O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

All chains will cut better after you file them. I have used Stihl chains for decades and file every one before I use it. If a saw is cutting like it has a brand new chain, then it's dull and needs a touch up with the file. That 'extra sharp' chain you experienced is how they should cut all the time.

Yes but it was cutting alot faster than a filed semi chisel.

I'm aware new chains cut slower than properly filed chains.

Got my stuff from wesspur...

IMG_20220624_142332175_HDR.jpg

They forgot the stickers :^( Oh, well. Probably would have been the same group. I always apply for stickers hoping to get something different, but they're always the same.

Aside from the rope, I'm pretty stoked about the cheap TargetLine throwline. I was watching Mumford's video on the magnetic throwbag he makes, and he uses TargetLine as the line. It's the nasty braided PE line, but a little smaller/tighter than the old school stuff. He says it doesn't tangle in short lengths, and the video affirmed that. He pulled an ugly tangle of line out of his pouch, but it straightened right out without knots. If it holds up, it'll be a good short line for in-tree use. <$8 for 75', so a cheap gamble if it doesn't work.

In two weeks we go south for a month or two to log on Island Møn.
I ordered new caulk boots for the whole crew, except myself from Hoffman boots in Idaho.
Had a LOT of trouble with the money transfer, so the whole thing got delayed.

Today they landed at my place.
Boots, replacement caulks and wrenches!!!

Come monday, there will be a lot of happy fallers, when I hand them out.

P1090082.JPG

You said they're pretty rare out your way, didn't you stig? Mainly you and your associates wear them?

Yep.
Far as I know, we are the only crew in the country.
Comes from me learning about them in California.

Today, I can't imagine logging without caulks.
Beech logs are slippery like a soaped pig, when wet.

I use them as a rite of passage for the apprentices.
When they get good at falling, they get a pair of caulk boots.

With shipping they cost $580.

Those Haix protectors last a long time, though, if you don't stick a saw in them.
I'm on the 4th season of logging with my current pair.

One of my guys told me, that with the increased production from standing firm, he figured they paid for themselves in a season.
Not far off, methinks.

I've worn my calk boots once, right after I slipped on a big buttress root of a fir I was felling. Ouch! You have to get accustomed to no-pivoting without lifting your foot, when desired.

I have those too, for winter logging.
Those are not rated for Europe, so I can't let employees use them.

Last edited:
Which leaves you with a EU certified boot, but with CAULKS!!!!!!!!!!
Go for a pair, Pete.
I can promise you won't regret it.

It’s a real shame they only use Hiax boots, as the last does not fit my feet well. I might have to do some searching to get a more suited pair converted

It would be cool to send them a pair of pfanner air Tirol boots - time to save some pennies (just had to replace a truck unexpectedly so a little light in the pocket)

Write them and ask if they'll do it.
They are super nice folks.
I was planning on swinging by Kellogg idaho and trying some of their boots on the way to visit Dave and Jim.
Then first chemo, then Corona put an end to that.

The Ninja has a Protos now. He was in town for the last week and a half and we knocked out an absolute ton of work, he's a straight up tree machine.

He's also cheap AF so I was rather shocked that he sprang for a $350 helmet over the $100 Petzl he already owned. He says it's a great hard hat.

Back