O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I envy the Amsteel in a way, Willie. I use a cable my dad has when I need a really strong pull. 1/2" x ~100'...heavy as all get out. I used it once in a heavily leaning water oak. Climbed up, had a buddy of mine tie it on so I could pull it up and hook it, then hooked it to his John Deere 440 skidder's winch. He played out a bunch of his cable to get a better angle, and I notched it and started to back cut. He got it started tipping, then lost traction, and the tree set back. He set the blade down and dug four holes with the tires so he was "scotched" in, and finally got it to go over. Not fun in my book. [Seeing a skidder slipping backward while pulling a tree] + [after the notch and back cut] = "awkward".

Haha, no doubt! Angles are important too. I guyed my yarder off to a d-7 that we dug in but it was on a steep hill and about level with the top of the boom, we had to reset it every few turns as I kept dragging it down the hill and my off side outriggers would get further and further off the ground!

I use a cable my dad has when I need a really strong pull. 1/2" x ~100'....

Take an equivalent diameter of stable braid, and it has an higher average tensile breaking strength than the rated safe working load of wire rope. Jump up to 5/8" stable braid, and it about doubles. Some variance with the types of wire rope.

Everything on the tree was basically over a shed...hardly anything at all on back side. It was growing at the top of an embankment to boot. Simplest way to cut it was set line, pull and cut. Had it not been wet in the swampy area down the hill, it wouldn't have been too bad.

Everything on the tree was basically over a shed...hardly anything at all on back side.

In that case I know I'd have rigged it out instead of pulling it all at once. I wouldn't trust the hinge to hold under that circumstance.

Would have, but sort of an old acquaintance. Did the job for $300...gave my buddy a hunnert of it for bringing his skidder over to pull it. Being wet/slick was the only complication.

How you going to use the Amsteel Willie? If attached to a winch or vehicle, then how-so? As You are hampered by the knoting issue.

Perhaps use the spice to the pulling end & just wrap the rope 20 times around the tree to tie off :)

Few wraps around the tree and shackle the eye. At the other end is another eye that I can run a couple loop slings through in basket config and hang blocks from for mechanical advantage. 1/2" stable braid in that system. Kicking back and forth using the grcs and 3 to 1, or 2 to 1 and out to the knuckle boom if there is a path on the road. Any thoughts?

Shortening has always been the issue. We have some relatively small diameter line (in comparison), that we use with a large porta wrap (a reg coates one) that we attach to the vehicle or winch, thus avoiding the problem & providing flexibility.
If you are working within the SWL of the Stable Braid, then no issue, but you might find it has alot of stretch initially before you really get pulling & require a deft touch to correctly pre-tension the line.

Yeah, I remember the stretch from trying to do a 200' zipline at a kids camp once. Ended up going shorter.

Not a tree related item, but UPS Santa stopped by the house this morning. This Ford Racing throttle body is 5mm bigger than stock and ported for better flow.

IMG_2176.jpg

Brian, just to get clear on this.
I don't envy you that car AT ALL! ( If we had a "green with envy" smiley, it would have gone here!:lol:)

Got these from Japan today:D
A pair for me and one for Richard.

Jay has gone to a lot of trouble getting them for us.
Since I have big feet, mine had to be custom made.

I am just so thrilled with them. They'll be just the thing for trimming hedges on the steep slopes at "our" castle.
Not to mention, summer logging.

P1020063.JPG P1020064.JPG

So, does just the big toe fit in that section? It sure looks mighty large, like there's room for another toe orrrrr something?

Glad you like them, Stig, and the size is OK. MB, they aren't so large on the inside. Without the plastic toe protection insert, they are more comfortable. Definitely a trade off with that.

I just ordered a new Fly climbing line and a nice, heavy steel snap. I remember how I hated the Fly at first... but now I love it. You just gotta treat it right!

Back