In The News...

I would guess hydrogen sulfide or something similar. As a water tank i assume it's before they treat it, so you would likely have organic decomposition going on in there. Absolutely zero excuse for that to happen, ever. Dude had zero business trying that, and now he's dead and his kids will have to grow up without him. I hope his company loses their ass over that.
While I agree it’s a tragedy, how do you justify the last sentence? At what point does one have to shoulder their own responsibilities?

While I agree it’s a tragedy, how do you justify the last sentence? At what point does one have to shoulder their own responsibilities?

He's dead, what more do you want from him? If a landscaping company attempted to do a complicated tree removal over power lines without the right insurance, gear, knowledge, or anything else and an employee died, are they responsible? This was either a job scared or really dumb carpenter and low rent contractor attempting to do something very dangerous with zero training, qualifications, knowledge, or common sense.

To do this right you need to have an r stamp to even touch a tank, qualified and in date certified welders who still have all their work subject to xrayed or ultra sonic inspection, the appropriate safety equipment including rope access and fire/rescue on staff, atmospheric testing and rescue breathing air, full on life or death lockdown/ tag out procedures, nitrogen or atmospheric clean breathing air, blanketing and purging, heavy equipment, trucks, and cranes... you get the point. This takes money, so all too often a construction company that has never done this type of work get enough money to try to play with doing this with all too predictable results. Trying to make a lower paid and differently trained craft to try to do this kind of work can very easily get people killed, just like tree work gets homeowners, landlords, and landscapers killed. It would be one thing if it was accidental even with all the right stuff, this is as predictable as can be and is knowingly negligent.

Last edited:
Had something similar happen at my plant a decade ago. Welding/ cutting on a vinyl fluoride tank. It was drained, but two other VF tanks vented into it and somehow that got overlooked. One dead, one injured, burned, and had some severe eye damage, but wasn’t left totally blind. Really horrible.

Exactly that. It's a very very serious deal to be messing with, and there's supposed to be safety checks and insurance requirements to catch this before it turns into that.

Kyle, we're over our internet threshold, so some links/vids aren't loading at all (I couldn't access the link to see/read for myself). I based my query on your statement...."Dude had zero business trying that, and now he's dead and his kids will have to grow up without him. I hope his company loses their ass over that." If "dude" had zero business but went ahead, it's dude's fault IMO.

I guess what I'm saying is that too many times, people do stupid stuff, and others have to pay the stupid tax. I knew a guy years ago hunting from an Ol' Man tree stand. For those unfamiliar with them, they incorporate a cable that goes around the tree, and a pin that inserts through an eye in the end of the cable once it's inserted into the tubing of the stand. You set the pitch of the stand you want, and insert the pin into the appropriate hole. As you climb and the tree tapers, the stand begins to set at a lower angle. The guy was pulling/resetting the pin and lost his balance and fell. He sued Ol' Man....and won. Despite the fact that every stand comes with a fall-arrest harness and large print instructions to NEVER climb without it. Far too often, the wrong folks shoulder the liability in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oh i agree, but a contractor attempting to do super dangerous stuff knowingly lacking the insurance, certifications, equipment, and using unskilled labor makes them liable. They told that dude to do that, and he did and got killed and probably didn't even know better, lights out the second he struck an arc. I would bet my house they had none of the equipment or insurance to even attempt this. To be clear, this was for the municipal water supply, governmental work requiring by law that this stuff is done right. This isn't on par with tree work, what do you think a tank of that size costs? Few million not counting tank storage rentals to provide the town with water? Without the r stamp certificates the tank would become uninsurable the second they touched it. Honestly the city would be on the hook as well since they cut corners and hired these clowns. And these clowns will do it again unless they are put out of business. This kinda stuff is what i do for a living, this isn't just me being political or something.

Pointless having a go at me or France Gerry, read her tweets not just the headline and first few lines of the article and tell me you won’t see much worse on here.

Just tit for tat, Mick. Don't get your panties in a knot.

I did click the link actually, but sites like that one throw so many pop-up ads, and other nonsense, it's almost impossible to find the article. It's all broken up in loose sentences between flashing ads and nonsense. It's hard to make any sense of. I give up too easy, I guess.

Maybe I need pop-up blocker to read those kind of articles.

Wow I just read the article, she's upset about a line in the 3 rd paragraph of a 4 paragraph poem. Our National anthem is comprised of the first paragraph. WTF!! hahaha

Here's the whole deal. As usual, over the last 200 years, a lot has been lost in translation. Meanings change in that amount of time. Kind of like interpeting a verses from the Bible.

Complete version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" showing spelling and punctuation from Francis Scott Key's manuscript in the Maryland Historical Society collection.

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bomb bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream,
'Tis the star-spangled banner - O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation!
Blest with vict'ry and peace may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - "In God is our trust,"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Agreed Cory.

For those who don't want to sign up for the Nation, you can read Key's entire piece below to see the "scary evil" line referenced.

Attachments

• ssb_lyrics.pdf
    12.4 KB · Views: 2
Back