How'd it go today?

Pays the bills...and that's a good thing. You can't play with a Gehl loader everyday, right?

I tractored a whole mess of chips up to an preservation project that I'm spearheading with my supervisor. There's a 5-6' DF in the middle of the one Park's group camps. Huge thing, and pretty old. We've ringed that tree and another group with logs, as a clear "island" boarder, and will have native shrubs and cedars (laminated root rot in the area, so planting an immune species) planted, and thereby do some decompacting in the process. Mulch the root zone, prevent further compaction, provide benches on the logs. Going to try to cut out some social trails, designate other trails, clearly define an access trail from the parking lot and roads. And get this, signage and interpretation, something sadly lacking from the Park system.

Easy enough day after wading through some bureaucracy in the early morning. Short day, as we worked extra while out of town.

Came home, after buying a wire rope block for trees and some compost, soil, and grass seed for the yard. Got my 12K winch electrical connections dialed in for an elm pullover tomorrow. Parks has taught me the power of winching trees. The elm won't have to be pulled too hard, but that power will come in nicely when I have a 36" fir back leaning fir to pull over. This will be the first good pulling since I got my mount well settled on the front bumper.

I underbid the elm, but hope the lumber will be worth it. I don't know much of anything about wing bark elm, but its rare around here.

Sweet Deal, Sean. Sounds positive.

Did some birding at work, nest surveys. The tree was removed as it was cheaper to remove
than reroute utilities around it, 34" Metrosideros (eucalyptus like).

The hook on the winch line failed at the knot so the line came and hammered my shoulder and back, pretty rad.
I thanked goodness the hook didn't find my head in flight.

So, then they put me on traffic control. This older woman blew my stop sign
speeding around the corner of the cone zone and almost pinned me between her car and my stopped traffic.
I threw my sign at her Benz and yelled at her. She said sorry, I said sorry. Case dismissed.

I gotta get climbing again, this ground shit is trying to kill me.....

Tomorrow, 6 olive tree trims and a coral bark maple.

Exhale.

No, I shook it off. I caught it in the meat of my lats like Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed.
Kinda gave me a nervous laugh though for a minute.

Thumb is looking good, little Physical Therapy next Wednesday and I'm gonna be on the good foot again.
Then I can bring some worthy pictures to the TH again.

There's some crazy drivers out there, take it easy Deva.

Rain this morning and I didn't have a job I could do anyway without my chipper. So went over and mowed my mums grass, it doesn't rain as much there. Just got there and two stump grinding jobs came in so I'm doing them tomorrow.

Rang vermeer then as it's not far from her place and my chipper was going to be "maybe finished" today.

Shaft came on tuesday and they actually rang and told me that.\\:D/

Bearings didn't fit.:saywhat: That's the third lot. ](*,)

Well it is starting to get to me after six weeks and slowly going broke, but I've survived a lot worse.8)

ozbeersize.jpg

Only trouble with that survival kit is when when you stop drinking it you want to strangle someone, like a spare parts person.:cuss:

Their older stuff was good, I have no complaints about my chipper or stump grinder.

Is Vermeer your only option? I hate their stuff

It was when I bought it, and no problems then but he lost the dealership and it's never been much good since. Vermeer had Sydney sewn up until Bandit opened up about then.

All the other dealers are in Victoria, mainly Melbourne. Except Rayco, they opened again last year after their first effort failed and went back to Melbourne. It costs a lot less to run a business down there, but it's about 500 miles away.

I don't like rayco either. I'm more of a morbark chipper man and Carlton stump grinders. I know a lot of people that like bandits, but I've really only run a bandit 250 and I hated it. But I don't like small chippers anyway

Ordered two super computers from Tiger direct .Should be here by Tuesday .

The two we have now where hot shots at one time but that was 9 years ago .Microsoft is going to stop support on XP pro this summer so I figured might as well pony up the money and get it over with .

The two new ones are Dell ,I5 processers ,huge operating memorys and huge hard drives ,all the bells and whistles .They have Windows 8 which I really didn't want to fool with but we'll manage stumbling through it I suppose .

The neat thing is dumb as I am about techno weinie stuff my son is an IT guru and he's only 12 miles away now of days .

Got the rest of that pondo down yesterday and moved all the wood with the mini... Serious labor saver. Client and friends got a kick out of how much the little thing would move. I had an audience. Felling the spar drew a crowd as well... I think there was a pool that I was gonna hit the fence posts. :lol: 3 foot DBH between two post 8 foot apart.. I laughed when it was down and smiled at the HO.. "See", I said, "room enough for at least another log and 1/2 in there... :lol:
Today I am going to enjoy being at home and do some house husband things. Mini is next door moving wood around. Rob finally got to move those planks he was working on with his HM Alaskan Mill. Oooops... Kids just reminded me I have a consult at noon... Guess I best get some things done before I head out.

Nice photos, Andrew. I always wonder in your pics, where are your work mates? :/: It looks lonely. All those apartments and not one head sticking out telling you to stop the noise, pretty amazing.

Nice...looks lonely out there, yeah, where are the people?

Four days in a row this week...messy macrocarpas, a euc reduction then two eucalyptus removals. The removals were in a back garden with lots of underplanting, took twice the time with all the rigging, thank goodness the neighbour wants the wood, so I don't have to move it.

Acolyte of the short bar strikes again...posin' with the 16"...then final cut the stump with an 18".

Now in the recovery phase, includes a lunch of prime rib today to replace the protein :)

Attachments

• IMGP7487.jpg
    IMGP7487.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMGP7491.jpg
    IMGP7491.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMGP7492.jpg
    IMGP7492.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMGP7494.jpg
    IMGP7494.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 67
Nice photos, Andrew. I always wonder in your pics, where are your work mates? :/: It looks lonely. All those apartments and not one head sticking out telling you to stop the noise, pretty amazing.

Nothing surprising is not here - people are happy that I sawing trees. Too much shade here.
017.jpg 018.jpg
Today we worked with a bucket truck. Cut down 18 trees.

Spanked a big norwa maple growing on a severe angle out of a washed out creek bank and over a pool and vinyl fencing. It sucked. New groundman. Had to feed him baby food on the rope. he gave it his all and had to do a lot of fishing limbs out of small trees with a polesaw while lowering with one hand. he got it though. How that tree stayed put over time is a mystery to me. I had the top out of it and was lowering logs out and as my saw would get halfway through the cuts on the bole, the tree would let out a pop. I don't know if the center of the tree had some stored misery and strain in it from growing at that sort of angle with massive head weight. Odd that with no top in it, it was letting out a distinct pop on each cut while roping the bole down.

Next week im headed down to southeast PA to step on up to a big tulip poplar. My uncle challenged me to come show him what Ive got in me. Ive accepted the challenge. No crane or bucket access. 120' poplar. He tells me there is a tree right beside it to lower out of which might fuel my naughty factor a little bit. We will see. Maybe I'll chicken out? Who knows?

Back