How'd it go today?

Stumps are indeed not noticeable, what happened to all the brush?

So tomorrow I will be potentially cutting a client/account loose. A golf course that's recently come onboard but the guy is unrealistic about what can be achieved in a day(day rate is what we agreed upon). I'll be letting him know in the am he's welcome to shop around and I can bid everything individually if he'd like.

I can't stand working for people who are unappreciative of what the work entails. Last Friday myself and two others did a 100' 3'+ dead Lombardi, plus a good sized elm and heavily side trimmed two willows, full clean up. Willows were climbers and everything else was boom work. A goodly amount of work to knock off in a day, he had about three times as much work lined up for us that day that he hoped to get done. F-cking asshat.

Stumps are indeed not noticeable, what happened to all the brush?

Ran a major size crusher over it.
Should have piled and burned it instead, there was too much debris on the ground for the planting to go smooth.
Not my call, unfortunately.

That is probably the name for the Machine used.
There was simply too much for it to handle well.
Had it been a conifer or beech clear cut, we would have used much of it for biomass, but old oak branches are too crooked for that.
Also, it rained a lot when we did the cutting/forwarding, so it turned into a mud hell.
I pity the poor chipper that would have to eat that mess.

Its frustrating when one simple bolt, or roll pin can put a red light on a whole operation.

I thought maybe my electric fuel pump went south. The adjuster bolt on the alternator, and it's remanufactured heli-coil went out.

Luckily my neighbor had the exact heli-coil repair kit.

New fuel pump isn't fixing it. It's supposed to be gravity fed, which might be the problem. Taking a break to De-frustrate.

Started framing on my daughter's house yesterday. By the time we quit while ago, we had most of the floor joists nailed in. Worked until dark both days, so didn't get pics...:(

After the last four days I hope to be done with conifers of all sorts for a while. Tomorrow is a SRT course so I kinda got the day off.

I had mower training day with Mom today. I have a few large properties that I could use a hand with, and putting her on the big mower I think will be most time effective. It was pretty amusing when she first started driving around, but she started to get the hang of it pretty quick.
Tomorrow is a 65ft pine removal for my sister, should be a fun family day. (No money involved and I sure wish I had the new bigger saw I've been thinking about, but it should be a good day)

Straightened out my client this morning. Some people just need to be kinda told or put in their place. Anyway it all went well and I pruned big elms on a golf course all day. Golf courses are pretty nice worksites I've found. Short grass and wide open, just watch out for the golfers!

Finished my pipeline cutting work. Was supposed to be done on April 1 but the powers that be decided to grant the pipeline crews 2 more weeks to get more cut for the year. I got in really good shape recently. We cut miles upon miles in the mountains. It feels nice to be done though. Getting up at 4:30 and rolling in the door at 7 pm totally worn out loses its luster super fast for me. A worker on a different crew about a mile from me last week got life flighted. A faller let one fly and the corner of his hinge held strong at the root flare and whipped the tree almost 90 degrees sideways in motion. Smacked his boss about 65 feet away. Both shoulders broken, lots of broken ribs, staples all over his head, a ton of stitches in his left arm and a few more breaks and bruises.

Oh man. That is nasty.
Amazing that he survived that.
We keep a 1½ tree length safety distance to each other here, on jobs like that. Anything shorter than that and it is eye contact with the other guy before you let it go.

Harsh punishment indeed. I was felling almost next to someone this week & we stopped work whilst the other felled.

Hope he swings back to good form & soon

I don't know the guy injured or the faller. 75 foot right of way being cut. Eye contact was lost at some point. The safety inspector working with my crew told us he had worked with that crew the week prior and they were not amateurs. Must have gotten complacent.

I took the day off from my tree work to partake in a little landscaping.......otherwise known as garden tilling. The phone has been ringing off the hook from people wanting to get their potatoes planted. So, I headed into town for 5 hours and tilled up 6 gardens today. 100_6593.jpg

Joel

We cut miles upon miles in the mountains.

You, living the life.

Thanks for the accident posting, helps keep us all aware of the dangers that are there full time, whether or not they are respected. Hope he heals up well and fast.

Fun day in a elm. A bit windy. I'll be able to get some nice slabs from the trunk. 40" in diameter and I cut a few at a angle that are pretty cool image.jpg image.jpg

Back