O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

HSS would cut it fine. I’d think something more open like for aluminum would be preferred over something for steel.

I'm trying to streamline my mat movement to and from trailer/ deployment. Also trying to figure the least gear and energy intensive way to effectively avoid scorching lawns.
I am going to be mounting my forks to the trailer by adding some c channel pocket scabbard type thing I have to build.

MB used to say that, I just don’t see how.

The deep south has intense sun, and a black surface gets super super hot. Asphalt will be over 150 degrees in 90 degree heat, which is most the year there, so i bet those things get smoking hot.

Part of a day. I could handle them.

New grass seed down at the job the other day, when it was Sunny and 70, first warm day.

I flipped them over, to the side periodically, so it would be on the pavers, mulch, or new spot of grass.

We keep our two stacks on 4’ x 8’ pallets. Toss a tie-down strap through the pallet to keep the pile together; move them with the forks

I've scorched my lawn by leaving a piece of black plastic sheeting spread out on it to dry. Not that hot and not that long.

Try roofing a while and you’ll figure out quickly how hot shingles can get...and how fast scrap shingles dropped on a quality lawn can scorch spots in the grass.

The glory days of roofing... I can still smell the tar.
Sure miss the spud shovel for tear offs, and comp or shake... My dad was a roofer and it scared me to be a tree guy. I never saw a harness for 4 summers in high school.

Right on. Roofing is a rare old trade. These days you could make so much money in SF.

I would think Summer here is usually the coldest foggiest part of the year...

I worked inland from Concord to Walnut Creek to Livermore. I was 16 with the best drivers license driving the dump truck.. where I learned double clutching..

Last edited:
Something that works great for moving skids around was to use 2 skids to crib it up, then when you pick it up you just throw those 2 skids on top. A 4x4 cut at 4' long would be perfect. Same idea as the pallet but will last longer and is easier to store when in use, since you don't have a pallet. Also removes the likelihood of someone borrowing the pallet for something else and now you are trying to ram the forks under it on the street or something

Back