How'd it go today?

Yup. I got one for the house and a camp chef camp stove with a two burner griddle for the camper. We also have the same grill/griddle where I camp most often that I bought for the landowner as a gift. To be honest, I used all three this weekend. Just got home and reheated some brisket on the home one for dinner. We had two smokers going yesterday. Mine had the brisket (started at 3am) and his had breakfast fatties started at 6 am. Bad thing about smoking a brisket is you’re about to drunk to enjoy it😆

Hedge trimmer for sale.

Well I did the hedge, hasn't been done since she moved in five years ago. Bit of a mixture but mostly Cotoneaster, down to about 7ft & 8ft wide and 60ft long. Ended up looking pretty good and she was happy.

There was another six on the other side of the house, ground level for them.:twisted:

Major mistake was saying "they should be done at least every six months or less to look good" Great I'll get you back every six months.:banghead:

Give your hedge trimmer to them. Tell them you can't get it started, but you don't think there's much wrong with it. They can have it if they get it working. They'll pull it over, it'll fire up, and they'll happily do their own hedges to make use of their good fortune ;^)

Your problem is saying you will hedge them in the first place. I stopped offering hedging as a service a few years ago.

So did I, but she's sneaky. Just asked standing next to a shrub she was trimming and stupid me said yes I have one. Didn't see the other side of the house from there.

It's a fifty acre place, lots of trees so not so bad really and she owns a sheep property about an hour away so best to persevere and get some more work.

Good idea John, I've still got my old one. It won't idle, Chinese so not fixable but would work if I'm ever in that spot.

Are 2stroke trimmers pretty good? I have an old B&D electric, but the cable's a pita, and the cutter's weak. I usually end up using a chainsaw. Every once in awhile I see a used 2stroke trimmer for sale. Worth getting?

I only bought that chinese one to do a climbing rose and never thought I'd use it much. Had it for eight years and it did a lot of work. Think I paid about $200 for it. The Shindaiwa is a lot lighter and a lot cheaper than the Stihl, I'd buy another one if I wore this one out.

That's not going to happen. Still got a little Tanaka I bought back in the 80's. I'd never use electric.

The chainsaw doesn't work well on tiny stuff. It's more like butchering than cutting, even with a sharp chain. And you can be assured that the "comb" on the bar will catch everything staying in the hedge and jam on it. I can't see it being able to make an hedge looks pretty and it will surely wreck your mood just trying to use it.
Maybe it can be useful if you have to dismantle a bramble bush or make your way through the vines.

About 50 years ago, my dad bought a chainsaw and an hedge trimmer attachment as a kit. I don't know the brand. A real edge trimer mounted on the chainsaw instead of the bar and chain. A short length of a toothless chain delivered the power. It was heavy but worked quite well... when the chainsaw wanted to start. Ok when hot, but no way when cold. Problem to begin the day !
Then he bought a real hedge trimmer, electric this time. Much better, even if he has to use a 300' extension cord.
He bought an other chainsaw, a Mac culloch, willing to start cold. What a progress. But don't run out of gas, because it would never start again till it's cold (vapor lock). Short day !

These two chainsaws must hold a record number of the cussing words thrown at them.

I only bought that chinese one to do a climbing rose and never thought I'd use it much. Had it for eight years and it did a lot of work. Think I paid about $200 for it. The Shindaiwa is a lot lighter and a lot cheaper than the Stihl, I'd buy another one if I wore this one out.

That's not going to happen. Still got a little Tanaka I bought back in the 80's. I'd never use electric.
I've used gas powered hedge trimmers for 40 years. Haven't messed with electric (with cord) hedge trimmers since I was a kid. About 2 years ago I bought a DeWalt battery powered hedge trimmer and other than the annoying safety lugs on the bar it works great. I can run them for well over an hour on one battery. The light weight is great when I have to reach out.

Yeah, I figured I would be running gas powered stuff until the day I died.

So did I, but she's sneaky. Just asked standing next to a shrub she was trimming and stupid me said yes I have one. Didn't see the other side of the house from there.

It's a fifty acre place, lots of trees so not so bad really and she owns a sheep property about an hour away so best to persevere and get some more work.

Good idea John, I've still got my old one. It won't idle, Chinese so not fixable but would work if I'm ever in that spot.
Some times you just have to take one for the team.

Gave my 026 another look today. I was hoping I misremembered the problem, and it could be a clutch, but that isn't it. Best case is some new rings, and worst is p&c. When I looked in the exhaust port before, I didn't see anything terrible, but I need to pull it apart. It also isn't getting oil to the chain. It's missing the plates inside, so maybe that's why it isn't getting oil in the bar. Seems like it should work without the plate, but it oils when the bar isn't on, so I dunno.

