How'd it go today?

Some beautiful wood there.

Kinda sucky day today. Ive been working on a prototype of an ascender that goes up and down and can support a load of 6200 lbs on a rope. I have put a fair amount of time and thought into it but today we knocked it on the head as there are just too many problems arising that could effect safety. Funny how things you never even considered can pop up and screw up a whole design.

Oh well back to the drawing board, Dave (my machinist) has another idea which may work but I was really fond of my design:cry:

Looks like I should be having a busy couple weeks, anyway. Now that most of the immediate storm damage is cleaned up, the calls are predominantly removals of partially uprooted trees. I'm seeing more and more damage in my travels. The timing couldn't have been worse, most of our trees hold up to hurricane force winds later in the season but everything just flushed with new spring growth in the last week or two.

Looks like I should be having a busy couple weeks, anyway. Now that most of the immediate storm damage is cleaned up, the calls are predominantly removals of partially uprooted trees. I'm seeing more and more damage in my travels. The timing couldn't have been worse, most of our trees hold up to hurricane force winds later in the season but everything just flushed with new spring growth in the last week or two.

I'm booked out too, just keeps coming in.I'm driving all over hell, cutting crap and curb stacking for Prentice loaders to come get it. Another late one tonight and probably tomorrow.

Worked on the mower deck for the mini for a while, lots of work, the guy that worked on it before was a bigger hack than I am, lots of work!
Cleaned the garage up some after that. My wife came out and helped a bit, which was cool.
It got late, she went in, I pushed on.
I was walking and my legs just went out from under me, did a total face plant, I've no idea how but my arm saved me from splitting my nose from my forehead on the bucket of the mini.
Couldn't move at all.
I know I don't show her any where the appreciation she deserves, but man do I have a good wife! She heard me, picked my sorry ass up and helped me in the house.
I guess I just needed to say, regardless of how much I may bitch about marriage, it's work to make it work, to find the right one, it's so worth it!

Sad it broke Willy... That one piece in the first pic was 1/4 of the base of the plant. It was laid out like it was stepped in the middle of by snow load. It sat right on a street front, corner of the guys yard :( I've been admiring that manzanita for 5 years. I hope Steve can find some turnings or carvings in the pieces I was able to save.

That is some finelooking Manzanita; Stephen.

I spent saturday at my new neighbour's place, grinding a million little sumps from all the trees and scrubs we felled last year.

Richard had traded my neighbour the use of his stumpgrinder for a butchered lamb.:D

I got the job of running it. Then the neighbours are spending part of easter helping me whitewash my house.

That is how things are done among country folks around here.:lol:

That's a good deal, Stig. I help my neighbors with their pruning, and the occasional tree removal, and Amy and I get our hair cut (she's a hair stylist), get cow bones for the dog and bone broth (which I have recently heard from a nutritionist is great for our joints), and a bit of tractor work.

I installed a new water softener today .I'd been having problems with it and the iron filter so out with old in with the new .

Ran around and did estimates all day... Whew... I am tired from just running about.
Took Levi with me and listened to him practice his sales pitch on customers... :lol:
When he goes up "somedays Sundays I will get to do consults and estimates" as he puts it.
:lol:

I then had a couple estimates near our house after 12 so I dropped Levi off and took Lilly as she felt quite put out she did not get to go this morning.
Landed a good bunch of work and one kind of interesting job... Up righting a large thrown Manzanita. HO wants to try and save it. So we will use mechanical advantage to pull it back up right and then guy it and prop it up. Mulch the base and see what happens.. I doubt it will live, but HO wants to give it a shot and is willing to pay for the endeavor. Should make for some good pics I hope :)

Just another busy day,cut up the blown top out of a laurel oak and removed the 25' spar left in maitland,ran into Brian at the parts store in casselberry,and went to help grind a stump.

Tipped the chips from Saturdays job, went back and blocked the logs and brought them home. Some good firewood for next year, I don't get much good wood around here these days.

Split a bit of it, then worked on a couple of saws for a while. Sharpened a few chains I wrecked last week and today cutting stumps to ground level.

Got paid, plus got another little job next door. Not a bad day.8)

Tom hauled out the last of a huge pile of ash firewood Saturday .He must have had 15 cords in a big heap .He left me around 4 cords of red oak to replace some he had borrowed last year .I'll take oak to ash any day .

Well it worked out well for him .The firewood payed the bills during the winter lack of tree work which is just now coming into season .

More removals today. Started with one for my buddy Dave about 3 blocks from my house. His customer had a big oak split out, half was on the fenceline and hung up in the power pole (the power company cleared their line) and the other half was over the house. Finished that by 11:30 then did a big oak removal I sold. Front yard, wide open, almost 4' diameter trunk but half the top was gone. Had the brush chipped and everything on the ground in about 2 hours. Spent another 3 hours loading my trailer by myself (chipper guy had to go) and I missed the dump by 30 minutes. I still have a quarter load of limb wood on the ground as well but the city may pick that up tomorrow.

Sold two more removals for neighbors as well.

Today didn't go too bad, two 'lil live oaks. My shoulder was aching, but not too bad.

So, where is everyone? It seems like every since Ipowerweb bitched at us about usage, posting has dropped way off. Sup wid DAT???

100 free posts for whomever starts the next substantial thread! :lol:

Not much today. Finished the taxes and mailed them off .

I had good intentions of assembling a Mac 805 I'm resurecting but never got around to it .

Too wet to log, and tree work isnt taking off just yet in my area. Im wheeling concrete and carrying cinder blocks for a buddy to pass the time.

Did a pine fell for a friend Sunday swung in to see the champion Oak in Lacrosse and found myself mad at the lack of quality in the recent cuts. left some flowers as the GF had no need for them. Today i removed a lightning struck Oak a raintree and pruned a batch of palms. Power co. cancelled me for a disconnect as they are busy elsewhere for the am with the storms down south. Much to do schedule wise so this puts me out or should I say some other client and I hate not sticking to a schedule.
IMAG0125.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

Starting my new job with State Parks tomorrow morning. Should be interesting to see what dead or rotten things they have lined up, and if it will be felling, bucket, or climbing.

Erik and I pruned all day in the rain today. Vine maple, Japanese maple, 10 apples, 5 flowering plums, 4 crabapples, 2 weeping cherries. I'm done squeezing hand pruners for the week, thankfully.

Back