How'd it go today?

And better than 2 fold-up tables, too. Planning to do some serious furniture shopping tomorrow or next weekend.

Lol.

I went on a memorial ride for a friend who passed away one year ago today. It was a gorgeous day up here. Everything's greener than green and it was about 28c today without a hint of humidity. These are the days that net the Okanagan it's reputation.

My friend was 97 when she passed almost 98 and of perfectly sound mind, sharp as a whip. Her body though was done. She was ready to go.

Today we road out from her place about 2hrs up to a lookout where her and her husbands ashes are buried. From there you can see an amazing distance around here, out to the Monashee to the east with big mountains and small glaciers, to down Kalamalka Lake('lake of many colors' it has a limestone bottom) and Okanagan lake(huge) and swan lake to the south and west. We saw many, many different types of birds, lots of wraptors/birds of prey. Often bears are present but it's early for them still.

One of those days that makes you glad to be alive, basking in nature.

Hot, flat frigging hot! Didn't really want to do jack! Went to Radio Shack to get a couple of project kits to keep my boy and the nephew busy. Damn if I didn't pick up some things to re-spark my interest in HAM radio some. Hey, it's fathers day weekend right? Got the SU-1 unit to put in my VX-7R, this adds an altimeter and barometric pressure to my walkie talkie, nice for storm chasing and being a weather nut like I am. Picked up some more connectors so I can use a switch box and have the antenna in the house and the garage, wife be willing!
Went to a local race track at the request of one of the wifes friends. Her boyfriend proposed to her at intermission. It was interesting to say the least! Seems like a nice enough guy, for someone that has done hard time! She is more professional, and a bit older, than my wife!
OK, everyone looks at me, then my wife and asks her "WTF are you doing with him?" or "WTF is she doing with you?" This gal is even more mellow than my wife, she lives in a mostly retired community! Not only is this guy covered in ink, he has three tears tatted under his right eye. Maybe I have the meaning wrong, maybe not, but I'm interested in being able to sit down and have a chat with him for sure!

Yeah I know, just have a prick that I seem to run into all the time Erik. Used to be on CB and was king shat in his mind on that, now he's been a ham 20 years been there done that and is absolutely intent upon telling me/you/everyone about it. Just a real creep and it seems no matter where I go, he's there. It's like I have my own old geezer from QRZ that is stalking me! 2m, 6m, 10m, he's all over me!
Kinda kills the fun.

I've tried, he's just a braggart, he loves to tell people he would build all the 2m beams around here, he has the answers to EVERY problem with a repeater, and calls the people running it idiots, then when I get a QSO going he comes in and tells about how bad an operator I was on CB. Real creep, I tell ya!
He used to be best buds with a guy that is known as "Peckerwood", he's running 10kw through stacked beams now on CB, he got out classed and is bitter.
I beat him in a shoot out one night, 500w with a beam on his base, 1kw in my mobile, he's never let that go, and probably never will!
We are only about 10 miles away from each other, he's got the gear that it's not hard for him to find where I am, he was honestly shocked to find out I'd passed the exam! He just thinks he's that smart!
My general and a base would make things different, but money, lack of interest, and dealing with a prick, that is an extra now, kinda kills the fun. I get on the local repeaters, he's not around or talking, BAM! He's right in the middle of it. Get on Skywarn, BAM! Here's Rick again! Get a good contact on 10m, nope! Here comes Rick, gotta squash me and take the contact himself.
No ignoring this guy, it's like he's on a mission! He's the ham you want to put a pin in the coax type!

I've known several; trust me, after ignoring (and I mean REALLY ignoring, a complete lack of acknowledging he's even there) him long enough... problem solved.

NeTree you are correct, not always that easy to ignore though. Treating people like you would like to be treated can really be challenging with certain type folks!
elg

Our family cat had been missing for a month. Some folks from a few hundred yards down the road heard a cat crying from a tree top since thursday and couldnt see him. They got ahold of me this morning to come get this cat down. It was my childrens cat. They were in tears of joy as was my wife.

rileylost.jpg

The folks that found him were thanking me up and down telling me how grateful to me they were..... Im like "Huh? Im the grateful one here. You folks owe me nothing. Im the one who owes you guys a thank you"

Whats funny is this......a few nights ago I got a call from a desperate woman who had a cat in the top of a tree for 4 days in a 92 degree heat wave. Hot wind blowin the whole time. She tried calling a lot of tree companies in her area and none had the time of day to get her cat down. She figured he was going to die of dehydration soon. So, I drove an hour and fifteen minutes and got the cat down. The whole neighborhood was there to watch. I didnt charge her. I told her I just wanted to help. She was touched and in tears over the gesture. Now, skip forward a few days and after a month of my cat being gone in farm/woodland country, my cat was returned to me in the same manor, several days in a tree. Is that odd or what?

Cats have some funny quirks. My shop cat, I mean we were tight, but sometimes I would run into him quite a ways away when on my bike, him being on the prowl for his girlfriends. I worried about the roads he had to cross and cars. He didn't want to know about me then, give the maybe we have met somewhere look. I'd shout at him to go home and he would blow me off. What can ya do....?

I dont look at it as a bad thing. I just mean its bizarre how I did something nice for some folks, and they got to have their house pet back, and a few short days later, i get to have my house pet back with the same storyline. Its kool I suppose.

You shall be rewarded by your kindness in the future. As a pet owner who has climbed 3 trees to save 3 cats from them self's I know it will come around for you.
Thanks
elg

Back