O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Got this today...

IMG_20211204_172618.jpg

I was tired of waiting for my warranty return. I also bought some 12" hand tongs which haven't shown up yet. I spent my whole life without a sappie, but after using one, I don't want to go without anymore. Wrestling logs yesterday was a hassle doing it by hand. I could pull some stuff around with my hatchet, but that's only a crude approximation of what can be done with a sappie. Looks like a good tool. I rejected it earlier due to the ash handle, which I find subpar on a striking tool, but this isn't exactly a striking tool, so it should work out ok.

I spent my whole life without a sappie, but after using one, I don't want to go without anymore.

Some tools are like that.

I'd say give the ash a chance, there's a reason it is a preferred handle for many tools. I've mentioned before, I have an ash hiking staff that performs superbly, made me realize how much were going to miss Ash trees if and when they are finally gone

It surprises me that ash is often used for critical use like tool's handles and spokes in old wood wheels, but appears not so reliable as a tree (sound tree, not even telling about diseased tree).

Harvested live, then machined to make handles, might be offering very different characteristics from dead on the stump, I might think.

Yeah when they are killed by the ash borer they are very brittle, but even in the heavier trunk wood you will often still find good solid stuff, and it's a good tight grained wood, very stable and hard. I think most baseball bats are ash too, the strength is enough to make the smaller handles, and it is lighter than some alternatives.

Ash can be brittle and splitty, even with #1 wood. That's why I don't like it for striking tools. Hickory is king, but I'd like to make a handle out of ironwood some time. I've been keeping my eyes open looking for a tree that'll meet machines in it's future. I'll take it home with me.

We have a type of hawthorn around here that I think might make some premium hammer or axe handles. Really strong, dense, and often the grain seems twisted. Stringy and difficult to split.
Probably heavier than hickory, but not by much.

If used correctly, a striking tool with an ash handle will work just fine.
Has been used since forever in Europe, since we don't have Hickory.

If you can't hit what you aim at, any handle will break eventually.

That is why I Wrap the apprentices wedge pounders with dyneema on the part right under the head.

I never heard of that before Pat. Should I have? Looked it up, and it's a pretty wood.

If used correctly, a striking tool with an ash handle will work just fine.
Has been used since forever in Europe, since we don't have Hickory.

If you can't hit what you aim at, any handle will break eventually.

That is why I Wrap the apprentices wedge pounders with dyneema on the part right under the head.
That's fancier than duct tape and a rag.

Believe me, duct tape and a rag won't hold up to an apprentice constantly doing a narrow miss on the wedges.

John,
It is the wood they used for the boardwalks in Atlantic City.
"J. Gibson McIlvaine" near White Marsh is the wholesale supplier where I have an account.

Regarding ipe this chair has been outside in the elements for about 20 years. The wood is still solid...the glue joints... not so much!

Attachments

• 16388936318975574301645539826131.jpg
    16388936318975574301645539826131.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
We've run this stuff for A while. Had 600 feet of the urethane coated stuff when it was on sale. The way we use The portable winch, the winch line is basically disposable. it survived some pretty serious abuse for a while. Highly recommended, not less durable that stable braid. Floating logs with the 1/2" on the right side 20201210_110518.jpg

Ruel, how do you like that double cam footie. By Harken, I presume the quality is exceptional. I have one by Notch, I'm sure I'll try it one of these days!

Only used a few times, definitely Smoother than my ISC Stryder. Works best with rope tail directly down. Sven used it for a spread out Climb and said it didn't work well when the tail was over branches. It was either Not grabbing or it was popping out, can't remember which.

It's going to work fine with my climbing style cause I tend to overhaul my Line more frequently. Sven is quite a monkey, climbs the tree more than the rope, so was an issue with his style.

Back