How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 180K
I’ve been having issues with my stablebraid whipping getting tore all to hell. I think I’ll try making the eyes bigger to keep the loop in the bight of the cow hitch better. For the ones I have right now I’m going to lock stitch a bit different

The slice held. Just the whipping and lock stitch were tore up, abraided..
I missed an info, was the splice rubbing on something or is it internal abrasion, by the fibers movement under load?
Internal would tore the stitching but not move away the whipping.

Here is my most recent teaching experience. I did a tuck on the one side and made a whoopie with the rest. After the first set of 3 tucks where you supposed to tape them together and eventually tape them to the rope, i tapered and burried them in the rope and did the same after the last set of tucks. I will probably end up putting whipping where its recommend to tape the leftover tucks. I cant wait for more rope to arrive this is an experimental piece to see how a minimum bury on the whoopie holds. Its smallest lenght is 16 inch and it gets as big as 24inches which equals aboot a 6 inch in diameter. I think it will be perfect for some light rigging, a redirect or an anchor for a pulley.

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_171930.jpg
    IMG_20220214_171930.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 7
If you had spliced it to a chest ascender and run a bungee through it, you’d have a 5/16” clone of the original HAAS knee ascender.
Looks good!

This guy in the video has a bunch of great videos on rigging and toys for rigging. He also has a couple of awesome videos of him using some serious mechanical advantage pulling out some stumps. I think his little invention would be something fun to have and fun to make

Well, this happened. 5/8ths Tenex TEC dead eye I spliced. Had to guy a large gray pine and pull it 45* out of a heavy head lean out of a small group of oaks. Beyond guitar string tight. Thos dead eye was holding the large porty on the guy. Stripped the whipping back and off the lock stitches. Nothing melted. Cow hitch at the throat. Splice held.
Hit my lay. View attachment 118069
Is it possible the sling was getting over loaded?
The destruction tests I’ve seen the whipping is the first thing to break. And a good bit before the splice fails.

Abrasion from the hitch I believe
Yes. A cow hitch.
Now mind you. That guy was hit hard and under tension. 36" gray pine with many leads over 80 feet. Limbs 6-8 " in dia. Heavy head lean. Actually surprised nothing broke. It was green and heavy. 300' of 5/8ths pulling with a kubota Tractor on a redirect. And 150' of 5/8ths guying it to swing into the desired lay.

Wonder if Elmer’s white glue would work. It’s just a little protection from fraying and picked strands.

The first thing that popped into my mind for substitute rope dip was rubber cement. Then I started to think about the heavy duty solvent in rubber cement. Not sure if polyester is vulnerable but I don’t want to experiment with life support!

I thought wax, but that'll hold onto dirt. Best I could come up with was household paint. Shouldn't hurt the fibers, and should stick enough to keep things together, but probably messy to apply, and I dunno how durable it would be. I have clothes with paint spots that got on them years ago, but that isn't rope that's going through high stress movement.

Now I know why there isn't a ton of people lining up to do tuck splices, it took me over 3 hours to complete this beauty. From the end of the eye to the end of the buried stands it is a little more than 2 feet. I used dynamica ropes instruction video. which you start by counting 42 strands down and separate all strands and tape them in pairs of two. Then half of them pass through the rope at a 45 degree angle and then you get on with the tucks. Like the last one I did instead of leaving the rope out that you take out of the strands to tape to the rope when the taper starts I tapered and buried them in the rope. I am curious to see which is a stronger splice detween the samson instructions and dynamica. The difference is that samson has you bury half the rope at the eye and tuck with one strand. the dynamic instructions you use all 12 strands to do the tucks with. The samson version took less time because the most time consuming part of the process is when you start reducing the strand size, it's a pain because the rope never perfectly split there was always fibers that didn't want to go which would make a mess out of the strand. It took some effort to keep all the strands properly tight and twisted and in line.

I am going to do some whipping at the places where I buried the strands. I'm hoping in the long run it helps keep the strands tightly buried

This is the video that I followed

Attachments

• 20220216_105242.jpg
    20220216_105242.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220216_105323.jpg
    20220216_105323.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Looks nice, and they test with very little, if any, strength reduction. My first attempts at the tucking only were on True Blue, hollow braids are much easier and look nice when done. Samson has instructions for the tuck splice, just noticed they changed how the first tuck starts. I’m a big fan of the TuckBury for hitch cords with a cover, especially the second eye, which was rebraided before with about 15% more strength reduction than typical locked brummel.

Back