The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

pantheraba

More biners!!!
Just having a kukri puts you light years ahead of many collectors. Good find. Keep your eyes open...more to be found I am sure.

pantheraba

More biners!!!
Not sure if this link will work here....the Bando style I study has a lot of videos finally being shared. Our Burmese teacher has for many years "played his cards close to his chest" and not encouraged too much sharing of our system. As he has gotten older he has loosened up. Here's a video I did about 15 years ago. If you want to see other Animal Systems you can search the FB page of the American Bando Association (the non-profit one...there are several that show up started by our members that didn't have a clue about what they were doing).

treesmith

TreeHouser
Impressive! You said 15 years ago... would you say you’re better now than then? Obviously 15 more years of training would make a difference, but you’re a tad older than me and I know what age can do. At 52, I’d say I’m in as good shape as I was at 30. But I’m slower getting up in the mornings, and bumps and knocks take longer to heal!

treesmith

TreeHouser
Nope. I meant in climbing shape. I tore my left bicep in August 2015. Until then I could do several pull ups. Until I got a limb/log on me last February, I could do 100+ pushups straight. Two fractures in my pelvis and one in my left hip set me back a ways.

cory

TreeHouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
100 straight in good form? Thats a little hard to believe but if true that's insane.

What happened with the log accident if you don't mind saying.

treesmith

TreeHouser
By the time I got to the 80-90 mark, they were a bit rushed, but I did them in pretty good form.

Tornado hit a nearby town. I went to help get a tree off a house for a previous customer. Had it down to three points of contact on the roof. A guy there with an excavator was grabbing them and moving them as I cut them. First and second went fine. LAST cut....he lost control of it when it snapped/sprang back. It recoiled, knocking me sprawling, and as he lost his grip in it, it came down across my lower back.

treesmith

TreeHouser
I asked the emergency room doc how long I’d be down. He said four to six weeks. Then he asked what I did for a living. He just shook his head. Two weeks after I did a small storm job (really small)...let my help stack brush and I just rode the Boxer. Third week I was grinding stumps. Four weeks after the accident I climbed again. Took it slow and easy (and painfully...)

pantheraba

More biners!!!
Impressive! You said 15 years ago... would you say you’re better now than then? Obviously 15 more years of training would make a difference, but you’re a tad older than me and I know what age can do. At 52, I’d say I’m in as good shape as I was at 30. But I’m slower getting up in the mornings, and bumps and knocks take longer to heal!
First....glad you weathered that injury...bad but certainly could have been worse.

Re: now vs then....I was in really good shape...not as good now. When I made that video I remember realizing at the end of one of the days I had done 60 sweeps...that's a lot of low stuff, up and down...if I did 10 now I'd be ready to die probably. I do more yoga type stuff now...and dha (sword) and Indian clubs. I had worked up to 19 pullups at one time...probably could do 8-9 now. And if I don't stretch/get ready to do strenuous things I seem to get more twinges and pains. I get them anyway but not as bad if I make myself stretch/warmup.

Here's an example of two of the styles of yoga I train....dhanda (staff - tree limb!) and longyi (rope!)...items we all love. This is from a demo a few years ago:

cory

TreeHouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like that staff stuff and whoa it got real intense toward the end, a headstand on a hardwood floor, that's hardcore. Very soothing music too.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!