How'd it go today?

How did he track you down, Al?
It's kind of like a "network " sort of like hotsaws etc .Pretty soon you know a lot of people .Actually it was second hand by way of a retired master chief petty officer who lives in the Hawalian islands .I see him about every 5-6 years . You have to remember the U-boats only used to make up about 2 percent of the naval forces ,hence a small brotherhood .

Darin, welcome to my life:) I have been slammed busy for at least 3 months. Its been great financially but I worked 7 days a week for about 6 weeks, that gets old. Now Im dealing with all the equipment breakdowns. I just keep thinking how nice it will be come winter to actually have some money in the bank and not to swet the bills....

FWIW I just hired another guy.....

Good deal on the hire, Paul. What happened to the 17?

August was far nicer to me than July, tree work sure is a roller coaster, but I kinda like it.

nothing big, just normal wear an tear, drum cracked so we welded it. I needed to pull off all the belts and pull the access plates off of the side of the drum so I can clean out all the dust that somehow accumulates in there so I can really balance it. Hydraulic feed motor started leaking pretty bad and then finally on thursday that tturbo seal let go and started sucking oil, gotta find the seals and bearings for it. Got the 2400 back together yesterday and chipped with it. Chipped OK other than the belt or clutch sqauling, belts were loose when I got it so we ttightened them up pretty good but maybe the belt is glazed, Ill get some of that stuff that makes the belt tacky to see if it is the clutch and replace if necessary.

On a positive note I thank my lucky stars that the 17 held up all through all that storm work and waited till I had a replacement chipper till it needed a rest

I'm not going to get rich with all this storm work but hopefully I can catch up on what I owe our Uncle.

So far so good today ....
Landed a peach of a multiple tree job..
TD a canyon live oak leaning at a house..
TD a dead CA black oak over the motor home parking.
Trim two CA black oaks off the house.
Remove one codom leaning toward the house on a canton live oak. :D
Then we are talking continuing his clearing in the rear of the property over the winter for a terracing project :)

Now off to pick up the DR and get the welder onto the next little project ;)

Attachments

• DSC_0464.JPG
    DSC_0464.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0468.JPG
    DSC_0468.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0467.JPG
    DSC_0467.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0466.JPG
    DSC_0466.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0465.JPG
    DSC_0465.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Chillin and swillin now.. Hit a small dead wood and lift pondo job today that I had scheduled for an easy Sat job. Forgot I was supposed to be at soccer games:|:
Got paid for half my day rate for one hours work :D Then went to an estimate. Stopped by a clients place near there (all three of these were within 2 blocks of each other :lol: ) and took a stub off a tree right quick from the ground. Then Stopped at the other house of the first clients and checked on some mistletoe we are trying to control over there (5mins on our way home) Ran into Katy and got some kisses and left her some money to put in the bank.. Then took Lilly home as she was having one of those days.
Pretty nice damn day... :)

Today I made a discovery on my truck. The rope on the material handler is attached to the drum with a cap and bolt. Today is the first time I've ever had the rope spooled all the way out (damn, it's slow!) and I discovered that the bolt was loose. Not just a little loose, but 'a quarter turn from falling out' loose. The threaded hole was corroded so it wouldn't screw in until I soaked it with PB Blaster and worked it back and forth as I threaded it in. It only takes a few turns on the drum for the line to lock down anyway but I'm glad it's securely attached now.

seems like that fellow you had look at your lift a while back would have come across something like that.

Actually my Altec guy mentioned it when he did the inspection but didn't act like it was a big deal and wound the rope back up without tightening the bolt. The way the drum is designed combined with the eye splice on the end of the rope there's little to no chance of it slipping unless the rope is let all the way out. Today was the first time I've had it all the way out so I stopped and looked at it.

Yep, good catch. I went and signed papers at the title company this morning and my son GF and kid stopped by a little while ago and I took them to a late lunch.

Should be signing some papers myself tomorrow. I'm busier then hell prepping for a move. Possible possession date of Dec.1st now.:D

It's a farm, they want some time to move. And they need to find somewhere to move. There was a chance that it wasn't going to happen until the spring.

Congrats Justin. Sucks to move in the winter. maybe the snow will hold off for you.

Yah, a winter move will suck bigtime here. But we're pretty stoked, we still have to finalize the deal on our one rental that we've sold to make this all happen. None of the papers are signed yet, but everything should be in place by the end of this week or early next week. It could still all fall apart, but I'm not thinking it will. When everything is signed up tight, I'll produce the pics.

Back