How'd it go today?

Gotta love neighborly folks and friendly winds!

I find it hard to justify pounding wedges that long (and by the same token I don't own any wedges to speak of). Setting a rope and pulling wasn't an option in the woods I take it? If I can't push it over with the loader, setting a rope and pulling it is ezpz.

Since we are usually way ahead of the skidder/forwarder, I'd have to wait for him to catch up, then go back out to the tree.
The other option is dragging my 5 ton Tirfor out there.
Honestly, I'd rather pound wedges.

You ever push trees over with a skidder arch or a skidder blade Stig? Its probably one practice that makes me want to throw up all over the place.

I can say I almost never use a wedge to get a tree on the ground. It's been at least five years since I last did it, and that was because we in the woods - not someone's back yard.

Today was good, all bucket work but I has to kill a perfectly healthy, beautiful live oak. They wanted all the trees bordering a church parking lot removed. Most were junk but that oak was awesome.

Sorry, Live Oak - RIP.

When pulling, wedges seem to fall out quickly with a Tirfor and a short attention span, I sort of feel like a dork picking them up and putting them back in, only to have them fall out again. Guess they aren't needed. :|: Stig, why don't you get a smaller one, the ton and a half with the 12 mm wire rope seems to cover a lot of territory. Five tons is huge. Used usually seems ok with a Tirfor, if you can ind them, though I have seen a few that looked like they got left in the surf.

Dealing with some zoning bs today with that piece of land were looking at. It's currently zoned as ag, but to even qualify for that ordnance, the property must be at least 40 acres, it's 2.13 acres. So I call the zoning office and ask what the deal is. They say since its less than 40 it's non conforming. I'm like ok, so what ordnance will it fall under? She told me ag. So dad and I are here scratching our heads like you say it doesn't conform or meet the requirements for ag, yet you still zone it as ag? Wtf.

Then I try to figure out what we would fall under, for how we want to use the land, and she tries to lump us in with garden centers, or whole sale nurseries, or trash disposal, all very vague references to what we want to use it for. Someone just wasn't thinking I suppose. I'm calling back tomorrow morning to hopefully talk with someone a bit higher up and get this mess sorted out. Everyone we've talked too said we shouldn't have a problem doing what we want there.

It's all good Adrian. It is Pre-existing non- conforming. That term goes miles in the right context. Good luck.

Finished out a hella bad slope today and told the HO F2F, never again.. If he lets it go, call some young bucks to act like mountain goats.
Better terrain tomorrow and the min will go to work for the next three days. Much to Katy's dismay. She is out moving mulch and Llama poop with it and would really like one more day with it. Oh well... It's been here three days. Now it needs to go make money ....
I have what I feel is bronchitis. More meds for me. Hopefully some rest this weekend.
Cleaned up a large black oak leader for the same HO we were at today. Felled another one that failed in a storm. I had predicted the larger one would fail and offered to bolt and cable it. No targets, just really nice tree. HO opted to try out another company with a bucket truck and never followed through. It felt good to be right and bad at the same time. Was a beautiful tree.

Butch,I feel your pain on the live oak. Went tonight to bid one growing through a house, where it they gave it plenty of room when all was built. My bid included a stupid surcharge;)
The beginning of my day was a cancel a client so I could go bail out a friendly competitor with 65 ft bucket that just wouldn't reach. I show up at 9 to see a large dead oak with a split at the 50 ft mark about 6ft long :eek: just tied it together as the worst side only had a few to rig the rest could fly with some pull.
Post some shots in the work pic thread.
Also got offer to climb any open days.:thumbup:

We started the day canceling a previously scheduled job because of 25-30mph winds...go do another strictly roping job. Get a call at noon, the original job, the too broke out of the tree and hit the house....frig! So we finish the first job at 3, drive nearly an hour back home and start the other, got home at 9:30 and still have a 40' 42" trunk standing to take down and grind the stump. But we are flying out to Charlotte tomorrow for the Charlotte comp, and to hang out with Adrian a bit. So a trunk can wait

Yeah, it really had. It had some obvious wind shake, we are so close to the gulf coast , and we had bad hurricanes in 05 and some minor ones in 08 that damaged almost all of our trees. Between wind shake and formosan termites, our trees are all beat up. But I still don't like the outcome of t. But the other options would have been tying into that piece today to rig pieces on the crane, or setting my nifty lift in the spot where it landed to rig pieces...so I am glad and upset over the whole thing

No doubt, much better you weren't there. I have a good friend who nearly died when a straight line wind blew out the top of the tree he was tied in to. Thirty foot free fall, shattered pelvis, internal bleeding, lost a kidney, multiple other broken bones. Three days of surgery. He barely made it.

A bit of a mixed week, a sudden influx of stump grinding jobs which was handy plus a couple of easy trimming jobs. That little chipper sure has come in handy,

Took out a bottle brush and a nice grevillea today.::cry: Covered in flowers and bees, but the owner is a bit handicapped and it was her parents idea. They're getting on a bit and trying to make it easier for her to look after I suppose. It's a shame really, I've taken everything out now and she has a good view of the shipping container in the yard behind.

I guess it'll be synthetic grass next, like in the front yard.

Back to the saga, bearings were going to be here tuesday but no call so rang on wednesday late afternoon and they would be there thursday for sure. No call again today so I rang again and he said they were just talking about me.

Guess what, they got one bearing.:saywhat:

Seven weeks today since I ordered them, even I have a breaking point eventually. Two sets of original bearings will be here monday morning.

Logging season is over.

We cut the last tree today. A big ash with extreme sidelean. Richard used a whizzy and swung that sucker in a half circle right into the lay. I wish I had it on video, it was one of the best tree manipulations I've ever seen.

The perfect way to end the season.

It has been a long, hard seaon. Started in late august and we've been running slightly ( sometimes a lot, actually) behind scedule ever since.

I'm happy it is over.

Now we have a few climbing jobs and then 34000 trees to plant, to make up for the thousands we've killed:)

Finished out a parcel we have been pecking away at the under brush for a few years. HOs only budget a handful o days per year to work it. It is done. Dingo forwarded the brush perfect so we only had one burn going all day. Wish I could have used it on the rest of the property. Too steep most of it. Now it is up to the HO to maintain and hire us for clean up once in a while or some trees. I have several cord of oak I can harvest there. Just need to call him and ask for renewed permission. I already have a customer for it. Process it there (right up the street from our house) and deliver it on my way to work in the mornings ;)

FWIW, I am taking a couple days off and work the Dingo and my saws around home for a day.
Sold a 4 pondo removal on the way home... :D

Back