How'd it go today?

Oh, I can drink it faster than a normal waitress can bring it! Short glass, lots of ice, double shot and a splash of coke!

A had to give it up myself .I drink whiskey like I drink beer which is not good .Every so often I forget and pay for it later .

Insanity is doing something you know will have a bad outcome but do it anyway .

Not much today .Put the saws away from the GTG and got the 042 running .

It now has every part on it that it came out of the factory with including a functional chain brake .

Sort of a rain day here... Figured I would try my hand last night at splicing my first loopie sling.. I know I know... Easy Peasy. But I have to start somewhere. :) I was going to do a couple out of 3/8ths Tenex but WesSpur was sold out at the time I ordered.

Attachments

• IMG_20120604_160426.jpg
    IMG_20120604_160426.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 7
Nice man, looking good! Keep it up and you'll be doing double braid in no time!

Pretty chill day here today. Worked half a day than got rained out, so I took the time to run a few errands and I'm pretty much caught up on everything I need to be right now. Basement tile is all done, painting starts tomorrow.

Been saving my pennies and bought a new PC today as well, should be here in about 2 weeks, custom Alienware desktop, looking forward to getting back into some PC gaming, especially since I have space to set up a desktop comp now lol.

Summer is here, this week began the countdown to cooler weather. 4 months and counting.

Broke a clutch spring on my 200T this morning, first time I can recall ever doing that on a 200T. The saw has been in service about 5 months and I think I'm on my third chain. This one seems a bit of a dud compared to my others, I ran my 2 year old backup saw the rest of the day and it's noticeably stronger. When I got home I dug around in the spare parts bin and found a clutch assembly off a dead saw. Swapped them out with the impact in about 3 minutes so it's good to go back on the truck tomorrow.

Two beautiful live oaks in a nice front yard... I trimmed one and ALAP'ed the other.

There outta be a law...

:X

Several months back I was working in this yard and looked at this black locust in the neighboring yard. It had a beautiful fruiting body 12' off the ground. My first thought was wow, I should take a picture of that, that's awesome. We're very dry here and don't get a lot of that sort of thing. Well we've got a windstorm tonight and I got called to see a tree that had a spar fall onto a house. Sure enough, its the same place. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut about how I'd noticed the flaw months ago. It had honey bees in it at the same level too. I may have to go play around with it in the rain tomorrow. I really don't want to. I have plenty of work and if I never get any emergency work again, I'd be good with that. I know that's a bad attitude but I hate having my work schedule getting scrambled up.

Been cutting Beetle Kill Lodge Pole Pines for the last week on a golf course here in town....Fell the tree, cut the tree, chip the tree. Getting a little boring and dusty! And it was about 90 today...talk about hot for the mountains. Tomorrow is a nice change of pace...Huge Willow removal between two houses, bucket work babay!

Took bubba to get a new fishing pole after his Scooby Doo combo failed yesterday fishing!
Playing D C Talk "Jesus freak" at all of 70db in the garage waiting on the cops from the bitch neighbor! But hey, it's Christian music so that makes it right, right?
And FYI, 70db is less than the noise in a car!

Yeah.. beetle kill not munch fun... Done with those for now... but...... Busy little buggers!
I guess one could always be thankful for the work Darin... But storm crap does get old. And you have been doing it a lot longer than I.

The emergency work is hectic/ frantic, but the trees on houses with insurance work is what puts money into a retirement account.

Had a consulting arbo come down from Seattle with a Tomograph, but unfortunately, a software glitch kept us from having results on a 7' doug-fir. It had been previously Resistographed, with poor results, though the top snapped out, so the base is seeing tremendously reduced loads from its original growing conditions, so the strength loss due to decay of Schweinitzii is balanced somewhat.

I used the CA's new resistograph, WAY nicer than the older ones! Got two data sets at a bark anomoly at about 30', then shot a line from 50' to a good TIP (sorta, one bomber crotch, but also over a bad limb at the same height, but bounce testing worked out fine. The CA headed up first, then I followed to a resting point, pulling up the resistograph, the sending it up to him another 40'. We got a solid reading at around 120'. He got a bit higher and got another solid reading, at about 50' below the high breakout. It was still in the 44" diameter ballpark at the breakout, so the tree may have been 100' taller or so.

