How'd it go today?

Tried renting a 50' tow-behind lift today.
They went to a 45', about a year and a half ago. I really needed that extra 5', but it was a rush, as the apartment complex's tree is in two neighbors' yards as of 2 days ago. The remaining trunk is a crispy alder top on a dying, plump base, still somewhat green, in a ravine.

I'll take Miriam and her girls for bucket rides in the morning, before i head back for another round.

I'll get a crane for the rest of the alder. 5' more woulda (maybe mighta) made it.

20210608_174344.jpg

Ha, ha, yeah it's a standing seam metal roof. I'll take a few pictures along the way. We need to replace a bunch of the underlayment due to rot from the leaking current roof.

82°, 84% humidity. Got home from work early, and decided to make the grass shorter before the rain started. Didn't quite make it, but the rain didn't make me any wetter. Kicked my ass. 18 weeks to go...

Generator came today, and I'm expecting a backordered steel ring from TreeStuff, so that's kinda fun, but I haven't even unboxed the genny yet. Gonna chill for a bit before I tackle that.

edit:
Oh, I staked a house out today with a nice view over a big field. Got to see birds chase cicadas in the air. The bugs are so big, you can easily see them from a distance. I was rooting for the cicadas. I kinda like those big dumb things :^D I guess cicada years are a nice bonanza for the birds. It's like Christmas every 17 years,

Last edited:
Looking forward to hear your impressions of that WEN genny, John. I hope you are as satisfied with yours as I am with mine.

You sure has hell got a good price on it...I was seriously tempted to buy another after seeing that listing on their site, along with the series link kit, but decided against it. Might regret that, someday :).

Initial impression of the generator is very favorable. Added oil, a half gallon of fuel, and it started second pull. Very quiet, and low vibration. I didn't think to check if it actually made electricity before I turned it to the [Off] position, and didn't want to go round up something to test with, but it should work fine. Very pleased so far. Thanks again Burnham :^)

Cicadas hitting 88 decibels - annoying trying to work as they’re dismal fliers - keep running into you.
And we have 11 Mississippi Kites here (not usually in our area) catching them in midair and eating them.
I have tinnitus so it sounds like that to me all the time. Sucks constantly asking people to speak up because they need to be louder than the ringing in my ears if I'm going to hear them.

Back in 2009 on our first trip to the Sequoias, we were sitting in the hammocks up in a big one, watching the sun set.
It was totally quiet and no wind, a beautiful evening.
All of a sudden Richard looked at me and said: " I bet your tinnitus is really loud right now"

Yep, after that it sure was.

I had a small fan running in my bedroom until last month to provide some ambient noise. It got a bearing noise, so I unplugged it. It was used, and I ran it about 56,860 hours. I'm getting used to the quiet again, but some days the noise in my ears sucks. More like static than ringing, but I'm worried about doing more damage.

My tinnitus doesn't bother me near as much as my deafness does.
Yesterday I quit splitting wood and went to the supermarket without putting my hearing aids in..
A woman came up and started talking to me, and with her wearing a mask, I couldn't read her lips.
I also couldn't recognize her because of the mask, so it turned into a total F-up.
Eventually she lowered the mask briefly, and I recognized her ( She had stopped dying her hair and had gone from artificial black to beautiful grey).

I really need to learn not to leave the house without my hearing aids.

More of the perpetual liquid sunshine here today, so it was a bid day. While driving down the highway, low tire light comes on. I stopped, checked the tires, saw nothing amiss, reset the light and proceeded. About 15 miles down the road, it came on again. This time, I could tell the right rear was low. This makes the fourth time in the last three years I’ve had flats on the Accord, and it’s ALWAYS the rear right. It was still raining and I was five miles away from the job I was going to bid, so I sped on to the job. The open garage was empty, so I pulled in. Customer had not yet arrived to meet me, so I jacked the car up and pulled the tire. Took less than a minute to spot a bit of metal protruding from the tire. Worked it a bit and got it out. It was a cut nail. Haven’t seen one in wire quite a while, so I have no idea where I picked it up. Furthermore, it was stuck in the tire BACKWARD. The tiny square end was all that was showing, and it was stuck in the tire perpendicularly. I’ll never understand how that nail punches in head-first....plugged it, re-inflated, got it back on, bid (and got) the job and on my merry way...

634037A1-5DE8-4917-8841-5DDEBCEF455B.jpeg

Plugging tires is great. Sucks when you have to, but it's great that it works. I can plug a tire faster than I can change one.

I’ve plugged many a tire on the vehicle, but I had on “nice” clothes and didn’t want to get down on the ground so I pulled it.

Easier that way if you don't mind pulling the tire. Leaving it on the vehicle is risky to knuckles and elbows getting the plug in, especially on a passenger car.

Got to add some rubber cement to my kit. The plugs are “pre” gummied, but a coat of rubber cement lubes the plug for easier insertion, and (IMO) gives more security to the whole deal.

I’ve been plugging tires for 30+ years. Always have a Slime kit with me. I’ve had a few holes big enough they required two plugs, and twice it’s taken three to plug the hole. One of those times took some Slime in addition, and it didn’t hold but a day or so. But it got me home.

Back