O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

A friend of mine has had lots of money over the years and has had lots of go Fast cars, excavators things like that. He said hands down the most gut-wrenching car he ever drove was the Tesla he had.

He said the first time he ever goosed it to the max it was such a shock to his system that it took several hours for his gut to adjust. 0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds is incredible.

I've read from many sources that an electric car creates more pollution just in its manufacturing process than an ICE powered car creates in a 15 year lifespan.

My son's girlfriend just bought the Y model. Acceleration is scary fast. It's comfortable and roomy with tons of cool tech features. It's a great car but it's not going to save the planet.

If you're buying it because it's a cool car with lots of bells and whistles, and you're not planning any long trips, then good for you.

If you're buying one because you think you're doing something good for the environment, then you've been duped.

I've read from many sources that an electric car creates more pollution just in its manufacturing process than an ICE powered car creates in a 15 year lifespan.
Does that include pollution from production of the ICE car or just tailpipe emissions?

The actual wording might leave a loophole. Might be 100% true.

So lithium is a strip mining process.... beyond that, what’s so bad about an electric car vs anything else?

People say energy at the power plants creates pollution same as a car... power plants are regulated ad nauseam, when’s the last time you saw a “tuned” power plant rolling coal?

My Tesla had nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with convenience, tech, power, comfort, and efficiency. I’ve driven ~300 miles in the last two days for bids... $12 in electricity, $168 in tax deduction.

My loader was delivered today. I really like the Avant root rake grapple. No other mini grapple has two separate grapples, just a large single. It had a few options I wasn't expecting but were included. The engine guard, extra weights, 12" wide tires and a couple other things. With these tires my width is 51" but I think it's worth the extra traction and stability.

But the absolute best part of all is knowing that I will finally be qualified to be as good of a tree man as Murphy4trees. I have my skid steer so now I finally made it to the big leagues! :big-jump:

ResizerImage0281.jpg ResizerImage0282.jpg ResizerImage0283.jpg

Last edited:
I have worked around both types and prefer the BMG hands down. The one you have has it’s advantages though. Just have to cut stuff shorter.

Last edited:
Looking sharp there Brian!! That thing fits the trailer like a glove. For dragging brush you have to have the dangle, rotating, grapple but maybe if you are just moving wood the other will be better. Im sure after a few weeks you will enlighten us.

I can imagine with more implements, you can become invaluable to some companies.

Even as is!... but a rake, and bmg clam shells would bring it up another notch, in time.

Your general contractors might want to invest in debris bags. Bagsters, monster/ monsta bags that Willie likes, IIRC.

You can move out/ load into trucks the rakings and small material.

Last edited:
My loader was delivered today. I really like the Avant root rake grapple. No other mini grapple has two separate grapples, just a large single. It had a few options I wasn't expecting but were included. The engine guard, extra weights, 12" wide tires and a couple other things. With these tires my width is 51" but I think it's worth the extra traction and stability.

But the absolute best part of all is knowing that I will finally be qualified to be as good of a tree man as Murphy4trees. I have my skid steer so now I finally made it to the big leagues! :big-jump:

View attachment 114901View attachment 114902View attachment 114903
Oh so sexy!

Did you have the option of narrow tires for 36” gate access? Seems one of the models had that option. I know one of the Giant models did.

Last edited:
Another possibility...if you’re interested...is moving safes. I carried gun safes for both my sons-in-law from truck to door. All you’d need is forks. Might be a profitable gig. Your average person doesn’t have the means to get one from curb to door.

8084C112-B88D-4A05-A7D7-CF32FB331F7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you have the option of narrow tires for 36” gate access? Seems one of the models had that option. I know one of the Giant models did.
Actually these are the widest wheels/tires available on this model. I was expecting narrower tires but after running it I will gladly keep these. Today I ripped out 50' of chain link fence covered in vines and small saplings growing through it. Pulled it out at half throttle in just a few minutes. I loaded a 7x14x4 trailer 3 times today and barely broke a sweat. I am very impressed with the machine so far.

Those turf tyres are a mixed blessing, less damage to lawns but fully laden you’re more vulnerable to punctures.
I run ag tyres now and road plates.

Nice.

A couple of the guys out here have the Avant. We get most things done with just a set of forks and a thumb, or a bucket.

For dragging brash we just pile it up. Drive at it sideways and then crunch with the thumb. Drive off.

I appreciate this might not be so good for narrow access jobs and we rarely feed the chipper straight from the Avant.

I got five of these today...

IMG_20211007_172813.jpg

I'll give you two hints what they're for. I estimate 50:50 whether or not they work, and they have magnetic backs.

It’s a Model Y Performance, so dual motors, 75Wh battery, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, 155mph top speed. The Y is 7” taller than the 3, I didn’t buy the 3 because my shoulders hit the door frame getting in and out while my knee drug under the steering wheel. No such problems on the Y.

Carl, I am going through the mental process of deciding myself. I almost ordered a Model 3 earlier in the year but held off until the build at my place was finished. Glad I did as it went about 25000USD over budget.

I have been looking at these again and 2 of my friends have just got the Model Y whilst I was over in the UK. I am yet to have a go in them.

I am thinking I will still go for the 3 but am eagerly waiting the chance to compare. I reckon I will still go for the 3 Performance as i don't think I will forgive myself for going with something that will do 0-60 3.5s when I could have done the same in a 3 for 3.1s ;)

Yes, I know I am a dick! ;)

In truth, they are both great cars. Don't you think it is ridiculous that these things will do 0-60 in such ludicrous speeds. When I was growing up you were the dogs bollocks if your car did 0-60 in less than 6s.

Back