How'd it go today?

It was a doug fir, damn near at ground level too, had to hit it up with the blower good to cut that low. I don't cut dirt.

It was a stump I had just made, but it was still a stump.

I know out in the woods where there's a big ass burl on another fir stump too. The faller fell it just above the burl. I rigged/hooked the block out and wanted to cut it and yard it out but I was overruled at the time.

I was tired today and clearly hit the dirt for the first time in a while. Finished wrecking a triple stem doug-fir, limbing from the bucket as high as possible, I couldn't tell if any trunks were still interlaced or had branches grow solidly together, effectively cabling the tops, so 50' of leverage and a slight push of the right-hand pedal, and the whole shebang went to the open field. Had a nice tractor to use with a grapple on the bucket.

Its hard to work solo. My supervisor is off this week. I had the park aide as my second on the scene to watch for foot traffic, emergencies, etc. Hydraulics help.

Got my new rear track tires and rims in today. The fronts got here 2 weeks ago but the rear wheels were backordered. Rears are 26/11.50-15 and fronts are 26/4.5-15

IMG_2226.jpg

Here's a picture showing the new rears next to my old rears. Almost 2" more width.

IMG_2225.jpg

Nice slicks... Have fun with them Brian. I remember driving my Rx7 and my Subaru GX the first time on my racing slicks to the track. Oh man did it bring a new meaning to traction on the roads :lol: Slicks are a tad diffy. But have fun none the less

My day... Well... TD went great..... moving fire wood went great... Mail I got sucked. I am going to have n attitud ajustment before Kat gets home.. There are just times I take too much to seriously... I dunno... Bump in the road .. oh well.
Oh, And I scored a 21 ton splitter for 5 bills in trade...

Speaking of splitter I located another 8 HP Briggs to repairs Tom's for 45 bucks .I'll pick it up Monday .I think that other 11 HP would have worked out better but the guy never got back with him .

Just as a tid bit of info for those who don't know the first 2 numbers of a Briggs model number denote the cubic inch displacement which indicates the HP rating .

Sold some work.
Bought a bushel of Russets and cider at Myers apple orchard.
Last estimate of the day spent an hour with 94 yr old Betty
beautifully mature lady smart as a whip.
Visited my grandmas when I was 4.5 yrs old in Portugal so
it makes me sad that i missed them aftering sharing some time with her.
I made a new friend anyways>

Last edited:
Got a call from a fellow woodturner yesterday.
An old storage loft at a window/furniture making plant that was closed down 20 years ago was being cleared out and he wanted me to help him identify the wood.
I have a modest reputation amongs danish woodturner for being good at identifying wood once it is in board form.

To make a long story short, I found a bunch of Rio rosewood behind a clutter of old offcuts, water damaged veneer etc.

About 400 pds in short planks and staves.

We asked the guy in charce of clearing the place out, if we could have it for $200 and he happily agreed.

Rio rosewood dalbergia nigrais one of the absolute top woods of the world, and has pretty much been killed off.
There has been a CITES ban on cutting/selling freshly cut Rio for the last 20 years.

Almost like finding gold at the end of the rainbow:D

I won't be using much of it myself.
It is too rare for me to play around with.
I'll contact some instrument makers and sell it to them.
I did a tree job a couple of years ago for a couple who make high quality recorders, clarinets and the like.
They will most likely be insterested in the 2"X2" staves.

They were just going to clear the loft out and toss eveything on the burn pile, if you can imagine that.
But then, looking at a bunch of dusty old planks, most people won't know what it is.

Went to the track today. Now that autumn and cooler weather is almost here, I need to get back into practice. Picked up some new track wheels and tires last month and the rears were finally delivered yesterday so today was their first run. The track was packed since we've been rained out the last couple weeks and I only got 2 passes in but I ran a 12.2 and a 12.1 so I'm happy. The rear tires are 11.5" wide with a 10" footprint, almost 2 inches wider than my last set. They are hooking very well. I really like the new wheels as well.

IMG_2229.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

Great looking auto. There is a word in our lingo here that perfectly fits, "shibui". It means subtle and not too flashy, but deep. It doesn't get used so much, not so many things like that. The word would make a good license plate.

Sweet! I love that ride of yours Brian. I was watching the vid on the new Mustang Boss. Damn I wanna drive one. My dad had a Mach One back in the day. I remember the original Boss from when I was a kid.

Back