How'd it go today?

That doesn't sound like a fun time at all. I worked with a guy that did work on pipes. Can't remember what, but it wasn't welding. Told me about climbing on them on the factory ceilings. NO THANKS!

Lol that's me everyday right now hahahaha. I'm doing demo work in a factory now, some small gravy stuff and some heavy stuff needing to be rigged and drifted around. It just is what it is, just a part of the job.

One thing I found I really liked was using my tree lanyard on a structure. Had to do some work on stripped abutments, and my boss was using my old harness and fall lanyard. That left me with my new fall/climb harness, but no lanyard to get up there with him to mark stuff. I used my arborplex lanyard attached to the lower climbing D. Not "legal" I'm sure, but it was for compliance purposes, so everybody could see everyone had their harnesses on. I'd have been fine without one.

Anyway, I could keep myself on a short leash with that setup. Let a bit out with the prusik, or haul myself in with the pulley. Nothing yanking on me, or some heavy autofeed box hanging off my back. very compact, without extra stuff hanging all over. Speaking of which, one of my "favorite" lanyard tricks is crouching down to mark something, your lanyard gets under your heels, and you almost pull yourself over when you go to stand. LOVE that :^S

I held a "hung up tree" workshop today which basically focused on removal techniques utilizing some cutting and basic rigging systems to remove trees that get hung up during falling operations. Went well overall but it has some challenges when you deliberately hang up trees. I like to focus more on avoiding hang ups in the first place. Apologies for no pics...was a bit busy.

I wouldn't do that

I think they might have changed it, but ironworkers doing connecting work didn't have to tie off unless it was over 25 feet. So they put decking on every other floor and wire rope around the perimeter to act as a handrail, so then they didn't have to tie off at all. Then they could build a skyscraper and didn't need to bother with tying off, which could get you tangled in the rigging. Back in the day, like when guys retiring today started, they would have two guys sit on a beam at the ends facing out, fly the beam up with the crane with the guys on it, who would stick their legs out to catch the column, pin a few bolts, unhook the chokers and hang them from the hook, then hop on "crab" with one sitting on the ball and the other on his lap :lol: The trades are soft these days!

Ugh... Looks like grading beams is gonna be 1am Sunday night, and they want to do the whole drag traffic routine, so it'll take 3x as long as it should. Le Sigh...

You don't say!

We worked yesterday in a very minor light rain (well, I did, I cut back a bunch of trees from a garage with the bucket truck, while the guys hid in the trucks,then the 3 of us chipped it up, it had stopped raining lightly). We finished at 1 pm, got the full day in). This morning, the forecast was 10% chance of rain till 1pm, then 50% after that, one of em (they drive together) says he's not coming in, he doesn't want to get wet, his clothes are still wet from yesterday. :big-bat: :slam2:

Dang... might need a raise if they only own one pair of work clothes... :)

Mick... basically the foreman (I swore he was on Meth drinking Monster Energy) refused to wear a hardhat at all... let alone the drop zone... I told him 3x either hardhat or get out of work zone..he finally took the most junior groundie's hardhat for himself. Then the Co owner showed up 2 hours later looking drunk... or extremely tired. No one could tie a knot, the pole saw had the blade on backwards...I watched 2 guys stand still the entire time looking up at me, never moved...Their climber was super young... climbed with a rope that was super short. Yeah... many details.

Dang... might need a raise if they only own one pair of work clothes... :)

They are arguably overpaid already, as detailed in other threads.
If and when I retire, this will likely be one of the highest pleasures, not interacting with people of this mindset.

I watched 2 guys stand still the entire time looking up at me, never moved..

^My favorite part of your post.

How long can the world stay in orbit when peopled with the likes of those you cite?

When we down-sized our x-ray company (we sell x-ray machines, goods and services) so that only family is involved it has been great. No employee issues. It can get prickly working with family sometimes but that's just life.

