How'd it go today?

Oh boy did I get rained on, nothing better than being cold and wet. Luckily I got the spruce down and chipped before it started but I still needed to do the stump and prune two maples, ash, and the dreaded hawthorn at my parents house.

Nice work Squish!!

Easy day today, pruning hedges and pulling up flower gardens, just misc stuff we do for this client ever year.

Interesting run in with a competitor today also. Where were working, they are planting 7 huge Taxis shrubs, a job we would normally do(and and have done very successfully at one bed on the property already). But the architect went and backstabbed us for some reason and went with another crew. First they tried to tree spade, but that didn't work, too confined for their big 60". So they're hand digging holes, and getting them balled and burlapped from the nursery. Show up at the gate in a large knuckleboom with 6 of the shrubs and their truck breaks down. Dad and I are happy are hell, because these guys were assholes already. But we offer to tow them up to the planting site and a flat spot where they can fix the truck. We did and the little frig didn't even say thank you or anything. And too top it off, when they planted the shrubs, they didn't remove the burlap or wire basket or anything, so now we have to go back and fix it, because our client wants it done right. One of those WTF moments

I think I just got a decent size insurance mandated roof clearance and service clearance today.. I don't really have the schedule for it, but I will see what I can do. Always last minute. Been there 15 years and now decides she better clean up the place when her insurance threatens to cancel her. Oh well... money, money, money...

Got a lesson that nice soft looking sequoias will scratch the heck out of you if you don't wear sleeves. Two small floppers. My log pile(s) getting too big. Gotta get the Woodmiser miller out. Then it'll be too many boards. Plan to build a deck and some fencing.

Pruned a few oaks.

Gave my neighbor a load of chips for his pasture.

Today is a rest day.

Good, fun, easy day today. Worked at a friends house that we've known for awhile. Pruned a big Pin Oak, removed a 12" lead from a Norway maple, pruned a Magnolia, and other misc work. All fun stuff for the most part. They even gave us money for lunch which was awesome!

Had a small oops moment while taking the lead outta the Norway maple. Was lowered most stuff to avoid hitting fence and AC unit. Needed to get a little branch outta my way(probably around 3/4" diameter). Didn't expect to hurt anything, but the tip caught and it went butt first into a plastic pad the AC unit sits on. I thought it was concrete before I went up, but turns out its just some cheap plastic. No biggie as far as I know, but still one of those weird little things you don't expect to happen.

Medium Spruce take down, and a dead Maple before lunch. After lunch winched over a leaning Maple, and dropped chip, cut, and raked up 5 Ash trees. Tired actually, busted ass to get home as I didn't feel like working the minute I woke up.

Did some more clearance on a driveway in the burn zone again today. We whittle at this one about once a month. Getting tired of breathing soot :P Better schedule next week that does not entail dropping dead burnt trees and brush. Chipping ain't much fun either :P

I did my day job then went and cleaned the mistletoe from a good size alder tree. Also took out a small white birch and ground the stump. Now I'm on grand daughter duty while the parents go bowling. My feet are still hurting.

Spent all day with Amy. Went to the Farmers' Market for breakfast and heard a bit of live music. Got some nice peaches for freezing for the winter. Home Depot shopping, dropped her off for a massage appointment. Went back to Home Depot...Rupert LOVES HD. Washed the car. Picked her up and went for Thai dinner. We finished trimming the two living room windows- a nice improvement. Got a water filter installed. Hanging out. Not a lick of tree work or related work today, for a change. Only reading and writing about it.

Cashiers like him, and give him treats. He gets a lot of attention. He likes to howl when he's happy. I bet you can hear it through a good bit of the store.

Loving wedges more and more everytime I use them. Don't know how I got by without them before!! Felled a large 30"ish dead Cherry and cut the dead tops outta another. Guy wants to leave it and see what will happen.

Then after lunch I knocked out a huge 40" Elm tree. Probably 60' tall, 40" DBH. Been dead for awhile. Right up against a rock fence, next to a road and power lines. Had a lean towards the open field, so everything went good. There was just a small piece of holding wood I couldn't reach with my 20" bar. Was able to pound it over though. It was great because I knocked the wedges all the way in, and stood thinking I would need to double wedge it or cut a little more, when it slowly started tipping over and picking up momentum. Cool sight to see. Going to start boring the center hinge wood though, when I cut bigger trees with smaller bars like that.

Also found a small bat after it hit the ground that had apparently been living inside the tree. Scared me a bit to look up from cutting a piece of wood to see this black thing crawling around on top of the log lol

Spent all day with Amy. Went to the Farmers' Market for breakfast and heard a bit of live music. Got some nice peaches for freezing for the winter. Home Depot shopping, dropped her off for a massage appointment. Went back to Home Depot...Rupert LOVES HD. Washed the car. Picked her up and went for Thai dinner. We finished trimming the two living room windows- a nice improvement. Got a water filter installed. Hanging out. Not a lick of tree work or related work today, for a change. Only reading and writing about it.

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful day!

Just did a tree inventory for one of the biggest malls in the world. Lotta trees!

At home with the little ones today.

Has anyone ever noticed that a 1 year olds tend to have this very peculiar habit of filling a recently changed diaper within 5 minutes of being changed?

That's probably because they weren't finished filling it when you changed it the first time. A proper dump takes a good 5-10 minutes.

Aint that the truth :lol:

Got sleep in today, a luxury I am often refused. Felt good as my hands were hurting something fierce this week. Just a sign I ain't getting any younger. Probably need some bees :D
So I set up the Silvey and started trying my hand at square chisel using information here from you all that use it and sharpen it. SO far so good. Still getting it dialed in though. I think I can do better. Not really used to using a grinder either. Just taking it slow and try it out. I have a cedar coming up I can bury some bars in so we'll see. Be more interesting to see it in some good sized oak, just not any on my calender as yet.
Then as I was buried in some wood, I lost compression on the modded 066. No scoring I can see. I'll have to pull it apart and dig further. Not supposed to have a gasket for more compression, so that might be suspect. Rings could just be tired as well. Had compression at start and then just went dead at the third cut.
What was that sealant you all were using again for the P&Cs?? I can't remember. Might order a new set of rings just for sport anyway, that way they are fresh. First tear it down.
Sharpened one for my other 066 and it seemed to cut good. Straight anyway... Again, I think I can do better :lol:
The dude I bought the two saws from was running .063 chain and bars. If nothing else, I have a ton of chain from him and I'll just switch it over on mine that is currently running .050. Just until I get it all worked out :)
Sharpened a set of chipper blades for tomorrow and cooking some roast chicken. Just a restful day. Might do some data entry tonight.

Stephen, you mention you hands, and in the past some weedwhacking accounts. Have you been using any anti-vibe gloves for equipment without good AV? We ordered some that Che mentioned in a thread she started. They've been holding up well so far. My weedwacker is a super-viber. Add handling firewood to that, and other strain, and it can equal hand pain.

Yes, I wear gloves, though not what Che posted. Just some atlas gloves that help a great deal. I have a feeling that the arthritis that was in my back earlier in life has spread to include my hands. I have cut back severely on any weed eating. About 1/4 of what I used to do. I find that the rope work can agitate it as well. Running saws all day also. Just getting older and benefiting from my passed down genes :lol:

Back