How'd it go today?

It sure is hard. I did have a competitor (kinda) tell me he is quitting end of the month and wants to throw me refferals, that could be nice

Then I found out I inherited one of these, http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/.../deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-kit/6232-21 Things just seem to get stranger day by day in my world!

Interesting to note the fact that some of the newer deep cut porta-bands use the exact 44 7/8" bands as do the standard portable bandsaws .The older models such as Greenlee deep cuts use a little longer bands .Those things were a tad heavier also .

I've got an older Rockwell/Porta Cable I've had for decades ,standard throat size .

All you nasty treekillers!

I went the other way today, planting Norway spruce mixed with Doug fir.

In pouring rain, which is great for the little trees, but less great for us.

The apprentice finally broke the 1000 trees/day number today.
Actually he blew it off the map, planting 1200 doug firs.

So we told him to go around the Sherril store on his way home and pick himself a nice climbing rope out.

He is paid a fixed wage, and he works like possesed, so a reward now and then is certainly in order.

Tomorrow he'll get to use that new rope while dropping his first biggish top.
After putting in over 1000 hrs of treefalling, we have finally allowed him to use chainsaws in trees:)

Simple deadwooding today but:

Got home and found these little guys on a shelf in the shop next to where I park the truck. :D

Mama was fussing at me when I took the pic. I'll try to post others if I can. But, I definately don't want to scare her into abandoning the nest.

7116578619_8fd1e889bd_z.jpg

My last couple have not been the kindest. Went for xrays lower back after flipping 6ft pine off of a secondary road as loader was gone to dump. L5 pinching nerves:-( Any of you have this issue and how did or are you fairing? Do not want to give up what I love at 40.
If nothing else be kind to your back use the mechanical advantage. Took today easy chiropractor Fri but out the door to clean up a hanger over a shed just to the ground.

Some kind of turdus?

IDK - could be. I'm trying not to hang around too long. So, I haven't gotten a good look a mama, yet. I really don't want to scare her away. She doesn't seem to mind my coming & going. After all she built the nest and hatched eggs not two feet from my truck.

She has been pooping all over stuff for a while ... but we live in the woods ... ya kinda get used to it ... kinda :lol:

I'm sorry to hear that, Justin. You can blame it on the thin air out there, that worked for me. :P

Hopefully the job was worth it.

Waited out the rain thins morning and then went and started a new clearing job while it was just sprinkling.
Only got 4 hours in, but made some improvement under the house above a creek.....

Attachments

• 2012-04-26 11.33.07.jpg
    2012-04-26 11.33.07.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2012-04-26 11.33.11.jpg
    2012-04-26 11.33.11.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 2012-04-26 11.33.30.jpg
    2012-04-26 11.33.30.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 3
  • 2012-04-26 15.44.13.jpg
    2012-04-26 15.44.13.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 4
Hey Risky, Get some therapeutic massage. Helped me a lot after my auto accident. The Chiro only got me to a certain plateau but the weekly and then bi-weekly massage put me back together again. I would imagine you could write some of it off as health maintenance too. Feel better.

Last edited:
My last couple have not been the kindest. Went for xrays lower back after flipping 6ft pine off of a secondary road as loader was gone to dump. L5 pinching nerves:-( Any of you have this issue and how did or are you fairing? Do not want to give up what I love at 40.
If nothing else be kind to your back use the mechanical advantage. Took today easy chiropractor Fri but out the door to clean up a hanger over a shed just to the ground.

Sorry to hear {read}, Joel. I've had pinched spinal nerves twice, T5 (years ago) & T7 (last year) - AAAWFUULL! Can't remember what triggered the first one. The chiropractor thing helped for a few hours. The last one was a simple but HARD trip backwards. I got a script for muscle relaxer - nothin' - no help. Both times, a few days of light duty to let the local swelling around the nerve go down and I was good to go. Hope you're so lucky -- ain't nothin' like luck.

Hang in there my friend - good luck & take it easy for a while. :drink:

Butch, There have been plenty of windy days , busy days, long days, returning calls till 8 PM days ...and I have a girlfriend with whom I am trying to spend a little time. Other than that piddly stuff I have no excuse for my absence from the House.

Correct me if I'm wrong Justin but I seem to remember you posting up quite awhile back about working up the nerve to talk to a nice gal at one of your local haunts. Not one and the same is it?

Regardless, and regardless of our differing opinion on some things, it's good to read ya man.

No not the same one Squish...This lady has been a friend for a while but had a guy in her life until a few months ago. Things change. I went from no likely prospects to suddenly a confusing number of women calling me, texting me, asking other people to find out about me.... But this gal and I seem to be good for one another.

Back