How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
I've had those suspenders on throwline loops for a while now. Maybe 2 years of occasional use, sitched in place on my old chainsaw pants. That pfanner elastic is surprisingly durable

Attachments

• 20210210_104825.jpg
    20210210_104825.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Sew some buttons on or if you can't sew, then hammer some bachelor buttons in.
Then get a pair of these:

No risk to cut the eye with the edges? It seems a tad too sharp and wide for me (it makes two small radius angles on the rope).

Biggest pain ive had splicing in ages. 3/4 inch Sterling Atlas line straight to my mooring swivel. The core is so fat the burry beat up my hands badly. Couldn't get the last 1/2 inch down, hence the seizing to tighten up the eye. Should be plenty strong still, 22k breaking, and the boat weighs only 2k in a sheltered cove.

20210802_144817.jpg

Basal anchor for Sven in Imori, with the Bryon Toss invisible lock stitching.
View attachment 113248
Brion used a cover strand that didn’t get buried to do the lock stitches, the colors matched ,but the stitches were visible on the outside. Nick Araya has an invisible lock stitch method, I don’t see any stitches on the outside, so perhaps you’re using his method?

From my understanding the purpose of the lock stitch is to simply hold the splice in place when it's unweighted. When a load is on it it clamps down, but can work loose if it is loose. So i always figured if i simply did a nice seizing like you did there (which i imagine you stitched thru the rope several times) that did the same purpose and then some. I even went so far as to splice a larger eye, then do a seizing to size the eye around a biner. This way the clipping wears on the marline and not the rope.

@flushcut
Just made a few dead eyes for shits and giggles. I might splice some rings into a few dead eyes over turkey vacation. Of course that means I have to remember where I put the rings at.

Back