How'd it go today?

I stuck mine yesterday in a client's front yard (after pulling the tree off his house). Only took about 45 minutes in the rain to get out. Thankfully I have four outriggers so I can lift the entire truck off the ground. But the boards and grass were so slick that I couldn't get any forward momentum. Ended up getting a bit of a pull from an F250 which was just enough to get me rolling.

I can lift the front and rear just by swinging the boom forward overcenter. Someone on here, quite a regular T'houser mentioned that awhile back.

Lol.

Alturna mats help give a little traction..
whistle-male-smiley-whistle-smiley-emoticon-000698-facebook.gif

Just got home, helluva day climbing,cutting,bidding,running around. bouncing from winter park, winter springs, oviedo,and all over Seminole county. Tomorrow, Maitland, winter park,maybe winter garden. Gotta love it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aJprEyXMrIk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Removed an understory Doug-fir with that BMS Belay Spool that I'd mentioned (canopy mounted lowering device that can have the rope work both ways). This tree had lost its top at least once and had super long branches, most at least 30' long on a 70' tall tree, and all on about 120 degrees toward the house/ sun exposure. The Belay Spool works pretty well for $110, is compact, and is heavy duty enough for conifers (600 pound wwl, so it matches up to 1/2" ropes' wwl pretty well). Seems to be a good tool for a small crew. The climber can cut and lower pieces easily. Groundie can untie and process while climber uses other end, or midline attachment to rig and cut the next piece. I imagine we lowered 40 limbs before switching to block-n-porty for catching the top. A little different day. Interesting.

Just got home, helluva day climbing,cutting,bidding,running around. bouncing from winter park, winter springs, oviedo,and all over Seminole county. Tomorrow, Maitland, winter park,maybe winter garden. Gotta love it.

Isn't Winter Park in Orange County? Man, I don't envy you, the traffic getting to Winter Garden is horrible.

Gigi, the Maitland Blvd extension and the new beltway get you halfway there without any stoplights. It's still a long haul though. I think I clocked it at about 45 miles.

I can lift the front and rear just by swinging the boom forward overcenter. Someone on here, quite a regular T'houser mentioned that awhile back.

Lol.

I use a similar trick to get more traction in my log truck, hang the grapple over the back, sometimes with a big log in....

Lots more traction, if it doesnt just sink up to the axle...

Gigi, yep winter park is Orange county,After I was done there I was all over seminole.Winter garden is closer to my house so that job is monday.Paul thanks.

Hardest day I've had for a while. Four fairly tall Casuarinas, or She Oaks around here.

Nice trees, I like them. They sound great when the wind's blowing but not really suited to backyards. Got them down and chipped, not much access as usual so a lot of dragging. Steep driveway but I got down.

Going back for the logs on Monday, it's good firewood. Not a bad day.

Took down a large Pin Oak today, about 60 to 70 feet tall, at least a 34in DBH. I did all but the two upper limbs of the tree, since it had no real top and these were more out to the side, and I'm not great at those types yet. I could have done it, but Dad knew he could do it in a timely manner, so thats how we did it. I frog walked up and set up a block and a good TIP, stripped the tree down from my TIP to the ground, and let Dad finish out the rest. All in all, we had it down in about 4 hours, plus another hour or so to cut it and load it.

Good deal, Adrian. Keep practicing and keep pushing your comfort level as you tackle bigger and more difficult jobs. And remember it's just like eating an elephant. Do you know how to eat an elephant? One bite at a time. :D

Collected logs off three jobs this morning and then I took down two decent size partially uprooted oaks this afternoon. Luckily they had a good ground crew and a nice Kubota articulating loader, there was a messload of wood. I took some of the wood and finished off the load in my trailer as well. I'm really digging this setup for storm work.

Next week I need to focus on collections. Most of my guys will always go out of their way to make sure I get paid anyway, but my receivables pile is getting pretty thick. As soon as everybody pays me I'll be able to knock a big hole in that outstanding credit card balance from my surgery in December.

Butch, I'm working tomorrow (Sunday) as well, I have palms to trim at a bank and a medical plaza.

We've been working any Saturday we can here Butch. And if I'm not working for Dad, I'm working for someone cutting firewood and just general saw work. I'm actually going out there tomorrow for awhile, at least 4 hours, more likely something like 6.

Only Saturdays I don't work only involve rain, snow and soccer I believe.

Awesome day today!
Took down 3 canyon live oaks, one with a limb over a office shack. Two were storm thrown and we had the other guyed up to make it though the storms. Rigged the limb down (about 8" and almost 40 foot long) then flopped the tree with some rope assistance in between two baby cedar and threaded the needle with the curve of the lean...
Staged the brush and wood for the HO to finish. Smallest tree was 18" DBH and 45 foot high... Largest was 65 foot tall 24" dbh. Some really nice wood if someone had a mill. Solid.
Then went down the street and took a broken top off the front of a two story house (may have been 3 as the attic has the pitch and I believe a couple rooms in it) from a pretty black oak. Poor codom on the central leader and it split off. I took the other side out also as compromised as it was and took it back to a couple of limbs near the bottom of the leader. See if another leader next to it will fill out some. I will get to keep an eye on it for the compartmentalizing also :)
Lady scheduled a prune for her canyon live oak out front ( a real beauty :D ) (the tree people :lol: )
The black oak had a great structure fun climb. Maybe 50 foot high. Body thrust-ed up into the tree at about 20 feet and then just went it ALT and natural crotch.. I was able to pretty much flop everything by just working my way out to the limbs and directing them with the hinge. Just a real sweet couple of hours... took longer to clean it all up than to put it on the ground :lol:
And Stehansen....
I picked up some manzanita for you... :D
We can go pick up the Locust when you are here :)

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2
Back