How'd it go today?

Wow, everybody loves theirs, I hate mine. ALC levers absolutely rock.

Dylan, when does your season wrap up? Or does it just slow down, barring storm damage. Whatcha gonna do with that time?

All but finished a huge ash takedown from yesterday. Bucket wrecking done by my supervisor. I worked the ground. 40+ yards of chips, little hand loading, love the chipper winch!! Lotsa logs--tractor with bite bucket. Wish I had a some pictures of it, but was too busy.

I'm frustrated by people being asleep at the wheel, and getting paid much more than me to do it, while I get questioned over ridiculous stuff, especially stuff that I know much more about than them. Hard to let it go sometimes.

In the bigger picture, Dahlia is in the ErgoBaby carrier in front of me, asleep :).

Cleaning it up is always the same price as the grinding, here. Heck its more work than grinding. So the whole job is grinding x2.

$100-150 here is a decent ballpark for a low cut stump with minimal surface roots. The price could easily double for a knee high stump or surface roots.

Back in the cold country...arrived last Thursday, first job was on Tuesday. Removed two small half dead elms avoiding the fruit orchard below. One had a 20' dead top, got a rope in it, lead it over an adjacent tree then deliberately felled it to hang up, rolled it off the stump then cut it up for firewood a chunk at a time as the Bob man lowered it bit by bit.
Then trimmed up a lot of low branches off the big elms. Worked all day in long sleeves, a fleece and chainsaw trousers, barely broke a sweat...and 10 days ago I was sweating in the tropics in T shirts and tech pants!

Chap came to the house, he'd seen my poster in the window of our local fuel station/takeaway...we followed him 40mins up into the mountains to his shack next to the lake, got one medium removal and two small reductions, these will be my first eucalyptus, clear drop zone thank goodness. Could lead to more work in the area, no one wants to have to pay for the big companies to come all the way from the city!

Thinking seriously of selling two small saws 026 and a 290 to get a bigger one, one that can run a 25" bar..., should get over $1000, thinking of a 441...

Oh it's always something .I got the replacement engine for Tom's log splitter and I'll be damned if it wasn't a different design .

Some where around the early 90's they changed the engine front cover design and the pump mount wouldn't fit from the old to new .So now I'm waiting for a new pump mount to arrive .

I think what blew his engine was the fact somebody replaced the governor spring with a stiff one causing the engine to over speed .Those things are goverened at 3600 RPM's for a reason .They will run at 5-6000 R's but they won't run long .

Yes it is.
I just ordered another one yesterday, to replace the old apprentice saw.
Martin has enough saw savvy now that we trust him with a brand new saw for the upcoming season.
Usually we start apprentices up with a well worn saw, since they are pretty hard on it anyway.

If you can get the C model, go for that, Fiona.
It has a bit more low end torque whivh should help with the longer bar.

SDC12455.jpg SDC12450.jpg SDC12447.jpg
If you can get the C model, go for that, Fiona.
It has a bit more low end torque whivh should help with the longer bar.
Just to give Fiona another option if she has a local Husqvarna dealer in Tasmania or Bermuda, I would suggest she own a Husqvarna 562XP.
Lighter and more compact then the 441, and is rated by the factory for up to a 28" b/c. Beautiful 60cc saw with the attitude of a 70cc saw.
If available give one a try Fiona and you'll never look back at the other saws.

Got rained out today. Still got a couple hours in. Not like I don't have stuff to do around the house and shop anyway. Kid with the truck that had an AC unit in it is coming over from the day care the kids used to be in to get some wood. The day care wants to take some rounds and make a sand box out of them. I am going to donate a bunch to her.

I can't believe how the weather is changing so fast here. 35 degrees out this morning, wild. The mrs. is bugging me to start a fire, because I refuse to turn on the baseboard heat. Can you believe I don't have any split firewood? Either can she :lol: House is 61 degrees, I told her to bundle up baby. Parts for the conveyor are coming next week, and I gotta pick up some pallets to feed it onto. Then we are in business.

Hauled a bunch of Tulip today. Ended up finally getting in contact with a local farm, and secured a place to dump what ever I want. Free chips, and a $10/yd for logs. Not to shabby.

Spread 18 yds of stone out back after work, and un bolted my mason dump body for the new Ali flatbed install this weekend. Gotta build a plywood temporary box for it too until I get the new welder hooked up in the garage. Oh boy, gonna be a busy one.

Yeah, why don't you get something done for a change??:P

Sounds like a great dumping spot, that rocks.

Seems me own log splitter took a fit and refused to start .Blow air through the carb jets and got it going .

When I built that thing I never reset the original pressure relief on the valve .It was factory set at 1800 PSI and with a 5 inch cylinder would split about anything.

It would occasionaly stall out on a tough gnarly piece so I cranked it up a notch and shortly there after blew a hydraulic hose for my efforts .

Just got my little washer/gasket part for my splitter today... Sheesh. Guess I get to put the valve back together tomorrow. Been doing rainy day projects on both houses today. Moved my Silvey that suffered goat damage over to the shop we are making over there and fixed it back up. Bee nice to be warm and dry when I do chains this winter :lol:

Had a good, pretty low stress triple leader hemlock removal hanging over a house. Half could be dropped, half rigged. Not overly tall. Thick at the base, previously topped or storm damaged, or both. Logs as they lay, no bucking at all. He'll Craigslist the wood away for free. Some slightly to somewhat decayed hemlock, doesn't that say 'warm and toasty'.

HO also has a 4 leader doug-fir that has been topped numerous times at different heights. Might go away next year.

Crew worked out well. Ross, the new guy, Amy's friend, and our rent paying/ labor trading housemate from Oklahoma, is picking up on stuff. He watched some of a chainsaw training video. He's got Madsen's chap demo with the ham, or whatever, to watch next.

Was supposed to work on a skylight and roof repair that didn't happen this summer, with the baby, and then out 'vacation', but rain hit, and will be here all weekend. First rain in months. I've got two weekend days free before heading to near the mouth of the Columbia River next week. Some honey-do's to do over the next two days.

We have had to decide who we would want to take care of Dahlia if Amy and I should both die. Kinda crazy. We have two local families in mind who are our friends. Our families are too crazy.

Back