How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 180K
I think Nick Arrya has something about invisible lock stitching. Basically you do the stitches where the cover strands "x" or in between strands. That way the stitching lays below the outer cover, no shredding

How about covering it? Some electric tape, or a couple double constrictors with paracord. Or get fancy, and use the plastic cover they use for sewn splices.

The electric tape doesn't stay long. It's too thin and fragile. A few rubs on the bark and it's teared away. But it leaves its messy gum on the rope as a reminder of why you shouldn't use that. At the opposite, the paracord makes too thick of a layer. It will catch on the bark and be slided away. The heavy thermo retractable sleeve can sustain the abuse, but it seems that only the hotmelt glued version of it is able to stay in place.
I tried the first two, but not the last pne.

A constrictor should hold the paracord in place. It generally won't move til you cut it off. You can remove the core yarns to make it trimmer, but there will be a bump left, even with the flat sheath.

Hello, everyone I'm new around these parts and I just did my first splice. I was sent some cordage from a fellow tree houser, thank you if you read this you know who you are. Now I was told that this was some 5/16 tenex after doing some research after I made the splice I think it is some ice tail. Samson at least currently doesn't make tenet in this color. I made the splice following the samson class 1 12 strand eye to eye instructions. I started with 73 inches and got a 30 1/2 inch eye to eye. I was shooting for a 30 e2e. For my first time I was stoked that my black Magik math worked.in the samson pdf they say a 3/8 inch line at 80 inches will produce a 33inch e2e. I minus 6 for 3 inch on each side minus 1 inch for rope difference

I may have freestyled it a little, meaning that on the second side brummel on the second one I did the inside out trick since I didn't think it would be possible to pass the whole other end threw the hole. And I tapered the end more than the 3 1/2 inches they suggest. But I think a total taper of 8 inches would probably be best since that is how long they over lap in the rope.

Anyways looking at my master piece I found that on one of the first brummel of the eye instead of it being perfectly in the middle I was one strand off. Will that make the e2e significantly weaker?
I plan on trying this out as progress capture on a 5 to 1. Just messing around with it I tied a handfull of friction hitches and test to 100lb ish and all the ones that I normally use all bit great.

I also plan to try to stich lock the brummel but I'm waiting on supplys.

Thanks for your time
And conctructive criticism

Attachments

• 20220210_222935.jpg
    20220210_222935.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
The electric tape doesn't stay long. It's too thin and fragile. A few rubs on the bark and it's teared away. But it leaves its messy gum on the rope as a reminder of why you shouldn't use that. At the opposite, the paracord makes too thick of a layer. It will catch on the bark and be slided away. The heavy thermo retractable sleeve can sustain the abuse, but it seems that only the hotmelt glued version of it is able to stay in place.
I tried the first two, but not the last pne.
To dress the end of a cut rope, I first wrap it tightly with a little bit of masking tape. I use the blue painter's tape (less glue). Cut the rope in the middle of the tape with a razor knife. Then I melt the end of the rope with fire (a cigarette lighter). Smooth off any rough edges with the bottom of the lighter, then remove the tape. The result is a nice finished end that will not unravel.

Hello, everyone I'm new around these parts and I just did my first splice. I was sent some cordage from a fellow tree houser, thank you if you read this you know who you are. Now I was told that this was some 5/16 tenex after doing some research after I made the splice I think it is some ice tail. Samson at least currently doesn't make tenet in this color. I made the splice following the samson class 1 12 strand eye to eye instructions. I started with 73 inches and got a 30 1/2 inch eye to eye. I was shooting for a 30 e2e. For my first time I was stoked that my black Magik math worked.in the samson pdf they say a 3/8 inch line at 80 inches will produce a 33inch e2e. I minus 6 for 3 inch on each side minus 1 inch for rope difference

I may have freestyled it a little, meaning that on the second side brummel on the second one I did the inside out trick since I didn't think it would be possible to pass the whole other end threw the hole. And I tapered the end more than the 3 1/2 inches they suggest. But I think a total taper of 8 inches would probably be best since that is how long they over lap in the rope.

Anyways looking at my master piece I found that on one of the first brummel of the eye instead of it being perfectly in the middle I was one strand off. Will that make the e2e significantly weaker?
I plan on trying this out as progress capture on a 5 to 1. Just messing around with it I tied a handfull of friction hitches and test to 100lb ish and all the ones that I normally use all bit great.

I also plan to try to stich lock the brummel but I'm waiting on supplys.

Thanks for your time
And conctructive criticism
Icetail and Tenex are the same construction but different material. Icetail will scorch and char because it’s technora (I think) Tenex will melt, it’s polyester.

This is the color Samson makes for Wesspur. Some or all of the Samson rigging lines are made a different color, seemingly just for Wesspur? Their Stable Braid there is different colors from most other vendors too.

I wish it was Icetail lol I wouldn’t be giving it away all the time lol.

F1383ADC-CDF9-4E2B-AEBF-7F416105C889.jpeg

Someone tried schooling me on Arboristsite about my Stable Braid before. My 5/8” is red, my 3/8” is pink, and my 9/16” is yellow. Dude swore up and down I was wrong about all of them, until I showed pics from Wesspur.

GAP does those colors too. A lot of stuff and prices are very similar between GAP and Wesspur, they might be affiliated or same parent company or something.

Could be right on that. I know a lot of the smaller retailers are banding together to get buying power against VSG or whatever the sherrill conglomerate is

To dress the end of a cut rope, I first wrap it tightly with a little bit of masking tape. I use the blue painter's tape (less glue). Cut the rope in the middle of the tape with a razor knife. Then I melt the end of the rope with fire (a cigarette lighter). Smooth off any rough edges with the bottom of the lighter, then remove the tape. The result is a nice finished end that will not unravel.
I do that too for the rope's cuts. But my post was about protecting the lockstitch of the eye splice to avoid destroying it by rubbing on the bark.

I do that too for the rope's cuts. But my post was about protecting the lockstitch of the eye splice to avoid destroying it by rubbing on the bark.
I used to do the whipping on my splices years ago but they kept getting xhewed up by tree bark. Then I went to 'hidden' lock stitches and no more issues.

Thanks for the education, i was only looking at the samson website, dang Colors! Either way it is still some strong stuff. And fun to splice.

What should my next splice be on 5/8 tenex?

Whoopi

Or

ultra

Whoopi’s are cool but I have grown away from them. They work good for a while and then become a PITA to adjust. I vote ultra. They eat up a lot of cordage though.
And welcome to the House

Can you use a ultra in a basket or choker configuration as In pulling with it. I know it's meant to rig a block or port but I just want to know it's limits

If we can make a parallel with the rated slings, round or linear, their WLL is downgraded to 0.8x when set in chocker mode, instead of 2 in basket mode.

Well, this happened. 5/8ths Tenex TEC dead eye I spliced. Had to guy a large gray pine and pull it 45* out of a heavy head lean out of a small group of oaks. Beyond guitar string tight. Thos dead eye was holding the large porty on the guy. Stripped the whipping back and off the lock stitches. Nothing melted. Cow hitch at the throat. Splice held.
Hit my lay. 20220213_115739.jpg

Not really. Not a locking brummel either. Not sure what you would call it. It is like how the tree guard cable splice is done. I form the eye by passing the taper through the hollow braid (like you would start a brummel). But twice. Then bury the taper out. Proper length of bury. Lock stitch and whip. Never had one fail yet. Running the bury through the throat a couple times really binds the bury under load. And the lock stitching of course.

Back