How'd it go today?

There are a bunch of top shops around. They mostly use CNC and waterjet machines. The work my friend does is more on the lines of restoring or recreating antique architectural stone work. He made a machine to cut the nosings and dovetails on stair risers. He can also repair broken pieces and apply proprietary aging agents to the repairs. He reproduced many of the hand faced details for the chimney restoration of the Norman Rockwell Museum last year.

Worked on some mistletoe, brushing and branching. Just ground work today. She says she will eventually have me climb and get the rest done. 5 acres of trees. Mostly small white oaks. Had us take a 18" dbh dead white oak down and is going to hire us to cut and split some fire wood for her. Checked out an ugly stick for a client. Went next door to another client and booked another day of downed tree removal. Good day.

Oh and I almost forgot... Hey Steve. We were waving and hollaring at ya from the side of Mt. Bullion but ya just too far away and did not see or hear us :lol::lol:

Delivered a load of firewood today. Probably the last for this season. Also looked at a big bid with Dad. It's a multi weekend job, with a few climbers, a few good groundsmen. and the golf course crew to haul most brush/logs away. Going to be a fun one!!!

Also talked to our friend today about the removal tomorrow. It's still on! And it looks like the guy will want the wood chunked down in about 10ft lengths or so to a certain point, then we can fall it. So it looks like I may be doing a bit of chunking down also!!

Out of the blue, I did a barter job today for a new friend, a messycan named Raul. It was an easy side trim to clear his pool. Sweet.

I cleaned the truck up slightly, ran by the office, and had some wings for dinner.

Now, I'm doing laundry, sipping on a Pabst, and packing suitcases... usual pre-business trip stuff.

Bartering is cool. I swap out work with my buddy that does my minor fiberglass stuff, and I'm working on a deal to barter some treework in exchange for painting the hood/ fender on my bucket truck once I get the fender replaced.

haha, im working a 3 way barter. a landscaper buddy wants mistletoe out of his trees, i want a sprinkler system and another tree guy owes me over a grand so hes going to do my buddies trees and my buddy is doing my sprinkler system and im going to have a brew8)

And here is the lil ugly stick. Got the call. He's gonna wait on it:roll:
I took one side of it off last year (very dead). There are arborphobes and then what do we call the ones that just can't let go of a lost cause?

Attachments

• P1010217.JPG
    P1010217.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010218.JPG
    P1010218.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 6
Changed the starter in the truck (again), and got some welding on the dump body done.

Yep... it was DAYUM nice out!

Nope, didn't hear you Stephen, must have been in a daze or somethin'. I worked on my pickup again today. Finished installing the gooseneck hitch and welded up some cracks and broken spot welds back there. I'm really quiet going down the road now. The first picture is the channel iron marked out and the second is my super special custom bracket, and the third is it bolted to the side of the frame of my PU. I don't know why I didn't take a picture of the actual hitch.:|:

Attachments

• trailer 009 (Small).jpg
    trailer 009 (Small).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 54
  • trailer 010 (Small).jpg
    trailer 010 (Small).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 54
  • trailer 011 (Small).jpg
    trailer 011 (Small).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 54
cool, my buddy fabbed his own gooseneck hitch with quick detach ball. turned out very nice

Ok, I guess.

Sure!

I got a call to look at a saw for a guy, he's 100 miles away, I looked at it, seemed good, I bought it, he drove down today and payed me back and gave me $10 for my time.

There have been tornadoes and severe thunderstorms popping up east and north of here tonight.
Better?

Got back from our removal about an hour ago. Cooking an early supper of left over taco meat and tacos from yesterday!

Removal went very smoothly. I didn't climb at all because after pulling up to the job Dad and I agreed this wasn't a beginners tree. It was an 85-ft White Ash, and half had blown out, leaving a single 85-ft stem with the top. So I ran ground operations and Dad climbed, which was ok by me. We have plenty of pics and video that I'm going through and editing. Had a great time though. Got some time in on the 460 which was cool, since I haven't ran a big saw in awhile. Plus, I got to ride in a very nice 2009 Chevy Silverado 1500. A very nice truck!!

Pics and video to come soon!

I spent about an hour and a half grinding a couple of stumps I made Friday, got paid, and I'm back home. :)

The job was underbid, but I still made my hourly benchmark so I'm not complaining. 3 hours for the trees, 1 hour to load and haul the logs, and 1.5 hours on the stumps. I was working with another tree company that day and we ended up chipping the brush which saved alot of time. About 15-17 yards of chips made the 10 minute ride to my house, the logs took the 20 minute ride to the recycling yard.

Just went out bidding a couple jobs, today. Beautiful weather, and I went 2 for 2 for over $4k in work.

Hahahaha, hail no. Just a guy with arborphobia. The reason it was on sunday was because the guy with the bucket is a seventh day adventist.

Back