How'd it go today?

spent 4 hrs on reviewing for a zoology test coming up on Tue and another five on programming homework. Time to read a bit more, then call it 'till tomorrow...

Had a job out in a gated community at 1200 elevation today. Have a few customers in there on small horse properties. I thought I had two lined up next door to each other but the one canceled. Kept my commitment on the other one and just made a short day of it. Little 20-25 foot tall Ulmus parvifolia that had never been pruned save for nipping the low laterals of epicormic growth. Had a real nice spread as it was wider than tall. Pretty little thing.. Faster to climb right in and not use the orchard ladder and pole saw for most of it and then just touch up the low stuff from the ground. Customers were happy.. got paid and came home to play with my gear. I had a small tether for my new handled ascender to set up and I am still fussing with it.... Needed to replace my flip line/positioning lanyard with a newer piece of arbormaster so handled that... Just one of those it's time things. Doing some tree felling in the Telegraph Fire area up the hill from me for the next couple of days.. Should come back all sooty and needing new air filters. :lol:
Chillin and swillin coffee contemplating dinner.

Worked on a day rate today. Restoration pruning a topped pecan. Customer comes home and decides she would rather just cut it down!! No worries. Ended up with a 200$ tip at the end of the day. My kinda job. Where it fell is where it stayed.

Tips are a wonderful thing!

Totally blew lab in computer programing class today...I'm just not a speed computist. Think I did ok on zoology test later though. just kinda chilling and playing with the dogs tonight...

Picked up a nice hourly job today. 2 crews for 2 weeks and a tonne of removals.

Zoology and micro were my favorite subjects! :rockon:

I'm liking Microbiology too, boss! :nerd:

:D

...just not when taken in combination with Bio and Anatomy at the same time. Yesterday was quizzes and papers. Today, I've been getting stuff together for a video on Weatherization for Energy efficiency for my BIO class, after spending the morning at our place with another insurance adjuster, re-adjusting, and coming back here to this house and shoveling mud out of the basement and sump pit.

Been an expensive week so far. We had an Allison auto trannie go in one of our 3 tonnes, a hydraulic motor blew up in one of our mini's and blew a hydraulic line inside of the upper boom of one of out Mat 3 booms (this repair requires removing the telescopic boom section from inside the main upper boom, very extensive repair, gonna re-hose the whole boom since it is going to be apart).

I have the funnest job in the whole world!

Last two days dropping burnt dead hazard trees. Three years since the fire so the pines are scary as shit and the oaks can be as well. Fell most into the favor of the lay but there were a few I wanted better placement of. Most of them are entwined with others and no weight to throw through the branches of each other. Nice hard kiln dried oaks... Fell three together like dominoes at one point. Too many hangers to fell each one safely. Make the cuts and push them over with a tree from behind. Made the cuts perfect which made me do the happy dance on that group. Each tree went a hair out of favor. On next to one side of the slash pile, the middle on top of the pile and the pushing tree to the other side of the slash pile. No tangle foot or bound trees to butcher. :D
Nipping hinges almost had one get me, spun hard off the other tree as I was moving away fast. Log hit the curve of the tree bowed like a rocking chair runner and jumped. I was ready. Still scary. Had my fast shoes on :D
A lot of hangers in them from water and retardant drops during the fire. This is one that if you feel the slightest bit tired, you call it a day. Old mines, tracks and cables. Plenty of things to stumble on. Tops that can pop as you fell them. Nothing more than 100 foot high for a pine, but deadly anyway. Got paid and I am sure we will be back there before the end of January.
Got paid by three clients today so that felt good and we landed a couple of jobs this evening.
Soccer ran late so my estimate did so as well. Felt like Gary needing a head lamp to look at trees with :lol:
Good day... we all lived :)

Been an expensive week so far. We had an Allison auto trannie go in one of our 3 tonnes, a hydraulic motor blew up in one of our mini's and blew a hydraulic line inside of the upper boom of one of out Mat 3 booms (this repair requires removing the telescopic boom section from inside the main upper boom, very extensive repair, gonna re-hose the whole boom since it is going to be apart).

Shoot, there goes that final week in Hawaii!

Shoot, there goes that final week in Hawaii!

Built some more shelves in the shed .The damned place was starting to get on my nerves tripping over things .

Repaired a Briggs starter by taking two starters and making one .Then don't you know I found another in the shed .Now I can take three and make two . The Thursday money saver .

spent the last two days in the city, our annual horticulture trade show. I volunteer for some helping out and get comped in to a couple seminars for it. Met a tech geek/guru that was speaking yesterday and had good 2 hour chat with him. Didnt win either of the two awards I was up for :( maybe next year. Back home now to phone messages, emails and work tomorrow. Carry on. :)

Still staying swamped here. I've had to delegate out all the office work to my wife. It's become to much, my voicemail only holds 10 messages and often by lunch it's full. Not much of a lunch when you only stop for 15 anyways and you spend it all returning calls.

Tomorrow is my weirdest treejob ever annual day. I'll drive for close to three hours into the bush, than hike through a clearcut down through some standing timber to a lake where there's a camouflage rowboat hidden nearby. Than row around the point of the lake to some cabins were we'll knock out 4 or 5 dead nastys. I'm leaving at 4:30am tomorrow.

No sh-t!

Gotta make sure everything is packed, it's a pita to prep for really but it's fun to do something different.

I get alot of calls this time of year for smaller jobs it seems. I think I'm at the point were possibly this next spring I might try and expand a little, the demand is there. I'm sensing weakness in my main competitor, it might be time to go for the finishing blow. Or stick with the formula that I know works. Either way I'm feeling pretty damn good about my presence/rep in the local market.

Lol, I should get a website.

I'm good with people, honestly I'm a real nice guy unless someone is a ass than I can be not so pleasant. Generally though I always go the extra to make certain that people are not just satisfied but extremely happy with my work. A huge amount of my calls are referrals and repeats, still basically little to no advertising.

But if things slow-up man I don't waste no time wondering why I beat down the doors of businesses, municipalities, highways, you name it. The only thing I don't do is residential doorknocking. I'll flyer the hell out of neighbourhoods that I want to work in, like rich acreage areas. It's cheap and works. Never on peoples property but on telephone poles, store/community boards, around RR(rural route) mailboxes. Places like that.

Back