How'd it go today?

Does work well the other way round, when Danes get stopped for speeding in the US.
We do 80 km/hr on main roads here.

Sorry, officer, I got confused for a moment.

I guess I got confused today too. Customer told me on the phone last week which trees he wanted removed as he couldn't meet me at the time, "pecan at the corner of the house, dead/dying oak tree by the fence". I was looking at them, described exactly where they were, what they looked like, he said "yes, that's them". Got the pecan down first thing this morning, moved into the oak, started bombing limbs and I hear, "Hey, you're in the wrong tree!" Whoops. The "right" tree wasn't even close to the fence. I told him I wouldn't charge him for the limb job.

People don't listen well. If in doubt, on a removal, have them spray paint it, or tie a string, or a flag, or something. People sometimes confuse the left for the right. A garden fence may not be 'the fence', only the lot-line fence is 'the fence' or other dum things. Most people just think the pecan is the brown stick with green leaves, much like the oak is the brown stick with green leaves.

Even when you're totally right in the situation, and they are wrong, it still works out better, IMO.

Someone said recently that MacArthur said that instructions can't just be understandable, they have to be not misunderstandable.

Hope it worked out well enough. Did you bring any wood glue?

Glad it worked out ok. Happened to me once, old client called and said take the Nicholii in the front down and grind the stump. I turned up there's a Black Wattle and a Nicholii, so I took it down. Pretty common, crappy trees. He rang me that night and went off saying I did the wrong tree, things didn't go too well then.

He turned up at my house about six months later with the money and a written apology, evidently he was a bit mixed up.

I was thinking how boring it was today until I started thinking of Nicholii's. They planted them all around here in the 60's and 70's but not too many around now, I've done hundreds of them. Terrible things to clean up, full of dead stuff and things that bite & sting. Don't miss doing them.

Makes today seem not so bad. Another hedge lowering job, another dodging wasp day. Paper wasps this time, that's three types in three weeks. Yellows Jackets, the unknown yellow peril loner and paper wasps today. My little can of petrol trick again.

wasps nest 018.jpg

Tricky ivy covered ash to do, lots of lowering over power lines and such.
Was meant to take away all the wood but a passing farmer was buttonholed and couldn't believe his luck, took it all away for free.
If you don't ask you don't get!
Only a before shot, too tired/busy during the job for a storyboard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 38
Yes they will Butch, several different species here and they all hurt.
That was a nasty looking dude to work out over that open wire secondary Mick. All it takes with the open wire is a little bump and you've got trouble. Viney trees can sure raise the aggravation level too. Do you have any poison in the ivy over there Mick?

I tell you what, I enjoyed it, not spectacular but challenging without being intimidating, weather was chilly and bright, all self lowered, boys were fairly brisk around the ground, very nicely priced and picked up another job from the neighbour.
Then back in time for a sneaky Game of Thrones before the wife got home!

Yeah, we are not all bad. Some are even less opinionated than I am!

As the son and grandson of a farmer I know that they have many things I can use.

1. Space to put stuff and plenty of it.
2. Horsepower and plenty of it.
3. They love a freebie.
4. They love a chat, often on their own all day. A handshake and a smile can make your day a lot easier.
5. Catch them at the right time of year they've got time to help.

Back