How'd it go today?

I had a good day locked down some work for this fall after the gardens get harvested. Pruned and removed some small stuff, saw a bunch of friends that I have not seen in a while. Good day all around.

Last time I did a cat rescue, the homeowner asked for a card as they were considering having the tree felled. Gave em a card, heard nothing, 2 months later the tree was gone and they didnt even get me to quote.

Go figure. :?

Last year I told a neighbor I would grind a stump for $30.00

Couple of months ago some guy was grinding it with one of the little toy grinders you rent from Home Depot.

I stopped and asked him what he was charging... $100.00

Still haven't figured that one out.

Rained like all get out last night and I bet Stig and his crew got snowed on as well up in the Sequoias ....
Switching around the schedule as the grass is too wet to cut for our regular accounts.
So I went and rigged down an 18" dbh oak over a shed and took out a 5" caliper apricot that passed away recent. Dodged the rain coming in and came home after a nice lunch :) and a visit to the banks.. :D
Now to reschedule some more work and move some removals and prunes forward a couple of days to let shat dry out.

Been a very busy weekend here. Had graduation Saturday at 5 in the afternoon, so I went after helping dad do some trees for half a day. After that went out with some friends and had some good laughs. Slept in Sunday, then went and chilled with a few friends.

Today was my first full day of work with Dad since graduating. Climbed 5 trees total today, all SRT with the rope wrench(love this thing!!) Dad said he has a crap ton of tree work lined up the next 2 weeks including some big prunes and removals. Going to be a very fun and very tiring new few weeks!

It was an ok day a little slow but that happens. I bought some steel plate for a fire pit I am building so that keeps my mind occupied.

Still haven't figured that one out.

I flopped a tree for free at the hot spring place next to my shop, it was dead and overhanging the road that the kids walk to school on. Got the thanks and a box of sweets with the assurance that they would be contacting me when proper tree work was required, which is always the case. So, I hear chainsaws and mosey over there and someone is cutting, the manager standing outside watching. He gives a little sheepish wave and shuffles over and unprovoked tells me that he came by the shop and i wasn't there, ONE TIME! I told him to basically try harder the next time....bunch of bs. :roll:

About 12:30am and house is cooling down again now...nice. Trimmed burning bush hedge in front of home today. it had been a few years since it got done so needed it pretty badly. Been putting off trimming two White Mulberrys in front yard forever...guess I'll take them on next.

Flipping HOT!!! Been over 100 the last week, already! Made a deal with the guy contracting across the street. He's pissed his siding contractor is being a little bitch so he wants to make a point. He's 55 and had open heart surgery not long ago, works about the same pace I like to work right now.
I'll help him side it, tear off, patch and install new, for materials to side my house. All hardi-plank on both houses. Didn't seem like a bad idea at the time, but this 103 crap really makes you wonder!

Had a short day today, trimmed a cedar hedge at a sub-station (fun times right there) and then did a little clearance pruning on a small honey locust. Have a meeting with a business planner this aft., a ball game this evening, and then a meeting with a potential business partner in the evening. Busy night tonight. Right now, just relaxing with the oldest, waiting for the youngest to wake up from his nap while the wife is out. Life is good!

Took Poli-sci test today. Made it halfway to school and was blaming my thick socks cause my feet were so hot......then noticed heater was on....thinking more than the socks were a bit thick this am.

Slayed 3 smallish live oaks 30-40 footers 18-24dbh. Had to climb them and bomb them out around the service, house, green house..............Drop the spars and make firewood. Also dead wooded and doctored up 50 percent of a gray pine (HO told me how far up) The tops weren't too bad anyhow. But the lower laterals were a tangled nasty. I got him to let me take some of the crossed limbs out and more dead than he originally planned. Tree looks better for it :) Be less dead branches on later also as they were just stacked and rubbing layer on layer.
Go back tomorrow and take down one more I will have to rig out over his gazebo and them prune out the mistletoe on one of his blue oaks.
Came home and cooked dinner. Was kind of fun not having to rig everything.

I think my siding career has come to an end today! Sears really did these folks dirty! 40ft high chimney is all dry rotted out! I don't need a knife or a hammer, I can literally poke my finger through the 7/16" plywood with little effort. All the supporting 2x4's are rotted out, it's done. I'll talk to the boss in the am, but he's going to need a crew to rebuild this in a timely manner. I'm not the guy for this right now!

I was trying to sell Willie my 5 mile secret, but he wasn't in a buying mood.
I do agree Burnham, the weather in the pnw was pretty pleasant. The little rain showers were nothing compared to our downpours and fireworks show!

Wouldn't know about that, Greg...don't live in Portland, and never was much of a wack job...8)

Maybe that's why you see bumper stickers around here that say "Keep Portland Wierd".:|:

Anyway, y'all stay right where you are...it rains all the time here and is a boring place to live. Scenery sucks.

:)

Last edited:
Back