The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

Just having a kukri puts you light years ahead of many collectors. Good find. Keep your eyes open...more to be found I am sure.

Not sure if this link will work here....the Bando style I study has a lot of videos finally being shared. Our Burmese teacher has for many years "played his cards close to his chest" and not encouraged too much sharing of our system. As he has gotten older he has loosened up. Here's a video I did about 15 years ago. If you want to see other Animal Systems you can search the FB page of the American Bando Association (the non-profit one...there are several that show up started by our members that didn't have a clue about what they were doing).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wont play for me but I dig the opening horse stance

Can you do as many pull ups now as when 30? Don't lie.

100 straight in good form? Thats a little hard to believe but if true that's insane.

What happened with the log accident if you don't mind saying.

Geezus that sucks, sorry to hear.

Fug!!!!!

Impressive! You said 15 years ago... would you say you’re better now than then? Obviously 15 more years of training would make a difference, but you’re a tad older than me and I know what age can do. At 52, I’d say I’m in as good shape as I was at 30. But I’m slower getting up in the mornings, and bumps and knocks take longer to heal!

First....glad you weathered that injury...bad but certainly could have been worse.

Re: now vs then....I was in really good shape...not as good now. When I made that video I remember realizing at the end of one of the days I had done 60 sweeps...that's a lot of low stuff, up and down...if I did 10 now I'd be ready to die probably. I do more yoga type stuff now...and dha (sword) and Indian clubs. I had worked up to 19 pullups at one time...probably could do 8-9 now. And if I don't stretch/get ready to do strenuous things I seem to get more twinges and pains. I get them anyway but not as bad if I make myself stretch/warmup.

Here's an example of two of the styles of yoga I train....dhanda (staff - tree limb!) and longyi (rope!)...items we all love. This is from a demo a few years ago:

I like that staff stuff and whoa it got real intense toward the end, a headstand on a hardwood floor, that's hardcore. Very soothing music too.

There has been a lot of crappy martial arts coming out of the US.
Bill Wallace has always kept clear of that.

This is a really good video.

I'd give anything to be able to move like that when I'm 75.

Very good video...I was at a seminar in Houston last October and Bill Wallace was teaching there...a Bushi-Ban seminar. He is still very good, fluid, active, a real jokester...always cutting up.

That is my instructor in the beret (he was also teaching at the clinic) with Mr. Wallace.

Bushiban Houston Oct 2019  (21).jpg

Bushiban Houston Oct 2019  (32).jpg

Bushiban Houston Oct 2019  (11).jpg

Bushiban Houston Oct 2019  (10).jpg

Great vid, Stig, thx for posting.

You are a karate guy afaik, what do you think of what Bill said? How does it compare to the karate you do.

Nice pics, Gary

Btw, speaking of martial arts, are any of ya interested in the big ufc fight this weekend with Jorge Masdival?? He's amazing imo. He was holding out for more money so ufc bypassed him for the title shot on Fight Island in Dubais. But the guy they gave the shot to just dropped out with covid so they redid Mas deal and now he is stepping in on 1 week notice, having to lose 21 lbs to make 170.

Hopefully Masvidal will serve up a 3 piece combo. He is the real deal and deserves more money.

I have followed him for a few years. When he knocked out Darren Till a lot of the US fans were calling DT a bum and taking the piss. Masvidal, came out and said you guys saying that, have no idea what you’re on about. Till had a stellar record in Pro Muay Thai before he went into MMA. he also stated that DT was a stud and a real OG, as had almost knocked Masvidal out earlier fight.

He paid respect where respect was due, same with the BMF and Diaz.

Ben Askren on the other hand deserved everything he got LOL.

I love the street Jesus.

Back