How'd it go today?

I feel as though while onsite I can gauge a customers reaction sometimes and work with it accordingly. Such as the case where Mrs. So &So's jaw drops open when she sees the price. That's when i start kicking around other options to help bring the price down or to suggest doing the work in phases as money allows.
Not saying my prices make everyone cringe but there are lots of times where folks dont have a clue what tree work costs and they get a little sticker shock.
I feel as though sending a bid out after we have met allows potential customers to just toos the bid in the trash if they think its too much. While I'm there in person I have the option to try and sell my work again before we part ways. I dont intend to come off as a used car salesman to anyone here, but being a young man and a young business I often times have to fight to lock up work.

Exactly, Tucker. When I got the price for the termite treatment two days later, the conversation was already over. I wasn't willing to phone him up to initiate a new conversation in order to ask him anything else. It was more than I wanted to spend so I tossed it in the trash along with his card. If I ever need that type of service again I'll start looking elsewhere.

Leaving for Rochester, NY at the moment to visit some of the lady friend's family. Be back in a week.

I called about some 3 part custom forms this morning, on site delivery here we come.

I think I was just always put off by the awkwardness of telling them the price and watching their jaw hit the floor. I just get pist when people think this kind of work is free, but don't think twice paying the plumber and lawnmower repair guy $85/hr. So at that point I would get really frustrate and want to smack them.

Oh well, I'll always be a better worker than salesman.

I'm right there with you, Brendon. I fought it for years until I eventually morphed into my current position subbing to other tree guys. There's advantages and disadvantages but I get to focus on my strengths and avoid my weaknesses.

Brendon, why don't you do some homework and calculate out some base prices for yourself, also considering distance to the job. You already know your time and what you need to charge for certain jobs, say the more common type ones in your area, then when estimating new jobs, you can call up those base numbers and add or subtract accordingly, depending on what's entailed. It seems like it might make estimating quicker, and you can do it with more confidence. That makes a good impression as well.

I get people scoffing at the prices I give every now and then. Big deal, I have no interest in working for someone like that anyways. It's gotta pay to make your own business, amass all the gear/equipment and then put it all on the line with risk to yourself and others property. Hell treework is a deal even when we're making full rate.

There may have been 10 bids since 03 where I didn't give them a price right then and there. I mail/fax/email writen bids if they ask for them.

I get people scoffing at the prices I give every now and then. Big deal, I have no interest in working for someone like that anyways. It's gotta pay to make your own business, amass all the gear/equipment and then put it all on the line with risk to yourself and others property. Hell treework is a deal even when we're making full rate.

cracks me up when they pay a plumber 85-90 bucks an hour to show up in a pickup full of tools and parts, charges extra for the parts and then throw a fit when we roll up with 100k worth of equipment to do something they wouldnt know how to start doing safely and are shocked

Have fun up here in Yankee-land, Andrew. Look me up, if you feel like a detour.

Brendon, I used to feel the same way. You get used to it.

I also have the same feelings Brenden, but have grown acustomed to it. If I can see that they are having some sticker shock I will point out the difficulties particular to that job that make it so expensive. Some people use the freaking out over a price as a bargaining tool and would freak out no matter what you said. The ones to watch out for are the ones where they say "your price is really good". That's code for you are way lower than the other guy.

Warmed up a bit. Finally got a chance to wash/wax my new truck. Had it 6 months and have only washed it once.

The old and the new... I washed the old one a couple years ago, I think.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 16
Worked on a few saws today ,batted 2 for three . The loser was a POS Skil .

I fumbled around with my 042 Stihl for about an hour ,damned thing was flooding . I must have had the carb apart 3 -4 times ,then it dawned on me .Wrong diaphragm plus I had the spacer gasket on the wrong side . Dumbazz attack,it happens .:(

A 10-10 Mac just had a broken recoil spring ,easy fix .

I went to a friends place this morning to see the culmination of over four years of welding, torching, bending, scrap hauling, junkyard searching, and assorted adventures. It's a diamond wiresaw that was re-engineered to cut larger blocks of stone. It's going to be used to break down 15-20ton quarry blocks so they can be finished on a 1.5 meter radial saw. The end product will be assorted architectural marble pieces, such as stairs, lintels, and even head stones. Basically , anything you'd want to make out of marble.

The first shot isn't very clear, but it's the only one I have of the whole machine. There is a 2 meter wheel behind each door, and each wheel assembly rides up and down two columns via an acme thread.

The block in the second picture is from the quarry where I work. It is going to be sawn into 24" square floor tiles. The blocks from this quarry range from this rust color to a blue gray, and then to an almost pure white. I believe there are two buildings in NYC that were built with marble from this quarry, which is across the valley from my house. Pretty cool to see the stone going from in the hole to a finished product.

This saw is somewhat automated. It has adjustable limit switches that stop the travel at the desired location, as well as stop the saw in an emergency, should the wire break. The blue cabinet looks is packed full of contactors and VFD's, right up Erik"s, and probably Al's alley.

Attachments

• wiresaw1.jpg
    wiresaw1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 43
  • wiresaw2.jpg
    wiresaw2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 43
  • wiresaw3.jpg
    wiresaw3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 43
He should set up to cut counter tops .It seems the country has gone bonkers for marble tops these days . They must have a lot of money is all I can say .

Back