O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Thoughts?

I would like to have one hitch for everything. I need a heavier and bigger hitch for an upcoming (sometime) dump trailer.
2" for several trailers.

My tandem trailer coupler is only 2". I think i need a stronger coupler. 2" seem to stop at 5,000# capacity. Basically hauling wood or mini- loader with our without mats, so staying in that 5k range, currently.

Switch everything to a pintle if you want to only run one. That or the 2 5/16. I have a tri ball and a dedicated pintle, and i need to get another pintle because mine is only 12k or something. If you are trying to drop that kinda coin i would almost be tempted to get a dmi bumper or similar hitch (i think curt makes one) where you can swing the hitch to hook up, saving gobs of time. B and w makes good hitches and stuff too.

Sean, I bought this for my pickups. Thing works like a charm, and provides pintle as well (Amazon currently has for ~$100)

Fine if you don't need to compensate for height differences. Otherrwise use one insert with a 2" ball and a separate insert with an adjustable height 2 5/16"/pintle.
pintle/ 2 5/16" combo
2" insert adjustable mounting plate

ALWAYS look at the weight rating of every single link in your chain. From the truck, the hitch, the insert, the coupler and the trailer ratings.

I haven't found the weight rating on the coupler. Don't know if I will.

Tandem 6 bolt wheels. Don't know what size axles.

I bought it of my friend, who bought it used and refurbished it.

The daily driver truck is 2wd, so I'm trying to gain height, if anything. If I drop the trailer tongue down, it would help a lower ball.

Seems like a stout coupler, but it requires more research.

20211027_190600.jpg 20211027_190550.jpg

Last edited:
Tractor Supply has a better tongue jack. I have swapped a couple of mine over that are set up on the center of the tongue like that. They drop down and pull up, held by a pin, then you crank to raise. No more losing the foot on a dip or driveway entrance
As far as the coupler, I installed one of those on my flat trailer and its rated pretty high. I'll look at it tomorrow. Never had issues. Watch your fingers :D

My new sappie...

20211111_143219.jpg

Same as the old one, but the handle's red instead of blue. I fixed that...

20211111_154855.jpg

I'm hoping that'll make it easier to see in brush. I wanted logrite blue, but that's the best I could get at the local hardware stores. Terence and my entrenching shovel have a new coat of glo green I did as a test, but I didn't care for that. I don't even especially like blue, but it shows up surprisingly well in the woods. More so than orange, but perhaps not as well as glo pink. Still hoping my old one turns up, but if it doesn't by the end of the weekend, it never will.

Yea, they do have a lot of cool stuff. My last one was "King County Tools" brand from amazon, but it was shipped by Garrett Wade. I'm guessing it was trial selling through amazon, and they didn't like it, cause that brand seems to have disappeared. They both come from Adler in Germany. They make stuff for themselves, and for resellers. I wanted to get exactly what I had before cause I liked it so much. I was afraid if I got something different, the point wouldn't work as well or something. I suspect that hook on the end really helps keep it locked, and makes it good for carrying wood over distances. A more even profile might not work as well.

Yea, they do have a lot of cool stuff. My last one was "King County Tools" brand from amazon, but it was shipped by Garrett Wade. I'm guessing it was trial selling through amazon, and they didn't like it, cause that brand seems to have disappeared. They both come from Adler in Germany. They make stuff for themselves, and for resellers. I wanted to get exactly what I had before cause I liked it so much. I was afraid if I got something different, the point wouldn't work as well or something. I suspect that hook on the end really helps keep it locked, and makes it good for carrying wood over distances. A more even profile might not work as well.
You should check out Peavy Manufacturing for your wood handling tools. Solid high quality tools made right here in the US.

When I was deciding on a cant hook, I was giving Peavey serious consideration. I'm partial to old tech, and like wood handled tools, but practicality won out, and I went with Logrite.

I bent my first 5’ Logrote can’t hook. Two of us were trying to roll a big log over to finish the cut. Actually didn’t bend it too bad. I contacted Logrite and they sent me a new handle. One of the newer, sturdier ones. I went ahead and ordered a new hook so I have two. The bent one stays in the truck as it’s still quite functional and if/when someone needs to borrow one, it’s the loaner.

Back