How'd it go today?

Thanks!

What the hell is up with all those. . . Pondos? Was there some kind of grade work or new sewer lines or something? They do not look happy.

20150416_110042.jpg

The first picture is of my truck pulling the head.
20150416_110528.jpg

Picture number two is with the head off, looking into the No. 1 hole. Notice the two vertical lines.
20150416_113100.jpg

Picture number three is why there is a set of lines in the cylinder liner. There is supposed to be a wrist pin retainer holding the pin in. Unfortunately, Cat used a plastic retainer know for falling out in these engines.
20150416_113018.jpg

Picture number four is the No. 1 piston ring lands. The rings are broken and missing, the skirt of the piston is scored badly.

The missing wrist pin retainer caused the pin to slide side to side which allowed the pin to score the liner. With scores that deep, the rings would catch and break, causing low compression, excessive blow by and a lot of white smoke from incomplete fuel combustion.

Took out a honey locus today, then milled about 130 grilling planks for a local supplier. Also picked up some more work for this next week. Gonna trim a couple hard maple trees and get some apple trees under control. But on a good note my wife got herself a new job at the local Sam's Club and she really seems to enjoy it. Happy wife really is a happy life

Most of the bits fell out when I pushed the piston out. Rings can get ground up and disappear, but usually they are in the lands, if the lands are still intact. A ring land is always enclosed in the cylinder walls, that way a ring cant fall out.

I did find pieces of the wrist pin retainer in the pan. Tomorrow I will get the rest of the pistons out, disassemble the head and remove the cam followers to inspect the cam.

Another solo day.

Did my first Rigguy static cable and brace in a big leaf maple, working on the Puget Sound. Then, did a homeowner clean up removal job... Couple leaning maple, pair off maples over a fence and landscape plants. 50-60' . nbd.
Going back next week to make easy money with the boxer and bucket, pushing blackberry brambles out of the drop zone. Homeowner will keep the chips to reclaim blackberry area, and I will take some nice cedar logs to my band saw miller friend in my chip truck. I love having an Ogre.

So what can you do, Jim.
Take the cylinder in for re-boring? Or is the whole block in one piece.
Hell of an engine.
I've never worked on anything bigger than motorcycles and Citroen 2CV, so those pictures are a bit mindblowing to me.

Stig, Caterpillar sells what they call "cylinder packs". The rod and piston come pre-assembled in the liner. You get new rod bolts, liner seals, and rings. The piston crown is used, but the skirt is new.

Almost all diesel engines use cylinder liners, so you can replace them and basically have a new engine. Sometimes the counter bore that the liners fit into is damaged but sometimes that can be repaired, sometimes not. If not then the block is scrap.

One major difference is that some diesels use "dry" liners instead of wet liners. Dry are pressed into a counter bore of cast iron, no contact is made between the liner and engine coolant. The more common type is a "wet" liner. They only contact the block at the top and bottom of the counter bore, and coolant circulates around them.

Wet liners are easier to remove and install, and offer a better heat transfer. Dry liners can be a real bugger to remove and install, it is a press fit the whole way.

Wet liners have seals that can leak coolant into the oil, and are affected by cavitation and to a lesser extent electrolysis. Cavitation is when little bubbles form on the liner and then implode. When they implode they take a tiny bit of metal with them. Eventually the coolant leaks into the oil. Cavitation and electrolysis can be managed with proper water treatments and grounding, or by using sacrificial metal.

This is 20 minutes ago on April 19 2015, spring is now officially over and we're back into winter. 22F and last night's rain got a little bit sloppier.

20150419_092852.jpg

Wow Jim, great info! It just blows my mind how long and hard a diesel engine can work. I'm thinking of the Mine trucks up here running 24 hrs a day, and things like commercial fishing boats where they run the whole range or RPM's day in and day out, long haul trucking logging millions of miles. . .

Yup main reason why I'm keeping my '07 pickup with the 5.9 Cummins. The more I look around the more I realize I got something that will carry on for many years to come yet, and it's only got 120K on it at the moment.
Happy I got the last 5.9 24 valve, could have ended up with the 6.7 if I waited a few months later. The 6.7 would have burnt alot more fuel over the last 8 years.

Nothing wrong with investing a little paint into a healthy diesel Willard. It will probably outlast the running gear it's mounted to.

Yup that inferno red is a nice color especially with the silver two tone rocker panels.
I've serviced that pickup impeccably, only worries is keep an eye on the 4 speed auto tranny. Wish I had the 6 speed but still no conversion to match those to the 5.9 as I'm told there is no computer wiring and sensors available to match the 2.

Interesting as hell, Jim.
Have you ever tried leaving those dry liners in the freezer overnight before installing them?
That is how I got the main bearings on the crankshaft of my old Nimbus motorcycle.
Crankshaft in the freezer, bearings on the stove, they slide right on.

+1 on the freeze/ heat. I reassemble submersible pumps with the housing and windings that way, works great, no beating or smashing!

Another solo day.

Did my first Rigguy static cable and brace in a big leaf maple, working on the Puget Sound. Then, did a homeowner clean up removal job... Couple leaning maple, pair off maples over a fence and landscape plants. 50-60' . nbd.
Going back next week to make easy money with the boxer and bucket, pushing blackberry brambles out of the drop zone. Homeowner will keep the chips to reclaim blackberry area, and I will take some nice cedar logs to my band saw miller friend in my chip truck. I love having an Ogre.

I love rigguy.

An angle grinder went cleanly through 5/16 cable. I lost the disc gilder for my mini dremel disc grinder tool for the battery drill to clean up the excess.

Two stems are only feet apart, so my measurement was accurate, and ehs cable short and light. A couple extra inches on one side. Next time. I didn't need a cable grip. Do most people use them for longer spans?

Average cost for the basic two trunk, rigguy system with a brace rod?? I charged $300.

Cavitation is what got the Dt466 in our IH 4900. We bought it like that, and did a complete in chassis. It's a great truck and was relatively inexpensive to fix. Cummins ISB are parent bore/no sleeves. A lot of old IH farm tractors, like the 806, are dry sleeved, and last for 20,000 hours. Although they can require a sniff to get started when they get that many hours.

Back