How'd it go today?

take pics of the tulip job, man!!!

I hate those pole saw/trees-in-the-way/limb let downs!

he gave it his all and had to do a lot of fishing limbs out of small trees with a polesaw while lowering with one hand.

Says BMS Belay Spool to me.

Good work on the tree.

Popping from changing tension as weight let off???

My Super had an alder split on him (in bucket) when he had gotten the spar down from 70' to 20'.

Dropped, bucked and burned a large number of little live oaks on a thinning job today.. I an whooped. Rain so I could not use the Dingo :( Too mucky... Came home and used the Dingo to move the large roto tiller we have over to the shop for servicing. :) Sure was easier than two guys picking it up into the truck and hauling it over. The drivers coming over the country lane were intrigued :lol: WTH????was to look I was getting.. No one has a mini up here.

Took the kindergartener to school this am, registered and insured my chipper...oh it's so nice to be able to say that. Looked at and landed a few smaller jobs. And then I went and got about 26 signatures from people in my community for a community garden I've been planning with some other like minded associates. First step is to get the requisite buzz and signature action and then bring the paperwork to city council...which should be later this week. I've been planning this for the last 6 months now and it feels like crunch time.

Here's a first draft of the design, the greenspace we are proposing it to be located in is directly behind my backyard. Its funny, the people who were most interested were the owners of properties; it was only the renters that I encountered any lack of desire or support for the idea. One fella was downright surly about it, I mean, what a dick I am for wanting to turn a neglected, ill kept public space into a garden?

Parkway Sustainability Gardens Design Phase 1.jpg

Sweet Stuff... Looking good.

Back to work full blown, last night crazy north wind sharded hella trees in the park.
Ran around the Park chasing hangers, in and out of the bucket....

On the way home did some bids.

All is well here, work is going good and coming in at a slow but steady pace, and it's picking up.

Looked at a 2.2 acre plot yesterday, believe we've found what we've been looking for! Great site to burn and store equipment, maybe build a shop on someday. Dad and I are pretty hyped about it, we're working out the financing issues on it. We've really been putting our heads together the last few months on improving the business, and we're both excited how it's turned out so far,

Work is rolling in here too. Thank goodness. I was starting to stress. Looooong winter. Its all past customers so far this year. I really don't think Ive touched a new property yet.

I hear ya, we were super slow and scared a few weeks ago. Normally things start flowing beginning of march. Nope, weird ass winter wether in march, so calls didn't roll in till late march. Dad and I just kept telling each other it'd pick up soon, and thank goodness it did, we were so slow.

Slow here, too.

I've been thinking of trying to learn more about the specialty wood market, especially since my neighbor got his bandsaw mill operational. Just had 700+ board feet of wingbark elm hauled to him, with the balance of the wood going into my woodshed after the next 6 months stacked in the sun and wind. I hope that will dry it all thoroughly.

Sean, is there a place that auctions logs in your area, or a mill that will purchase them? I mean milling lumber is cool and can be cost effective, but being able to dispose of logs quickly and get paid some is advantageous in some ways, though often not as lucrative as when turned into lumber. Considerably less handling though. I was at our local auction yard yesterday, after removing a large 170 year old Zelkova. Planted when the samurais were around. :/: Here, any tree with desirability at all can go to the auction yard, and their percentage from the sale is quite small. You can also set a minimum price if you want to. Softwood logs stretched as far as the eye could see, a lot of cutting going on, especially before the water content came up. Just about any species is wanted by someone it seems, and logs with lots of defects may still be desired by a person that makes small things, if the color and grain is attractive. Otherwise they would be firewood. Maybe sold cheap, but money in your pocket. I googled, but couldn't come up with log auctioneers in your area.

If their are lots of woodworkers in the area and no auction, tree guys should maybe get together and start their own, say once or twice a year. Needs to be a mill in the area as well, and a system in place for hauling when people can't do it themselves, potential buyers I mean. Logs seem like big business to me, judging by the activity around the yard. People soon realize how much cheaper that can get the wood if they buy logs and are willing to have it milled up and then dry it themselves. Lots of buyers at the auctions are mills, and some big ones, looking for wood for their customers.

Adrian, we are busy. If you ever hot a slow spot, you know the number. You are always welcome here. And glad to hear that y'all found some prospective property. We have been doing nothing but crane removals, I'm ready for some change of pace, but I'll take what comes.

Went to my AM appointment this morning but did not get out till almost noon. Sent Rob out on a clearing job I will join tomorrow. Lights for the Datsun finally rolled in today so that, the splitter and a couple other things became my work of the day. Kat wanted the rototiller serviced for her use tomorrow. Damn lights came in wrong on a slow boat from China. Sooooo I fabbed up some new brackets and installed them anyway. Looks nice anyway. Neener Neener... :P
Splitter is almost set, add some hydraulic fluid... done. Checked fluids on the mini, helped Rob with his chainsaw and Rob did the rototiller. Moved the mini and tiller back to my place and all is good. Kat brought home pizza at my request.. life is good.
Scheduled through most of July... Pines are dying everywhere and I am getting under bid on a lot of it. Don't care. The ones they got they are getting hurt on. There is a reason I placed a high dollar on it. As did one o my competition. We were about $500.00 apart, me being high. $150.00 on another. Idiots are calling him asking him what to do about extracting the logs :lol: Almost hit the house on one with a large round of wood.. Ahhhhhhhh life's amusements. :lol:

Life is good.

Hand is like 70% max right now, almost 7 weeks after jacking it.
Go in for Physical Therapy tomorrow after a little Redwood limb cleanup and look see in the AM.
Might as well get some side work in since I'll take the whole day for an hour PT appointment.

I saw "life is only as good as you let it" spray painted on a wall today.

Logging season is ending this week.
Just a few trees left to kill.

I was felling some LARGE beech trees today next to a county road. Had one with a lot of lean towards a swampy spot, that I couldn't get started on wedging. Just wouldn't start rising at all.

So I left it standing on a hinge and two wedges and walked down the road to my truck for some more wedges and some fuel.

As I was walking back along the road, a car stopped and a guy asked if I was out of fuel ( guess I looked like I was walking towards a gas station somewhere out in the horizon). That a stranger would stop like that cheered me right up and when I got back to the tree, it had been blown ower by a hard gust of wind and was laying smack in the lay:)

I had figured on ½-3/4 hour of hammering on that tree.

Back