"so....hows bizness"

On bigger jobs I've been offering no interest payment plans, if they seem to get hung up on the price. So far I've only done one this year, but I put out another about 3 weeks ago. The work still isn't done, I'm thinking or perhaps hoping they are waiting for the next rental checks to come in.

I offer a plan like that.. IF it is arranged prior to work performed. If a customer is tight I try to work on a plan that they can afford per tree or something. Then I can schedule for their budget. Most take that option. And since I am making repeat visits, I often get more work from it.

I prefer to do all the work currently needed/wanted at once. Get half down, then $250 or $500 per month till it's paid off starting a month after completion.

If someone tried to pull that after the fact, I would become somewhat less than hospitable.

Sorta of how hospitable I am feeling about it. They wanted it done ASAP before the end of the month. They are teachers and got their pay check last week. I scheduled by their wishes as was to be paid final upon completion at the end of the month. They have been very good customers in the past, so I am less apt to worry about it. Just kinda sux right now with the weather we are having and bills due.
The deposit covered costs. So I am just waiting on my profits.

I am getting darned near everything I bid. I am booked out for a month and a half with about a dozen job scheduled out in December and January for discounted rates. I am not sure I'll be laying folks off this winter.

I get most of my bids as well. At some point I'd rather get part of something rather than all of nothing.

Absolutely.

I want all the work I can get at current rates. If I could charge more and increase my profits/gross for the year that'd be nice, but my volume isn't there to really risk chancing it.

Hope you can hold on to all your employees for the winter, Darin. That must feel good to have that schedule. When you are booked that far out, are you taking a deposit for securing your schedule's slot, or just a signed contract, in order to try to avoid the "I found someone that could do it sooner/ cheaper.", or just not worried about it?

Business has been pretty good here. People getting ready for the winter. The word is wet/ snowy for this La Nina. I've been thinking about financing a used chipper to replace mine, but don't know if I should bite the bullet. Seems like only about $300 a month for 36 months for $10k, but winter is feast or famine. It would be an easy decision if I was free and clear on everything, and didn't have a mortgage. Didn't prune many fruit trees last winter. Very few calls for it. People didn't "need" it. Hopefully, after two years growth, or more, people will see their trees gone wild and want them pruned.

We should get an early burn season this year (due to the rain) which will help us financially balance the rainy and snowy days.
Landed a part of a fuel reduction grant this year, so we will have that all winter and spring to play with. They will be masticating the larger portion of the grant. We get the property line to clear around part of the 80 acres and the shaded fuel break on one side. Hoping for a good winter. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Been nice and steady all summer with only a couple slow weeks, although I've had almost no backlog at all this year. As of this afternoon I have absolutely nothing scheduled but I'm sure I'll end up working at least a couple more jobs this week.

Todays job went from 5 trees to 15 in 30 minutes. They didn't believe how fast the crane was. Work is coming in an even clip for me.

Calls are slowing down, but I've had a good season so far. Did a LOF service on the truck this morning and got a call for a removal this afternoon. I'm loving this cooler weather.

Every time I'm about to run out of work the phone blows up again. As of last night I had nothing scheduled. I ended up working today, I have work for tomorrow, Saturday, Monday and I have another call from a homeowner that I haven't returned yet.

The calls have slowed down a bit but the ones I get are for big Plane trees and big silver maples. My schedule is getting more difficult the further toward winter we get. I can do big trees over houses and power lines but I'll admit to being a wuss, I want easy stuff. Its about time for me to get fatter for winter and these big jobs are slowing that process down.

Business has been pretty good here. People getting ready for the winter. The word is wet/ snowy for this La Nina. I've been thinking about financing a used chipper to replace mine, but don't know if I should bite the bullet. Seems like only about $300 a month for 36 months for $10k, but winter is feast or famine. It would be an easy decision if I was free and clear on everything, and didn't have a mortgage. Didn't prune many fruit trees last winter. Very few calls for it. People didn't "need" it. Hopefully, after two years growth, or more, people will see their trees gone wild and want them pruned.

Sean, you may already do this but if not, it works quite well.
Keep a list of every fruit and small ornamental customer you do work for. In the winter send out a reminder that "now is the time to prune your fruit trees,etc." "would you like to schedule your apple trees for the same time this year?" That sort of thing. You get a really high yes rate and it fills up the calender with easier low impact work, great for the books, crazy rainy days and wind.

The calls have slowed down a bit but the ones I get are for big Plane trees and big silver maples. My schedule is getting more difficult the further toward winter we get. I can do big trees over houses and power lines but I'll admit to being a wuss, I want easy stuff. Its about time for me to get fatter for winter and these big jobs are slowing that process down.

Lol, that's just how I feel.

Back