A cool day, if somewhat slow in the morning while the tomograph was acting up.

Spooky a bit up there with not knowing how solid anything was.

Probably no original shaped branches left on the tree, only reiterations.

Hopefully the CA will send me some pictures. My phone battery died, and I didn't know the cigarette lighter wouldn't charge it, only the power port.

Saw some activity on Twitter regarding tornado action near one of our Canadian members, gave him a ring a ling to warn him in case he hadn't heard (he hadn't but he knew it has been stormy) then got accosted by my son trying to say goodnight to me. Stay safe Canuck!

"#abstorm RT @country95: #Taber police report power outage over eastern section of the town. Significant tree damage"
"Cell N of Taber, AB cycling again and showing tornadic characteristics. People between Vauxhall and Enchant, AB TAKE COVER. @weathernetwork"
"If along Hwy 36 in AB take cover. Tornadic cell that just hit Taber, AB is tracking along the hwy and becoming tornadic again."

FWIW, Canuck is east of Taber... Hunker down!

Attachments

• AurPRQZCAAA2Umf.jpg large.jpg
    AurPRQZCAAA2Umf.jpg large.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Smashed the rear vindow of my truck today.
I was coming through a curve on a small road and there were two guys walking on the road ( not in the side of the road) drinking a can of beer each.
I figured they'd step aside, but as I got near, I realized that the outside guy was blind, carrying the signature white stick.
Since there was oncoming traffic I couldn't pass and had to brake hard enough that the ATV on the truckbed stuck it's nose through the rear window of the cab.

WTF!

You'd figure that if someone wanted to take their blind friend out for a beer drinking walk, they'd be smart enough to put him on the curb side.

But then the whole walking on the road, openly drinking beer signals that they don't give a f...!

I was so pissed off, but not much I could do about it.
Around here they don't award you brownie points for beating up blind guys.

I guess you never saw the movies about the blind swordsman, "Zatoichi", I mean the guy was ultimate bad azz.

Attachments

• 274-zatoichi-and-the-chest-of-gold_1964_zatoichi-s_2f278cc9.jpeg
    274-zatoichi-and-the-chest-of-gold_1964_zatoichi-s_2f278cc9.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3
Bad day today. 5 minutes into our job the mini spit out a bunch of white smoke and died. Apparently a wire had gone bad yesterday and rendered the charging system obsolete again, so we thought it was the same thing. Started it up fine and it ran for maybe 5-10 seconds and died again. Took us about 10 minutes to discover something very bad was wrong, oil was leaking into the exhaust, and into the air filter(this was soaked with oil, literally dripping just about) on top of engine, basically everywhere. Thing sucked to load up on the trailer, but we got her on.

Gonna see what our mechanic says, but this may be the end of this mini for now. I've learned long ago to stop throwing money into something at a certain point and replace it instead of continuing throwing money at it when you're gonna have to replace it in the near future anyways. Talked to Top Notch, Dave's gonna give me a ring when he gets back to wrk Monday and we should know by then whats up with the Thomas.

Bad investments happen to most of us at some point. Hopefully its a cheap fix and the machine stays off that bad investment list.

Yeah man, sorry, meant to post something in the shirt thread. Got all three now :)

And I don't necessarily look at it as a bad investment. I'd say it's just about payed for at least half of itself while we've had it, plus its really hammered home in Dad's thick skull that we need one of these and can do so much more with it. And I mean, the BMG grapple it came with is an easy $2k+ new I think, so that alone is almost worth it.

My day was.........bizarre. Took a hour spruce down for what I thought was a normal guy. I've done a lot of work for his brother, a cop. Took the tree down, wrapped up clean up, found him on his back deck and was looking to square up. He was high out of his mind on pills. Had the prescription bottle sitting on the patio table. He never even knew we were there! He staggered down to the back of the property with me to look at the work. Nodded off and fell down twice on the way. He couldnt locate the stump to verify the work had been done. He was 10 feet from it. Couldnt make a sentence hardly, nodded off and fell and hit his head on the stump. Told me he couldn't pay me, doesn't have a job. I tried to reason with him for 10 minutes but he insisted he would pay me in the future.

Back