How'd it go today?

The old ones are like building a wood fire. Not much to them. When I say they "scare me", I mean I'm afraid it isn't gonna light, and their isn't much I can do about it, except stare at it with a blank look on my face, pressing a button like an idiot. Everything's hidden inside, and you can't get to it.

Heater's working. Currently looking at dehumidifiers at homedepot. My ancient one uses a lot of power, and I've been thinking about getting something newer. Funny they don't list power consumption anywhere; even in the one manual I downloaded. 1.5kw? I don't even know. Can they be different between models?

You are smart enough to fix a new water heater, it's just slightly different parts vs the old stuff. The most common thing to go wrong with them are still the thermocouple and the ignitor, which are both simple to swap out. If you've ever swapped out the ignitor in on a gas dryer it's about the same.

As far as getting the actual specs on new stuff, try to find the pdf for them, that's where all that should be listed. Sometimes you have to go to the manufacturers site to find it.

Well, shit. While I was looking at dehumidifiers, I decided to order the generator Burnham got. Just got notice my order was canceled. I'm guessing that model isn't being made anymore. I might get the harborfreight equivalent. I can drive to the store and pick that one up. No dehumidifier, no generator. I'm striking out today :^/

Yea, I was just reading the reviews sorted by lowest first. I think I'm gonna pass on that. I wanted what Burnham got cause he already researched it, and I trust his judgement. I guess I'll have to do my own work.

HomeDepot. Everything looked normal on the site, and I checked out with it, but less than an hour later, I got an email with this in it...

Hi John,

Unfortunately, we ran into an issue processing your order and have had to cancel the below items. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We've issued a full refund amount to your payment card. Refunds typically reflect within 3-5 business days, though this can vary based on bank processing times. Please note that if you paid with a gift card, a store credit will be sent to you in a separate email.

We may have similar items in stock that would meet your needs. You can continue your search at homedepot.com.
Sincerely,
The Home Depot Online Customer Support

edit:
Perfect. Thanks Burnham!

You rock Burnham! Came to the rescue, and saved me over $100. Order's in, so hopefully that'll be one less thing to worry about. The storms around here have gotten intense over the last few years. So much water... At least I'll have something to keep the sump pump going if power goes out.

I have my old dehumidifier turned on. That'll work well enough til I get something better.

I lost my cats for a little bit. I thought they went in the basement, and I was getting pissed off. Found them under the couch after ~1hr looking. I don't go in the basement much, and they got scared. We had a rocky start when they first moved in, and thought it would be cool trolling me by hiding in the basement. I spent >8 hours looking for one or the other, and was PISSED when I finally found them. Must have left a lasting impression with them :^D

Currently looking at dehumidifiers at homedepot. My ancient one uses a lot of power, and I've been thinking about getting something newer. Funny they don't list power consumption anywhere; even in the one manual I downloaded. 1.5kw? I don't even know. Can they be different between models?
Basically it's just a fridge with a fan, so it has a relatively low power, excepted if you are looking for an industrial model like drying a house in construction. For the last I saw a 1,9 kw, but for the home model, the few I saw on Amazon rank from 22w (!) to 750w.

Went to do estimate up in high country today and ended up doing three. Hard to get help up there, so when a tree guy rolls in (not just a faller but a climber), all the neighbors roll up asking you to come look. Booked some easy work on some lodgepole pines. Got an altitude headache and never got to go after brookies.
Nice drive though. Takes about two hours from my place. Picked up a new 2511T on my way by the saw shop over there.
They were all out of home made pies at the Jones Store when I got there :(
I had a list to do before my compass steered me up there. So i got there after lunch rush.
Couple of cabins up there sport our milled lumber. 20210605_122748.jpg 20210605_122833.jpg 20210605_122755.jpg 20210605_123206.jpg 20210605_123408.jpg 20210605_123418.jpg 20210605_140447.jpg

Interesting country up there. I wouldn't mind visiting in cooler times, but it looks really dry.

Its cooler up there. Near 8000 feet and you can hike higher. It is in the 70s up there heat of the day whilst we are pushing 90s at 3000 feet. Nights are quite chilly. Creeks and lakes up there with water. Why there are still green alpine meadows and wild flowers.
But yup, the central and southern sierra are pretty dang dry.

Stephen, consider yourself blessed to live in a place that I hanker to visit again.

This winter " Our lady of the forwarder", also known as Line, brought me 80 cubic meters of firewood.
Just as I got started on it, I broke my ankle.
Now I finally got tired of looking at the pile, so I'm taking next week off from work and chaining myself to the splitter ( With a heavy logging chain..........no escape!)

Tried out my new file today...

20210606_143357.jpg

It's sharper, but I think I can do better. That'll be a good fall activity. Too hot today. Had to wear earplugs cause of the cicadas. I'm pretty sure they're more harmful to hearing than my 2511 is. Loud doesn't even come close to describing the noise.

Well, I didn't fall off the bridge, and I only had one problem when the gun was looking into the light plant. I hope those elevations work out. Boss was a pita as usual. Trying to talk him through operation through a phone. No pictures. It looked more or less like my last night job, but less rain. A pic of the shitton of cicadas would have been cool, but I didn't feel like hassling with my earplug wires to get my phone. One of those bastards got in my helmet vent, and was crawling around on my head :^D

A little bit of paperwork, then a shower and bed. Glad that's all over with.

A backleaning lombardy poplar today, about 28" at the stump. I pushed it over with wedges, but what a shitty wood ! The wedges just sank in the wood. Good and healthy wood I have to say. Still, I needed 4 wedges and the major part of them burried to start the actual lifting. Eventually it went well but I was close to loose my confidence. LOL.

That happened to me, but my wedges didn't sink in. I was trying to cut down a 20ft 28" dbh poplar pole in my yard, and considered throwing a line up in it, but that was really unnecessary. I stuck all my wedges in it (actually had a few more I forgot about), some kept kicking out like the tree was really heavy, but I had it tipped past it's CG. I had the hinge super thin to the best of my knowledge, even gutted the hinge some, and it still wouldn't go over. I was too tired go pound wedges any more, which there were none left to pound, so I went inside. 20min later I hear cracking and a thump.

Was cleaning out the cellarway today and found a cat skull. I wonder which kitty it was? I neglected the cellarway for awhile, so there was all kinds of stuff down there. Nasty today. I was outside for ~.5hr, and was drenched in sweat. Summer's literally the worst. I'd have shot myself 20 years ago if this is all life was.

Back