O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

lxskllr

Treehouser
I've heard some ridiculous theories that black helmets are cool due to some kind of thermodynamics going on with the heat. I don't believe that for a second. Might be interesting to see if a black border on vents like the Vertex has increases airflow through them. I suspect not due to the small surface area, and lack of piping, but it would still be interesting.

BIGTWIG

Treeman
A black helmet will be hotter to the touch, sure.
I’ve worn a black helmet for 6-7 years now and could not tell you the difference vs. a lighter color.

flushcut

TreeHouser
I used to use a large MSR Dromedary bag as a solar shower when camping out in the bush. It’s just a black waterproof bag with a spout. Fill with water lay it out in the sun for a day and enjoy a nice hot shower. Black is hotter.

Burnham

Woods walker
Years ago, I laid a sheet of black Visqueen that I'd taken off the garden (winter weed and rain cover) on the lawn in the sun to dry...just for about 15 minutes. Browned up the grass quite nicely.

lxskllr

Treehouser
Black will last longer. I guess that's something in it's favor. You can be hot longer before you get another one!

treesmith

Banned
Helmets have a limited life span.
What is it based on? I understand they do, but what defines it as unusable? Crack? Becoming brittle? I have an Ecrin Roc that’s over 10 years old that’s still in good shape. I’ve replaced the innards once. Just like saddles have a lifespan. I’ve worn out four and am getting ready to retire the one I’m on now. All depends on how much use it sees.

lxskllr

Treehouser
I've only used plastic, but you can get a good idea on appearance. Inspect for crazing, and give it a good squeeze to see what it does. Five years seems like a reasonable, and somewhat conservative replacement schedule if you're using it for work. That's less than $100/year for even the best lids. If you're gonna wear a helmet, you might as well wear one that works. Otherwise, there's cheaper and more comfortable options. I keep my helmets bagged in the truck so sunlight(the worst enemy) isn't affecting it unless it's actually working.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
I have a good story about that.
My erstwhile partner was looking at his logging hard hat and noticing it had started to crack.
So I checked mine and it was WAY over due for throwing out. Full of cracks.
So on the way home I went by my dealer and bought a new one.
Next day I felled a medium oak next to a freeway, bit of a tricky fall.
As I was following the tree with my eyes, the World suddenly got black.
Woke up later and realized that the oak had triggered a small, 4" thick , but forest story tall, elm that had been dead so long it had completely rotted through.
That hit me in the back of my head hard enough to dent the new hard hat and discolor the plastic.
With the old one I'd have been a goner.

Drove by the dealer on the way home and bought a new hard hat.
" But you just got one yesterday?".
I showed it to him and he asked if he could keep it.
It was on display in his shop for a while, with the story.
Just to remind people to get a new hardhat regularly.

Personally, I don't need reminding any more.

Marc-Antoine

TreeHouser
The main culprit is the light, but other ways are possible to wreck the plastics. The energy brought by the light cuts the polymeric molecules when the right wave length matches the energy activation level of a particular link betwenen two atomes. Polyethylene family is very sensitive, polyester far less (but still). It's the same phenomenon with the fading of the varnish and the paint.
The molecules become gradually shorter. The material looses its overall strength and suppleness/elasticity, finally becomes brittle or even falls apart in tiny bits/dust. It's annoying for the garden table or the beatifull paint job on the truck, but for a PPE, that really sucks.
With plenty of pigments in the polymer, the ligth is stopped very soon under the surface and converted to heat, loosing its capability to cut the links. Each particule of pigment acts as a shield and protects the polymer just under it. Black or aluminum powder are the best for longevity.

Try to press or fold the piece of plastic. Usually, nothing happens. But with a weakened polymer, you can hear a distinct sound when the exposed surface is wrecked by thousands of microscopic cracks. Eventually not so microscopic.

treesmith

Banned
Years ago, when we were still raising chickens, we used ski rope to weather the curtains on the side of the chicken house. We had black ski rope and white. The white had to be replaced every year or two, while the black would last 4-5 years before breaking down. Not just a one or two time thing. We saw it many times over the years. My theory was that the black absorbed the UV, without breaking down, while the white somehow just couldn't handle it.

I've seen the same thing with 5-gallon buckets left out. White ones will get brittle long before black ones.

SkwerI

Treehouser
I have a 6x12 dump trailer I bought the same week as my Avant last year. I like having the dump trailer but it is sort of like a forestry bucket truck in that it is a compromise. It does several things but nothing well. I am not using it for hauling material, and it is too tall, too small and too heavy for hauling my loader around. This week I found a 16+2 car/equipment trailer on Craigslist for cheap. I picked it up yesterday and with a couple small modifications it will work very nicely. I want some stake sides for the front to contain my attachments, and I also want to add a 2" flat steel tiedown rail along the outside of the stake pockets on both sides of the trailer. Hard to hook a ratchet strap to a stake pocket safely. I also ordered an electric tongue jack just because I'm lazy.
\
IMG_0420.JPG IMG_0421.JPG

treesmith

Banned
I'm thinking of mounting an ATV winch on my big dump trailer to raise/lower the jack.

Last edited:

SkwerI

Treehouser
Did some work on the new trailer including new brakes and wheel bearings. If you consider even $20-25 per hour labor value, it's cheaper to buy the entire hub with bearings included than to replace the bearings. Also I sold my little 6x12 dump trailer today for full asking price. The guy was slightly older than me and driving a $100K GMC Denali. He brought a bank envelope full of cash.

I am already shopping and planning on ordering a new 7x14 dump trailer. If I am going to haul stuff then I need a trailer big enough to haul it.

SkwerI

Treehouser
In the last week since putting my dump trailer up for sale, I've had three jobs where I needed my dump trailer and made multiple trips due to not enough capacity. Yesterday morning I sold the small dump trailer and immediately began shopping for a bigger one. Found the perfect trailer in Sebastian and drove down there yesterday afternoon to look at it. Gave him a deposit and need to pick it up in the next week.
Today I finalized a deal to sell my log grapple that I have only used twice since I bought the machine a year ago. The money from that and the old dump trailer will almost pay for the new dump trailer. The new trailer is a 7x14, 3 feet high sides, tarp, ramps, 7 gauge floor, 10 gauge sides, very solid. Never heard of the brand before but it's about perfect for me. The guy bought it to use while his dump truck was in the shop, then he bought a track lift which came with a dump trailer to haul it. This one is 4-5 months old and has never been used, not a single scratch on it anywhere.
So if you're still reading, I will have 2 trailers now. 1 to use when I'm not hauling big loads, lightweight and low so easy to load and unload. 1 for big hauling jobs where I can haul 10 yards in the truck and another 11 yards in the trailer. HP dump trailer.jpg