Geez, Deva, that crew sounds almost as good as the crew doing right-of-way clearance in my town recently. 3 bucket trucks, 2 chippers, 2 pickups and 10 crew members. For a 3 mile road with a ton of trees to cut back, only one bucket in operation, one guy on chipping duty, and 2 guys flagging traffic. The other 6 were either sitting in the trucks or huddled around a cooler discussing the weather. I think they got it half done (one side only) in 2 days. Awesome spend of tax money!...... NOT!!!

For the bad oiling saw, as you put an other bar on it, verify that the oil hole in the bar matches the oil groove in the casing. An other possibility is a warped/worn mounting surface on the casing. You can tighten the nuts all you want, the bar can't sit well on it (and probably moves during the cut), living a gap allowing the oil to drip out before entering in the bar's groove. Steel plate or not, same result. I got that on my used ms440. I flattened the c:lutch cover with my router to give at least one straight surface to clamp the bar. I found it to risky to do the same to the main casing. To close the gap and keep the oil in its path despite the wear, I put a layer of silicon ( reinforced by some mesh) under the steel plate. It worked well enougth.

Well, supply chain issues finally got straightened out, so I took delivery of this little guy today:

2021 Ram 2500, 8' bed, Cummins diesel; will tow >20K lbs. Should provide good use until the day I retire and then some.

New or lightly used, Brian? I love my Ram.

Brand spankin' new, Scott. Due to the supply chain issues, I was lucky to get one close to the exact model I wanted (wanted white instead of green, and vinyl seats would have been nice). Other than that, every other feature I wanted.

Auto manufacturers are screwed now due to micro-chip manufacturers in Taiwan reengineering their plant last year due to scamdemic. They mothballed all industrial/vehicle chip lines and went 100% consumer electronics due to Covidiocy. Word is it will take 6-8 months to get the previous systems back online, and the dealer I bought from (over 100 miles away in PA), stated they are not taking any more 2021 model orders, and any 2022 orders may not be seen until Q2/2022.

See below:

Finished the day working on a stormwater pond on the farm today. I was irritated cause I had to work late, and there's too many stakes there. Also got rained on. Back's been sore this week, and standing behind the gun really gets it hurting. As much as I hated my old POS robot, I'm missing it at this point. Haven't been getting much movement in. Staying in any one position for long periods of time hoses my back, I need to keep moving and changing positions.

There's a bunch of dead/dying oaks on the farm, and one of them shed a big limb while we were there. We walked up to make sure nothing hit the horses or buildings up there, but the limb was straight across the driveway. It wasn't two minutes earlier when a couple girls drove through in a jeep. Probably would have totalled the jeep if the limb hit it. Got my boss interested in getting the tree removed, as well as a few more, but it's only two trees that are a real threat. I think I can climb the one that dropped the limb, and take it down from the top. It doesn't look too bad for a dead oak. The other one is shedding bark, and looks weak at topping level. I'll have to examine them better. Neither are leaning in a convenient direction.

Well i did my first tree today after work since i got sick, a little blue spruce in a backyard. Had to climb up about 15 feet to make sure it didn't snag the lines, then flopped it in the yard. Got maybe half cleaned up, I'll finish tomorrow. I'm completely exhausted, but I'm slowly coming back. Even a few weeks ago i flat out didn't have it in me, i don't now yet either but I'm getting there :lol:

Back was sore yesterday(still is), and I got into the shower thinking how amazing it was going to be. It wasn't amazing at all. Apparently my basement flooded enough to extinguish my water heater. The water was just warm enough to not be miserable.

Two things...

frig cold showers cory! :^D

My water heater scares me. It's a newer one, and if the little clicker doesn't work, or something goes wrong inside, it has to be properly taken apart to fix. I've had to restart it a couple times now, and I'm in a minor panic wondering if it's gonna relight. My old old school heater could be lit with a match, and the stuff inside was simple. Hot water is one of my top favorite modern conveniences. I'd trade a lot of stuff before I got rid of hot water from the tap.

The old ones needed to be worked on properly too, and they will kill you just as fast. The newer ones are safer. Still having problems with it? None of them will work under water.

Back