Replacement part for my rope runner.

Holy wars have been started over such a question !! (okay, personal bias: I have to admit here I don't regularly use the RopeWrench or the ZigZag)

1. For me the Rope Runner is still the best all around , great control and works over a wide range of different ropes, body weights, even if you add a 660 on your harness while working a big spar down. I have three of the four I have acquired over the years, having gifted one to a friend.

2. The Hitchhiker runs a close second and is also great for control, though not as fun for flips and burning out as the RopeRunner. I have two of them, having gifted one to a friend.

3. I love the Akimbo, but rank it third in my arsenal as I find it a bit more temperamental (really splitting hairs here, they are all great climbing devices, and if I had to choose just one I'd have a hard time). Some find they are always adjusting the friction settings, even over a single long climb, if the humidity changes, or as a rope stretches and flattens. It is a bit worse in the rain and a pitchy tree can lead to a full stop situation. I still climb on the "Go-Fund-Me" original Akimbo, and based upon what others have said about their Rock Exotika (RE) version I have not bothered to get one yet.
That being said, the Akimbo being mid-line-attachable is the bomb; especially for doing crane jobs where you are relocating your TIP from the hook to the spar, and back, etc. You'll perhaps find an alternative HUT helps with the RE Akimbo, too.

The ease of use of the Akimbo makes me lazy. Unless I know I need the cutting edge all-out-blazing-rip-roaring benefits of the RopeRunner, I simply pop open the Akimbo lay in the rope, and I am on my way. It is a joy to use. And the older I get the less "Johnny Pro" I get and the more Akimbo I find I am...

Johnny Pro:

I didn't know it would take 2 ropes.

How did he retrieve all that rope if they had a 'canopy anchor ' in the crane boom?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect he just had the rope doubled like you would in DdRT so retrieval would be the same. The difference being that both rope ends reached the ground and did not move above as a normal DdRT system would have.

The RR in the OP doesn't look like it would take 2 ropes nor doubled?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
20200509_052954.jpg 20200509_052936.jpg
I haven't climbed on it yet, but this should make it easier to adjust. I'm not trying to start a holy war. I dont have time to wait for parts, so I added this.

Last edited:
The RR in the OP doesn't look like it would take 2 ropes nor doubled?

I seem to recall he was using 2 x 8mm lines.

Back on topic. I have two RR’s, a BDB, RW and an Akimbo.

I use whatever I need for the task. Not really related to ascended type more thejob type and rope. Sticky sappy shit get apiece of tachyon, the BdB runs best on that. If I have a big prune and need a 60m rope. I tend to use the RR depending on which rope is the dryest.

I barely use the Akimbo. I have a couple of 60m lines it works well on, Sterling HTP 11mm an a Petzl 11m static line. To be fair, I rarely use those two ropes so that is probably the reason the akimbo collects dust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have sterling scion that I've been on for about 6 months with the RR. Dont get me wrong folks I want my RR too. I hope this is not going to be a weird transition to the Akimbo.

The Akimbo is a very nice tool, it works great. Unfortunately, to know how well it works for you, how well it meshes with your climbing style, will only become known after you have tried it.

For me, it is far nicer to use than the RR. That has far less to do with it being better and more to do with how it is different. Compact, rugged and midline attachable without pulling pins or removing parts and even the way it moves are all big pluses for me. I personally can't stand a tool that self tends to the point that it will take up slack without imput.

Back