How'd it go today?

today had a crane job and after 6 hrs on hooks started feeling dizzy and puking.thankfully the crane operator was doing the work for free as a learning experience

I've been screwed up the last couple of days. I had Bubba yesterday am then rain set in, so not much I could do.
Got a call about a '92 Dodge 3/4 ton making noise in the rearend. I thought it was a U-joint, but the noise was really bad and they were all tight. I made plans to tear into it this am.
Left there, came home and a migrane kicked in. Just hard core! The muscles in my shoulders just locked up and pain shot up my neck. I hoped it was the weather and took a Hydrocodone.
Didn't sleep much last night. Got up this am sicker than a dog. Dry heaves for twenty min.
Went and worked on the Dodge, it was jus a busted u-joint, easy fix. But there wasn't more than a cup and a half of oil in the rear end? Pulled to cover to check, all was well, buttoned it up and filled it with oil.
Came home and slept for four hours. Neck still hurts like hell!

Oh Lawdy,mid night repairs .Old Tom blew the hydraulic feed pump on his chipper today .Trip to Indiana for the parts then a trip out here to tap out the bolt holes on his pulley and remount to the pump .

He left a few minutes ago and should be ready to roll in the morning .

Al, Nice load. FWIW you can get the whole cord on by closing the tailgate, tossing the bed almost level full, stacking wood around the edge of the bed cab high (ends hanging off the rails and angled down into the bed) then toss the center rounded full.

Go Steve Go!

I'm slowing up a bit now that its getting hotter. I have vacations planned as it is a typical slow time.

Oh Lawdy,mid night repairs .Old Tom blew the hydraulic feed pump on his chipper today .Trip to Indiana for the parts then a trip out here to tap out the bolt holes on his pulley and remount to the pump .

He left a few minutes ago and should be ready to roll in the morning .

Al, you are such a good friend!

To rub salt in the wound though ,poor old Tom I imagine got rained out today .After he drove over half the state in search of parts .

We did need rain though,it's been awfully dry . The corn is in tassle and without proper moisture it won't germinate and all the farmer would get is a bunch of cobs with no kernals . Not much profit in that stuff .

That would be bad,no feed stocks for whiskey and no grits for those so inclined to eat them .On the later someone else can have my share .:lol:

Today is wet. Been raining since 11 or so. Hasn't stopped at all.

So today we've just been running around, making stops, etc. I spliced up a tail real quick, and then it was off to a training session we had set up with a landscape crew. Their part of a corporation or something that goes around to apartment complexes doing tree work and other maintenance things. We chipped a bunch of brush for them, and became friends with the boss. We just came in and showed them some knots and equipment, along with Gerry's DVD set(which, by the way, they became sucked into!! They loved them!!)

Only had a short time and couldn't actually climb since the rain. But their based out of Nashville, so after talking a bit, it seems a weekend trip down there one weekend is in our future. A one or two day training session.

Felt a little better this am. Got up and when I bent over to turn on the shower my hip popped in place!
Then when I was washing my hair I shrugged my shoulders andlooked down, something funny like that and had a large "POP" in my neck! Slowly feeling better after that!
Worked on the tractor again today, got it all buttoned up and running. Then fought with the customer over the bill:evil:

Blew out a top on a Pondo today, fell the remining trunk. Chipped her up and was done for the day at 11:30....Beat the heat.

Attachments

• DSC00402.JPG
    DSC00402.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 5
Very dangerous, careful, tiring day. Pines that had been topped before, and grew right up around the wires on both sides. Should have been removed long ago. All kinds of stuff tangled in and above the wires. Couldn't get any machines to where we were so it was climbing, pruners & rigging all day. Brain and body are both worn out, very challenging. One more to rig out tomorrow then just finish up on the ground work (Steep hill covered with rhododendron surrounding pond.)

Greg, those look almost identical to our Southern Yellow pine (or slash pine). Very heavy wood compared to most other pines, and sappy. It's our main lumber wood in these parts.

I killed 4 pines this morning (two were tiny), trimmed 3 palms and then trimmed an oak away from a house.

Then this afternoon I rented a new storage/ parking space for my bucket truck. I'm tired of the problems at my old place. My only regret about the new place is that there's no shade. It's a half mile further away but a friend of mine parks his trucks there and he hasn't had any problems in 5 years.

Dave, sounds tough. Don't push it too hard around those wires. :)

Thanks Skwerl, I make the guys take extra breaks on these kind of days just to keep our heads all together in the same place.
Are your Southern Yellow Pines the same as what they call "Bull Pines"
in Texas?

Tiss for sure Skwerl. Sappy and heavy.Seems if I remember right those Yellow pines are brittle ?

Not really, Greg. They hinge very well and can hang on/ peel with a vengeance if you don't get your cut finished cleanly. Thick bark also.

Dave, I think they are the same as the big pines in Butch's area, Louisiana. If those are the same as your Texas Bull pines, then yes.

Oh, great picture by the way. I love throwing big tops. 8)

Talk about a bad day, I had a limb swing into me and swipe my hardhat and glasses. Found the hardhat... the glasses are long gonje, I figure. Made an appointment at LensCrafters for tomorrow to get a replacement pair, as the "spares" I had have apparantly gone MIA as well.

On the bright side, I must be pretty damn good; took down an 80 foot oak from a 45 foot truck, scored zero damage, and did all but the first two limbs practically blind. :lol:

Some pics will be in the work pics thread.

Back