How'd it go today?

Yeah, it necessitated a full rebuild. Cylinder, other piston got changed, head seals. Tech told us to pour a half a quart of oil in with the first tank and keep it under 35 during break in. Runs real strong/smooth now, so they did a bang-up job. 8)

Good luck, Pete. You do have a ballistic armour jumpsuit to wear when you fire the beastie up, don't you? Don't forget the helmet and goggles.
:D

Been working tornado damage the last couple of days and the wife calls me today and says we've got some tree work to do at home. Tornado wrung the top out of a big red cedar 20 feet from my back door and I didn't even know it! I haven't been home in daylight or used the back door. Thankfully it didn't come down on the house. It'll have to wait a couple more days....
I hate it, it was a beautiful tree.

Sounds like you've been putting in the hours. Too bad about the tree.

Reminds me of a bad windstorm we had here a few years ago, it brought down a big tree across part of my backyard, I figured Ill get to it when i get to it. That night my dog ran full speed into the fallen trunk cuz he couldn't see it and wasn't used to that object being there, killed him. Smh.

Wow, Ray... get that tree cut-up and then take a break, brother.

Pete: Who cares?... if it runs terrible, it will still beat a 201.

Good thing they excavated the roots for the greenhouse. Probably at least triple the price as if they had forethought.

How often do you guys quickly frame some sort of wooden shield for a structure or plants.

I've thought that with some bushes at the base of a removal tree, making a teepee of sorts with 2x's, and plywood would mean letting branches free fall versus rigging or guiding down. Never done it.

Not ever either, If we have something at hand like large bins or a ladder then it will be used... I think the general feeling among my clients is that sacrificing a few small plants at the base of a large tree to be removed is a worthwhile saving as opposed to trying to preserve them. I was caught out last year on a land clearing job where we smashed and chipped a 2m Frangipanni, client tried to claim $1200 which I staunchly negotiated down to a replacement tree, these clients were utterly opportunistic but it taught me a valuable lesson.

I told a customer to find someone else to do their job today, its something I rarely ever do but I think I just followed my gut feeling and I'm pretty sure they are more hassle than they are worth. They are now calling me and leaving messages wanting me to call back (so far ignored). They engaged me to do some roof clearance of their yet to be completed house and these are the accumulated reasons that have made me wary of, and essentially fed up with them.

1. Wanted to argue the scope of the pruning permit, they eventually & reluctantly agreed to what is permitted under the permit but its obvious they want way more cut than it allows.
2. Told me that they found the quote pricey but would award me the job at a reduced rate, I felt there was satisfactory margin to allow for a small discount so agreed and reduced by 12.5%
3. After asking for the discount and accepting the price said I was free to schedule the work on a Saturday, as both husband and wife work mon-fri and wanted to supervise the job it could only be on Saturday. I try to avoid working Saturdays for the most part as I like to maintain some semblance of a social life however ended up agreeing in the interests of getting some work done.
4. They tell me I can do the work from 11 am onwards on Saturday, at which point I have asked them to contact somebody else- their schedule is way to inflexible for me to operate efficiently. ( I can't afford to twiddle my thumbs until 11am on a saturday)

I guess you could say its nice to have the freedom to knock back work, it always feels strange though. I know they would have tried to be foreman and point at branches etc. and that is why the schedule had to be Saturday only. I'm sure plenty of people would have just swallowed it all up but its all circumstance dependant.

Agree...sounds like you reached your limit...let them be a headache to someone else. Good call. People like that thrive on drama and feeling like they are in control. Ain't nobody got time for that...not here anyways.

People that want work done on Saturdays usually get told the price will increase by half again as that is overtime for us. Generally that's all it takes to keep it a weekday.

Chris, some of the most real and best written explanation of when and how to head for the hills that I've ever seen. Very well summed up and written and has me ready to go slash their tires.

I have a tree service owner friend who keeps a list of people he won't work for almost like bad checks laminated on a restaurant countertop.

Got my Pulse Ox and my glucose monitoring endorsement tonight.

Kinda fun, but I did get my blood sugar tested. Haven't checked it for 17 years. It was 81! Right after I ate a carb heavy dinner.

For some reason I have been worried about diabetes for a few years. My biological grandmother had diabetes, not sure what type though. I am also a quarter Eskimo, so thats a risk factor too.

Relieved in a weird way.

Also got word that my 80 hour EMR class will count towards an AEMT class. So I am basically half way there. Excited as hell.

Back