How'd it go today?

Already taken care of. His brother is paying me. Called him from the jobsite. I can't say for sure, but my groundman may or may not have been authorized to throw him like a football across his yard. When I attempted to leave, the man clung to my chipper and wouldn't let go. He was leaning on it for support and cursing me out. I didn't want to pull away until he was on his own, off the chipper. My right hand man asked if he should get out and remove him. I winked and said please. He may, or may not have helped him off the chipper and across the yard. I just can't say for sure online. He was cursing me for calling his brother. I guess his outrageous pill binges are his dirty little secret.

Geeez Adrian. Sorry you lost the engine. At least an engine costs a lot less than another mini.

Finished up that cedar "hedge" today. Got all four of the nasties sorted out and Kat limbed up the other two on the side. Took some hangers he did not know about out of them as well. Got done and HO decided to remove one of the bigger tops (basically a lateral now going vertical near the house) so it does not break like they did last year. So back up I went and reduced it. He still wanted more so I took most of it. Handed him the bill for an extra hour on top of the original quoted work... He frowned a bit, but wrote the check and started talking about more work around his commercial rentals... Sticker shock.. HA. Teach him early why not to send the climber back up for more after he is done with a prune :lol:
Called it a day and ran a bunch of errands and went home ;)

Hopefully a once in a lifetime deal. As amusing as it is, its not pleasent in the moment. Had his brother not been a good customer of mine, and willing to foot the bill, we may have lumped him up pretty good and left him in the street. There were no witnesses around. I don't pride myself on wild west behavior, and that's not how we roll, but it'll be a cold day in hell when someone burns me on work and laughs in my face.

I would imagine that when it's the pills talking, there isn't a lot there to reason with. You might be beating up a person that is already a victim. Possibly of his own doing, but nevertheless.

I once thought I got burned on work. Worked for a guy whose landlord lives cross country, and I wasn't able to call. Rolled the dice and did the work. Tenant couldn't get me paid for 3 months. Told me his landlord in one of the top dogs at NASA and must be doing something top secret because he can't be reached. A few months later I get a check, with an apologizing letter, on NASA letterhead. Still don't know the guys name, check was written from a corporation. Letter said he was in a remote desert location doing developmental testing on a top secret new space suit. Signed "Cosmo". I still have the letter over my desk.

We didn't whip him Jay. But I don't care what his circumstances are, he confirms our scheduled work with me last night, and today he is wasted and laughs me off at bill time. No siree. That's no good. He needs rehab, not tree work.

Man Chris, sounds like you had one interesting day lol.

And yeah, the mini definitely earned its keep. But Dad has had a habit of keeping equipment past its prime and just sinking money into it that would be better put towards a replacement. Kinda hard sometimes to draw the line of when to cut and replace and when to put money into it to keep her going.

Got in my pickup this morning. Realized my gps and new dewalt cordless impact was gone. Truck was unlocked. Came home this afternoon and decided I should report the theft. Turns out my neighbor across the street got her stereo jacked from her car. Well in the process of boosting the stereo the thief was interrupted and dropped my impact. Cops have it in evidence fingerprinting it. I hadn't even gotten to put it to use. Should be able to get it back Monday at the latest.

Yesterday I finally got in on the Wriggly estate and dropped some trees and oh what magnificent trees they are, tall straight and massive. I saw some basswoods that were knocking at the door of 150' which is almost unheard of in SE Wisco and I had to hug a oak that was about seven foot DBH and easily 110', and this was all in maybe an acre area out of a 100+ parcel to be cut. The guy who has the contract is really going to push it this fall and winter so I should have some stories.
I was a kid in a candy store walking through the woods, so surreal, looking up.

This is the first time something has been stolen from the house. Apparently the cops have a good idea who it is.

I'm going to install a few cameras around the property. Just in case!!

Yesterday I finally got in on the Wriggly estate and dropped some trees and oh what magnificent trees they are, tall straight and massive. I saw some basswoods that were knocking at the door of 150' which is almost unheard of in SE Wisco and I had to hug a oak that was about seven foot DBH and easily 110', and this was all in maybe an acre area out of a 100+ parcel to be cut. The guy who has the contract is really going to push it this fall and winter so I should have some stories.
I was a kid in a candy store walking through the woods, so surreal, looking up.

That sounds awesome Rajan. Bet you find a couple rec climbing trees in there ;)

Had an interesting experience on Thursday. I was attending a meeting with the boss when we got a call that our other bucket man had gone out to remove a branch broken off in the wind the night before. After making a couple of cuts to get some weight off, the log rolled and came the rest of the way loose from the tree. It and some tree tops from the opposite side of the street that were also damaged decided the bucket was a good resting place. When they tried to move the bucket out from under them, they just followed. I got our big bucket truck, tied the butt of the bigger chunk off to the tree where it had broken and then had our head mechanic back the small bucket down out of the way with the lower controls. A few of the smaller tops across the street followed, but did no damage. The rest was routine cleanup.
I don't know if we will get the young fellow back up on a storm damage cleanup for a while though. In a way it was lucky the bucket caught the bigger chunk as there was a FEMA trailer under the tree and it would have probably been in serious trouble if the whole works had landed on it.
Such was my excitement for the week.

Bob, you have an older Altec material handler bucket, right? Those booms are plenty strong, you can pull the truck over with them without damaging them. Glad your operator and the truck are alright.

Today I knocked down a couple dead oak trees in a back yard and I got to set the truck up on top of a septic drainfield. A few sheets of plywood and I managed to get it done without sinking in. When the idiots dug up the back yard for the drainfield, they took up the entire back yard including right up to the trunks of the two oak trees (which were along the back fence). There was gravel piled up around the base of the trees when I went to make the stump cuts.

Not much so far .Sprayed the driveway at my shop for weeds ,retrieved a trailer out of the weeds I hadn't used for 20 years .

Ordered some stuff from Baileys including 110 drivers of chisel skip .It's for a 10 series 32" McCulloch bar a guy gave me .Hard to say what the driver count is .Windsor made those over sized Bars for Mac .Must have been a west coaster because it has a .404 nose on an .050 bar . Also ordered a 3/8" Windsor speed tip nose from flea bay .

When the nose gets here I'll make a little thread on how you change them as I don't think I've ever seen it on the net before .

Back