of traffic and have it directed. I was pretty nervous about this job because it was my first city job and my first time closing down a lane of traffic. The director of service and the Mayor of the city dropped in here and there and said they were very impressed, I also told them that it would take 2 weekends, he was shocked we got it done in one.

Slow day at 'work' today, which is okay with me after the weekend, and I didn't chip any of the 8-10,000 pounds of branches. Luck for the guys, most were speedlined close to the chipper.

Saw my friend, the hauler, who figured I got 2000-2500 board feet to the mill, and a cord and half worth of firewood logs for his friend. We (they mostly) only hand loaded a third of a cord into my trailer!

Tomorrow we'll knock down some big multi-leader doug-firs and a pine, along with some canopy raising over campsites.

Amy's friend is officially our new (paying rent) roommate, and is working out on the crew. He's going to work off half his rent around the property (means I don't have to do it, and have more time for paying tree jobs and baby), and add $200 to our monthly household budget, which nannies and Amy's part time return to work/ maternity leave have put a hurt on. And Ross is a cool guy.

Nice when things work out.
Those were nice logs, they would have been worth a bundle over here.

The log yard will mail a check a week from Friday. Recently, logs like that were only going for $350/ 1000 board feet (hopefully a little more now). Cost me $300 to have them skid out and hauled a short distance to downtown Olympia. If there was more room, I could have gotten import prices, but as it was, it meant jockeying the truck back and forth to get a 16' bed kboom in the yard. I put my chipper in there with the pick-up, then backed the chip truck into the backyard.

Ross, coming recently from Oklahoma, was duly impressed with the kboom picking up the 20' butt logs without straining, spinning them in the air to load butt forward, and getting all 12 them all on the truck in 2 loads (single rear axle truck).

Just for fun I did a recalculation.
They would have been worth at least 3 times that , here.

Oldest Doug fir in the country is around 120 years.

James Douglas brought seeds home to England,( Scotland, actually) then it took a while for them to reach Denmark.
The first ones were planted as ornamentals, in castle parks.

Those are the ones, I used to have fun rec-climbing .

Climbing the Sequoias/redwoods took most of that fun away, though.
Richard, my partner, said it well before our first trip to the BIG ones: " If we do this, we are gonna screw ourselves up, and never be able to be awed by a Danish tree again".

True words, but it was still worth it.

Next year, we are taking a small, select, group of people for a ninja climb of the biggest tree in Denmark.,

It is about 8 feet taller than the height of the lowest branch on the Coom's tree, which many members here have climbed.

The rest of the group are going to have a lifetime experience, but we will mostly be getting off on seeing them break their limit.:)

Oak wilt has run rampant thru a neighborhood in my town. We have already taken out 2 dozen trees at this property last. Took down 28 today. Still have 6 left.

I was reading earlier that the fungus can spread 75' per year.

I'm going to try my sales pitch on injections for a few nicer trees. Otherwise she will have nothing but pines left by next year.

More mistletoe today. A blue oak and live oak growing together just riddled with it. Got it all done and the home owner takes a look.... I mean this grouping was just shy of just topping it all out or fire wood. Homeowner says..... "Wow... Looks like those pruning jobs I used to see down in Redondo Beach, all topped out and so thin there is about nothing left". I feel a tad offended... but I know what he is talking about. After talking with the guy (and I mean this dude spends thousands with me yearly), he came to understand that this is not normal pruning. I have done some pruning in the past for him, but more crown raising. I have done some dead wooding and mistletoe in the past as well. I have not really be cut loose in a tree on his place. More left is better for him. FInally we all (his wife included) come to agree that this is not the norm an that is will be fine in a few years. Still ruffled my feathers a bit. At least we talked it all out and the customer walked away educated with no one getting too riled. I just calmly told him what was what. Supposed to go to the valley tomorrow so Rob will be on his own tomorrow. Took me 3.25 hours to rid that group of mistletoe aloft... 45 minutes on the ground, and almost 2 hours of clean up by my self. Whew, at 90 something degrees, I am whooped.

011.jpg 004.jpg Today we worked in place the disaster. Because of the strong of wind tree fell on an electrical cable and from this broke down a concrete pole. Later we also have cut this a concrete pole...

I had the strangest single day in a career of strange days today. Long story short, burls have been being removed from public trees. We reached out to the paper to raise public awareness yesterday. Newspaper story came out today and we caught the guys by 9:30am. Best part was I caught them in the act. I'll start a thread tomorrow.

I managed to fire up a Makita /Dolmar I resurrected for my neighbor and cut with it for maybe 10 minutes .Kinda hard to get much done this late in the fall working 12 hour days .You just run out of day light .The saw did okay though for 54 cc's .

.Kinda hard to get much done this late in the fall working 12 hour days .You just run out of day light . dont know how to actually quote you here. I'll learn! Anyways only have time to work 8 hrs. Don't you have labour laws there in the US?

I had the strangest single day in a career of strange days today. Long story short, burls have been being removed from public trees. We reached out to the paper to raise public awareness yesterday. Newspaper story came out today and we caught the guys by 9:30am. Best part was I caught them in the act. I'll start a thread tomorrow.

That's crazy, we just salvaged a burl from a stump here the other day.

Back