"so....hows bizness"

Wrong word haha, meant literal. Posting from my phone using swipeit predictive text. It's pretty cool, just gotta watch what it picks until I get more fluent.

I'm swamped with work too, except it's roofing....YIPPEE!!!!..............KNOT!

I've thought about offering to help however I could, but if fell and broke my foot again, I'd be majorly hosed all around. Are they low pitched roofs like the one at that oak I took down for the church, or are they stupid steep like mine?

I was actually thinking of you the other day Carl for an odd job I was offered. Spyder lift would have been perfect for it. Painting a cross on a church steeple.

Just thought it would have been a good job for the spyder. I passed on it. My thought was it was probably a job you would have taken right up with the equipment you have.
I referred it out to a local guy.
But yeah... You in general I guess, but nuttin to get sentimental about... :lol:

Well, wrong name.. Yeah.. the genie. Would have been a good platform to work it from. Figure scraping then painting. Would have sucked on a rope to do. And I doubt I would trust being tied off on a wooden cross that has been up in the air for a while in these parts :|::lol:

I was thinking about Carl the other day too. Then I decided to get the cantaloupe instead of the honeydew melon.

I'm glad you all have plenty of work, I don't know what's going on here it's real slow.

I had to "do a Brian" and fire a client on Friday. I don't do that often and things are tight but this one had to go. Shonky real estate agent, only ever had his cell phone number and he always paid cash. Done 5 or 6 jobs for him.

He didn't seem to want to pay for the last one, " I'll ring you next week and pay you":what:

He didn't ring. 2 weeks later I rang him, "Sorry I'm in a meeting, I'll call back". No call and when I ring no answer.

Well I tracked him down. He has a good website but his office.:lol:

It was like something out of an old Humphery Bogart movie. Sleazy, upstairs over an indoor sports centre in the back of an industrial complex. He even had a secretary, [his wife] you should have seen the look on her face, we had meet before.

I got paid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad you got paid, Steve. I spent too many years working for cheapskates and slimeballs thinking they could string me out or blow me off, after beating me down on my price before I did the job. I was working 6-7 days per week and was always broke. Since I quit working for those types of people I only work 4 days a week and I have a lot more money in the bank. It seems counter intuitive but you end up further ahead. Probably because you're not spending every free minute chasing dollars from people who owe you money.

I've thought about offering to help however I could, but if fell and broke my foot again, I'd be majorly hosed all around. Are they low pitched roofs like the one at that oak I took down for the church, or are they stupid steep like mine?

I'm just frustrated over the one I'm on now. It's plank decking, built in the 40s or 50s. You tear off for two hours, patch bad decking for two hours, then spend the rest of the day nailing back on, hoping you don't bust another plank. The next three are plywood, so should be a breeze. It wouldn't be so bad, but I'm out of shape for roofing.

Whatchu mean "stupid steep"? Yours ain't steep....it's just right for roofing. A "flat" pitch, say 4-12 or 5-12 is hard on the back. 10-12 through 12-12 is steep enough to need roof jacks for most folks. 6-12 through 9-12 are the perfect pitches for roofing as far as being easy on the back. Jest have to watch it and don't slide off.....:D

A few shingles blew off of Doc's roof the other day and he asked me to come and nail them back. I was all like WTF? Why can't YOU nail it? He told me the roff was too steep and he kept sliding down. So, I went and by cracky he was right! I had to don my saddle and tie off to his front porch. It was a beeotch, but I got a philly cheesesteak sammich outta it.

I'm just frustrated over the one I'm on now. It's plank decking, built in the 40s or 50s. You tear off for two hours, patch bad decking for two hours, then spend the rest of the day nailing back on, hoping you don't bust another plank. The next three are plywood, so should be a breeze. It wouldn't be so bad, but I'm out of shape for roofing.

Whatchu mean "stupid steep"? Yours ain't steep....it's just right for roofing. A "flat" pitch, say 4-12 or 5-12 is hard on the back. 10-12 through 12-12 is steep enough to need roof jacks for most folks. 6-12 through 9-12 are the perfect pitches for roofing as far as being easy on the back. Jest have to watch it and don't slide off.....:D

Hopefully you're getting paid for all that repair. I figured planking would be stronger than plywood, but I guess it depends how it's done.

Yeah, ours is 8/12. I guess once you get settled it's not bad, but I'm sure not a fan of working on non "flat" roofs. All gotta know our place, eh? :lol:

If It makes you feel better, I've got another job for you. That makes 6, for now.:lol:

Waiting for the next wave of phone calls to start.

Good weather for finishing the already contracted jobs, but need bad weather to stimulate the next round.

Man, work is crazy for me right now. I'm keeping us busy, but I'm worn the f' out from all of it.

I wish I could get someone else to do all the running around work, so I could just climb. Although, it's probably going to end up, me hiring a climber to do the majority of the climbing while I do all the running around.

I'm just in that odd middle area, where I don't feel like I have enough work to pay someone else to climb like I do, but I need to take some of the load off myself before I break myself.

I was out until dark bidding today. I am scheduled up until my December jury duty date and then soft scheduled after that.

I'm happy for you Darin. I know you have stressed through winters past.

Good deal, Andrew and Darin.

I just got a call about grinding a stump in a basement. No clue how real that call was, but he said he just bought the house and apparently they built over it or something back in the day. Claimed it was a 30" stump, and wanted to know about explosives. I told him explosives would cost far more, and that if it was as he described, open a door, walk down some stairs, and there's the stump, it would probably cost $3-4k.

One of the stranger phone calls I've recieved lately. Especially since they called at 9:52. :roll:

I ground a couple in a golf course clubhouse a few years back.

Back