How'd it go today?

Went to the hospital and had an x-ray done and the stitches taken out.
Now I'm allowed to take the splint off 3-5 times a day and do a set of exercises.

That'll be necessary. Nothing in the way of strength left in that arm.
A buddy came by on his Yamaha XS750. For fun I tried to disengage the clutch.
I couldn't even move the lever. As in not at all:(

It's amazing how quickly we loose muscle in a situation like that. It took a year at least for me to get full muscle mass back in my right leg after my hip replacement surgery. And I was exercising it pretty diligently.

I'll say it. You're a cheap ass. How in the world did you break a Brute can? I have one that's close to 20 years old and it hasn't broken yet.

I lost any empty gas can out the back of a pickup on main street. Never found it. Must be stuck under some car, somewhere.:lol:

Page, I'll say it- you're awesome. We do the exact same with our Brute. Your repair looks sweeter than ours.

I'll say it. You're a cheap ass. How in the world did you break a Brute can?

If you are at all rough with it in cold weather it breaks, no questions asked.

It was worth a shot. That’s how my buddy’s used to fix the fenders on their quads. $2 worth of zip ties vs $45 for a new one.

Good progress Stig...I understand the loss of strength thing...after my shoulder surgery is was disheartening at first to realize I was so weak, time and those multi-coloured stretchy bands worked wonders.

There you have it. Rehab work is boring and takes more time now that we are old than when we were not so...but it'll come back.

Mmmm, funny how that age thing throws a spanner in the works...I used to scoff at slow recovery stories, not any more.

Well, I had a great moment this morning.
I was able to press hard enough on the toothpaste tube to get some out:D

My BMW bike can go from 0-100 km/h in 4,2 seconds.

My left arm can go from logger strength to 0 in a month:lol:

Actually, just being allowed to start working it a bit is great.

You'll get back, it's not like you're afraid of the work envolved after all :).

I think it was the better part of 2 years for me to feel like I had my full leg strength back after the hip replacement surgery. Of course that was following at least half a dozen years of ever increasing limitations on getting out and about as had been my life style for all the previous 50. Having to use a cane the last year or so.

A month off, sheeiit...no problem for you to get it back, brother.

I know the feeling, Stig...movement is wonderful...how much we miss it when we don't have it.

I had knee surgery in 1975 on a Monday...those days they didn't let you move for four days! On Thursday the doctor said it was OK to try to move the leg..he said I wouldn't be able to. I thought he was nuts. He was right! It took a LONG time that day talking to my muscles to finally get my leg to twitch. I was ecstatic! I called everyone I knew to tell them my leg would move...they thought I was nuts.

Took over a year to get full strength and ROM again. Now they have you moving the same day as the surgery. Much better these days. You are gonna be ambidextrous again soon, I bet.

The strength falls quickly and the muscles loose the main part of their mass in a short time, but for me, that wouldn't be enough to come down to nothing. I bet that there is some nervous inhibition which stops or reduces drastically the command impulses. The area has been damaged and the reflex system doesn't allow the body to move, risking to enhance the damages. No move, therefor no overload, till the area is strong enough again to handle the strain. Short feed back by local connections near the spinal chord (positive or negative action), the brain isn't even aware of that and he can ask what he want, this part of the body plays the deaf.

The guys that work with me now were easy to find. My cousin and a good friend. Tomorrow I will be interviewing someone for the first time. This should be fun. I think I’ll put a rope in a tree for him just to see what he does.

Sound right to me too.
I'm even conscious of being scared to overload what the fractured bone can handle.
So even if I think I'm straining, I probably ain't.

Well, I had a great moment this morning.
I was able to press hard enough on the toothpaste tube to get some out:D

:lol:

Goo info Gary and Marc.

Gary, what did you have done, ligaments or cartilage?

Back