How'd it go today?

You can't write it up right there? Why be a dumbass and bring work home that could take a few moments to do while you're looking at the tree(s)?

Lol no doubt. I'm a guesstimating machine man, I can pull a number outta me arse in no time flat.:lol:

Depends on the complexity of the job for me and if there are any other partys to contact ie. neighbor, forestry, fisheries.

Slayed some good sized cottonwoods today. Felt good burying the 32" bar with the hopped up 660 running like a top. If that don't bring a smile to your face nothing will.:D

Unless its an exceptionally large bid where I need to sit down with the pencil and calculator for awhile, I write up the bid then and there.

I like to give them the bid right then and there because it allows me to discuss things further if the need arises. I lean on the high side of the bidding in my area and often times I need to spend the time to sell the customer on what exactly it is I am offering them for the price i have given them.

estimate on site.....most cases. Sometimes they are a bit more complicated...then time plus

I gave him a verbal estimate with a filed out estimate sheet, but I emailed him a written copy when I got home. I've been meaning to get the white & pink carbonless sheets, so I don't have to sit down and rewrite what I wrote down on the sheet when I get home. Once I get some of those copying sheets, I could just scan it in to store it on the computer.

No sweat, Skwerl. He's smart enough to know when he's being razzed, as am I. :P

Finally, it's Friday!! I made it through another school week!!

Just got back from Taken, a decent movie.

Tomorrow is a big firewood delivery. Best part, it's all ready loaded on the trailer and all we have to do is throw it off. Plus, we get a free lunch out of the deal also!

Then Sunday is my long-awaited big removal!! I'll be sure to grab a few in-action pics of the whole thing!

I almost always give the estimate while I'm there. Not that I don't mess it up once in a while.
I worked on putting the gooseneck hitch thing in the bed of my PU today, and gave a couple of estimates, on the spot.

Just take another minute while you're there and make sure you take in all the factors. If it's a huge bid I'll do the proposal sheet at home and fax it or snail mail it to them.

Today went well.. Got a client all burned FINALLY! This guy is a love/damn relationship. Ya just gotta love the guy, but he is a biatch to work for :P He is monthly on clearing, so to give myself a break, I gave him and me a month off after burning the last of the brush... A month before I call to do any more ... HAHA

As a homeowner and consumer, I typically won't bother doing business with somebody if he can't give me an estimate while he's there. I had a termite guy come out to give me a price for preventative treating my home and shop. He looked around and then said he'd get back to me with a price. By the time he called back two days later (with an outrageous number), I had already mentally written him off.

Brendon, you might be kicking yourself out of a lot of jobs before they ever look at your price. I wouldn't hire you for a removal if you needed two days to price it. ;)

Experience will help you with the pricing, Bren.

Don't let the customer rush you to a figure you'll be sorry for. Take your time, use your eyes, and you'll do fine.

Give them an honest price. Take the time to answer any questions they might have on the price. Sometimes it's gonna be pricey because of the way it must be removed, etc.

Giving them the price/estimate before you leave makes sure you get to explain, and most people prefer it face-to-face.

Back