O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Swinging your right foot forward, it is too easy to snag on a left pant leg or shoe lace (if you have a loop/ slipped bight).

I can see it. I won't wear shoes/boots with open hooks because they tear up my ankles, and eventually the hooks get ripped off. Those hooks are pretty small, but they still cause problems.

I've snagged a lace on the hook of the other boot.

I have a Jetstep. Just kicked out of it accidently. Maybe the springs should be a bit stronger. Its nearly new.

I just got these gloves from aldi...

IMG_20220604_085606048.jpg

These are lg. I got xl last year, and surprisingly, they were too big. They still fit a little weird, but they might work. I'm gonna give them a trial later today. I'm posting cause y'all might want to try them if you have an aldi close by. When they're gone, they won't be back til next year(maybe). You can't try them on first, but a 3pack for $4 is a cheap gamble. YMMV about your local aldi stock. Everything's been weird the last year or so. Supply issues...

edit:
The gloves aren't that great for climbing. The thin body material readily sucks into hitches. Worse than the knit style gloves do. Oh, well. I'll use them til they're gone. Not like these things are around forever. They burn up pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Yea, xl is generally the best fit. My fingers are fairly long, but not that fat. That makes a good glove slightly loose in girth, but snugged up in my finger webbing. That's preferable to me than having the webs partially up my fingers. The xl style above was *very* roomy, and a sloppy fit. I'll use them eventually, and the fit would probably be decent over a liner, but that isn't something I need here in MD. Those slightly heavy dollar store gloves I posted previously are more than warm enough for winter here.

Keep em handy for any work around poison vines, and you won’t feel so bad about throwing them in the trash after.

Not on climbing gloves. I should give that a try. That's one of my tricks to extend life of my regular work gloves. Once they get too thrashed and full of holes, I cut the fingers off to make fingerless gloves.

Got this stuff today...

IMG_20220615_154918741_HDR.jpg Ordered May 1. The Silky was on backorder. My wesspur order is due middle of August :^D It's like the bad old days when you filled out a page from a catalog, mailed a check with it, and waited forever to get your stuff.

I have that same saw but by felco. I found it in woods, it's a nice little saw, can be good for traveling.

I got it for climbing, but when I'm not outfitted for work. I've had the need to make small cuts, and had to use my Swiss army knife. I could use it on my real job also, but I have a short fixed blade for that. I try to keep my stuff segregated. I can wear stuff out fast surveying.

I like stickers! This was my trial order from Arbsession. Good experience. They got to me right away, and offered to send the stuff that was in stock if desired. I declined cause it wasn't necessary. I'm vaguely irritated when companies send in stock items, and less than a week later I get the rest of the order. It's just wasteful when there isn't a rush. I'd rather they lower their prices than waste money and materials frivolously shipping stuff out. At least give the option like Arbsession did.

I recently ordered from Arbsesion, I needed a coupla small chains for a 201. Forever I've always had semi chisel for the 200s/201s (round file, rounded corner) and they always seemed to cut well.

Arb offered me chisel chain from "Archer" (round file, square corner) as well as semi chisel so I took one of each.

I installed the chisel chain and thought the performance was about the same as semi chisel. Then I beat up the edge first day working around storm damage fallen on top of stone wall and barbed wire. That basically never happens but whatever.

I filed it clean and omg it cuts like crazy now, crazy speed! Big difference compared to semi chisel

All chains will cut better after you file them. I have used Stihl chains for decades and file every one before I use it. If a saw is cutting like it has a brand new chain, then it's dull and needs a touch up with the file. That 'extra sharp' chain you experienced is how they should cut all the time.

Yes but it was cutting alot faster than a filed semi chisel.

I'm aware new chains cut slower than properly filed chains.

Back