Graded beams today. Boss did the steel walking. He didn't look like he liked it much. Looked like 12" beams, which is pretty skinny, but it was a short span, so no splice plates which is nice. I have to work either Sunday night or Monday night coming up, and I'll probably be walking that one. Nice big beams, but long as hell, and it has splice plates.

20210602_092430.jpg

It should oil without the metal plates, I don't know if the 026 had metal plates without looking at mine. If you see oil pumping out the hole and the bar is clean, oil is getting to the chain unless the chain damaged the plastic around the oil slot letting oil leak out beside the bar. I modified the oil pump on my 026 to pump more.

What was wrong with how it ran?

For the oil, all I see is a tube deepish inside the magnesium case. There's nothing else there. Seems like there should be something else, but I haven't thoroughly studied the ipl. The biggest ommision on the saw is the lack of a plate. Without a b&c, it oils while running, but it isn't getting on the bar. The b&c is too hot to touch after tens of seconds cutting some locust, and it's lost a bunch of paint from it happening earlier when I didn't notice.

For the way it runs, the chain will stop turning in the cut, and the rpms drop. I didn't notice it with the clapped out .325 b&c it came with. It started happening when I switched it to ⅜. Compression feels about right pulling it over, which is a little strange, and tuning sounds about right to my ear, but that isn't something I'm particularly good at. Looking in the exhaust port, it looked like it might have had minor scuffing, but nothing deep. Almost like a couple faint stripes were colored on. I was thinking some rings might fix it up assuming I didn't see anything terrible after taking the jug off.

I don't like 'em. I get vertigo walking laterally on beams like that. I'd rather climb 100' up a tree than walk a 12" beam 20' off the ground. I need something to hold on to up high.

For the oil, all I see is a tube deepish inside the magnesium case. There's nothing else there. Seems like there should be something else, but I haven't thoroughly studied the ipl. The biggest ommision on the saw is the lack of a plate. Without a b&c, it oils while running, but it isn't getting on the bar. The b&c is too hot to touch after tens of seconds cutting some locust, and it's lost a bunch of paint from it happening earlier when I didn't notice.

For the way it runs, the chain will stop turning in the cut, and the rpms drop. I didn't notice it with the clapped out .325 b&c it came with. It started happening when I switched it to ⅜. Compression feels about right pulling it over, which is a little strange, and tuning sounds about right to my ear, but that isn't something I'm particularly good at. Looking in the exhaust port, it looked like it might have had minor scuffing, but nothing deep. Almost like a couple faint stripes were colored on. I was thinking some rings might fix it up assuming I didn't see anything terrible after taking the jug off.
I'd want pictures of the piston through the exhaust port and of what you arent sure about with the oil system, and videos of it cutting and of the oil pumping out without the bar on. It should pump oil without air bubbles.

What size bar is on it? Is the oil pump adjustable? How full is the oil tank after it runs out of gas?

It would be easier to hear the 4 stroking to better hear how it is tuned if the muffler was modified at least a little. You can easily drill a couple extra outlet holes next to the original.

I'll try to get something together. The stuff I have is... 16" bar, non adjustable oiler. It was bought muffler modded. Not sure about the oil vs gas. I haven't used it enough to get a legit measurement. I also found it was leaking a bit from the cap. When I packed it away tonight, I used a scrench to tighten the cap. Everything's pretty wet under the clutch cover though. It just isn't getting to the bar.

I get that, i like holding on too, but if i have a beam clamp thing to prevent a fall I'm good. I've been climbing out and working on a crane beam... which is floating lol. I'm used to stuff not moving, and this wobbles all over the place!

What I REALLY hate is walking along a beam, and the cable I'm clipped to droops, so my lanyard is kinda pulling back and down, especially when it gets caught on kinks, or stray wires, and there's nothing there to even touch. Just running my fingers along the cable as I walk helps keep my head calm, and keeps me from feeling like I'm swaying.

Just looked at the plans for the one I'm doing this weekend. Two 151' spans x four 22" beams. Like the one I did last year, or the year before. That wasn't too bad aside from the drizzle. The big beams are luxurious to walk :^D

edit:
By crane beam, I guess you mean a tower crane, and you're out on the boom. I don't think I could do that. I'd be fine climbing a ladder unclipped all the way up the tower, but I'd flip out having to go out on the boom.

We almost never have the nice tie off cables, we just get a beam clamp thing that clips on the beam, or a choker thing which is often just a wire rope choker. You then have to drag that with you as you go. The smaller beams you can walk on the lower flange, which allows you to steady yourself with your inside ankle/leg. A bunch of the time we gotta climb out on insulated pipes, which can roll on you, anyways a fun time :lol:

Back