New to Splicing. Want to Know What I Need to Splice Hitch Cords. Any Suggestions for Resources Showing How to Splice?

Knotorious

That Guy With The Face
Hey all!
I've become increasingly interested in splicing, particularly with splicing hitch cordage. My friend @Brocky has inspired my recent enthusiasm for hand crafted hitch cord production. What are the tools required for such a pursuit, and where does one procure them from (suggestions for vendors?) and does anyone have any recommendations for referential literature or media (videos, photos, podcasts, etc.) which would help guide me on my journey toward becoming a successful, and perhaps someday accomplished, splicer of hitch cordage? Thank you in advance for your time and effort should you choose to respond. God bless America! =-D

depends what type of cordage you wanne splice. most double braids will become stiff in the throat and therefore change how the hitch performs. also i like to change the length depending on how worn my hitch cord is. therefor i think knotted hitchcords are superior to spliced or sewn ones.

samson icetail is probably the easiest as it is a hollowbraid. if you wanna splice doublebraid maybe ocean polyester would be a good material to learn on as it is quite soft and basicly splices itself :)

there is plenty of videos on youtube but for me it was great to go on a (1day) course, there is a lot of stuff that videos won‘t convey.

YouTube. Samson has a good book on splicing their ropes but also carries over to other brands.
Wesspur, Knot and Rope, Sherrill Stuff, Maple Leaf Ropes, all have splicing tools. And you can make your own tools if you are inclined.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone! It goes without saying that YouTube is the be all and end all of resources. I was just curious if anyone has any useful information that was knot (yup, I made a pun) common knowledge.

@friedrich, I definitely think you make a lot of sense insofar as knotting the eyes to one's hitch cord. It's very practical to do it that way, but my OCD has me preferring the neatness of something sewn or spliced. I appreciate your recommendations for easily spliced hitch cordage. Does anyone else have any recommendations for easily spliced cord?

@flushcut, thanks for the book recommendation! I'll check out those vendors for tools! Do they need to be any specific type or size or will what they sell pretty much cover everything?

Thanks everyone! It goes without saying that YouTube is the be all and end all of resources. I was just curious if anyone has any useful information that was knot (yup, I made a pun) common knowledge.

@friedrich, I definitely think you make a lot of sense insofar as knotting the eyes to one's hitch cord. It's very practical to do it that way, but my OCD has me preferring the neatness of something sewn or spliced. I appreciate your recommendations for easily spliced hitch cordage. Does anyone else have any recommendations for easily spliced cord?

@flushcut, thanks for the book recommendation! I'll check out those vendors for tools! Do they need to be any specific type or size or will what they sell pretty much cover everything?
Yes they will have the tools you need.

Single braids with locked brummels and buries are fairly easy. Slipping on a cover after both splices are done is called a naked eye, Beeline is good for this. The eye can also be covered with something thinner, but still be able to do both locked brummels.
6F683BE1-CACA-4F32-8C7A-BBC4C11C5FA5.jpeg

@Brocky, those hitches look amazing, sir. Very exciting! I want to be able to do that! After I educate myself, how long will it take the average newbie (n00b) to create a hitch of the caliber you're displaying?
@Raj, thank you for your input!

Last edited:
Get the Samson App on your smartphone. It has the content from the book and also links to YouTube vids.

Get some whipping twine and needles, salilmakers palm, jewellers plyers and a I bought a wire fid from a friend but have made my own with piano wire. For larger diameter ropes I made a fid from a narrow, wire coat hanger.

Get some beer and practice. You will also need a solid anchor to finish most splices. Tow hitch on a truck is what I used.

Also get a hammer or malet or something to beat that stubborn sucker home.

I have never spliced 3 strand, only 16 strand, hollow and double braid.

Plus one, on the not liking spliced hitch cords. Not for me but in their defence I have never used something like beeline or other hollow braid like described ^^^.

@biggun, that's a huge amount of solid advice. Thank you so very much. Are you native to Norway? If so, your English and grammar are better than most American's. (Sorry, US natives. I don't want our foreign allies to think I'm being disingenuous lol I say this about his grammar and English in jest, but it's hardly untrue. That was an honest compliment.

@flushcut, that's pretty funny and highly logical. I'll be sure to heed your advice.

Back