How'd it go today?

Worked with my bro this morning, got out early so I got some stuff done. Figured I'd throw a nice 2nd coat of wax on the rig, because I am obsessed with trying to keep this truck for the long haul.

Also, lately I have been getting tired of loading up small things like rakes and such into the truck every morning. I was trying to reinvent the wheel when it hit me! Threw some rope through this screen, tied 2 double over hand knots and Walla! Now the rakes, shovel, and fork are always loaded up ready to go. One less thing to forget in the morning.

I am trying to set my truck up so the only thing to load in the morning is the mini skid, and the saws, sometimes though I lock the saws in the chipper infeed. Few more odds and ends and it'll be perfect.

Attachments

• 7-9-08 001.jpg
    7-9-08 001.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 5
  • 7-9-08 002.jpg
    7-9-08 002.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 5
I've worked with several folks who have a piece of 4" or 6" pvc pipe bolted upright somewhere on the chipper frame to hold rakes. It works great as long as the handles don't hang down too low under the chipper and get broken off on bumps in the road.

I've thought about that. I had one set in place at one point and decided against it for some reason, it didn't want to mount nicely anywhere.

This is pretty much the same deal, the bottem of the handles don't hang down any further than the axle, or the tongue jack.

Bagged my 7th cat in a tree in the last 11 days... I've paid for rent and arborist liability this month just going after cats.

Did some cabling and stuff too. Gonna get an iPhone Friday.

skheinz57

started a mulch pile
washed a snake in a bird house
then stood in the house and watched it towel dry

Hot today but second day on this three day job. I still cant get over $1000.00 for a weed eating job. Tomarrow we finish the weed eating and start limbing and brushing, chipper involved. Should be a good money day and he pays on completion. Checks hit the door today (4) and was nice to see. The crew will be happy with the payroll this week. Heck I am too. Nice deposits for last month and this month is looking promising. Phone is still ringing with work. and my schedule book says I have plenty into august (gotta love the monthly clients) :) Three new tree jobs this month, Bull Pines though. They suck..... LOL. There are worse trees though so I have to count my blessings.. Time to eat and my son wants my full attention till bed time.. toodles ....

Last edited:
BrendonV, you have one of the nicer rigs I've seen. I'd like to do that with an even smaller truck someday if I ever go it alone.

jp:D

Brendon, will those handles and whatknot chafe the paint? Seems that would be a nogo!

On a side note, I've paid off the rest of the bills for the month and the gas bill (due on the 29th). Got another wad of money on the way. I've been working towards getting my monthy bills paid off day earlier and earlier in the month (never late on anything, just getting all the bills paid earlier). I'd like to get to the point where I'm a month ahead on everything including the fuel.

I had to take a physical for my life insurance policy a few weeks ago. We got the results today. I have a number of elevated readings including cholesterol which is 264. I am not certain what it will mean for the insurance but I am certain that under my wife's supervision my diet is about ready to change. I guess I knew this would happen at some point, I just hoped I could abuse fatty foods a little bit longer.

LOooonng day, but fun, and good $

Left the house before 7, picked up Mickey, a darn good climber, checked out a possible dump site, went to where we'd left the chip truck (job 1/2 done) decided no need to dump...drove downtown and picked up a laborer (his 2nd day, good hand), met the crew in West Seattle for a 4 trunked dead pine removal (tons of great pics and videos will follow eventually (had 3 guys was able to shoot a lot) GRCS work...finished the tree myself....sent the crew to the finish the previous job (removing a big apple, 2 pines and a young redwood)
I went to two jobs to grind 6 stumps with my little Alpine Magnum (4550 total, less $50 worth of ruined teeth- 2.5 hours work time!) Met the crew at 5:20....they were tired, so I did the redwood...prolly took me 15 minutes....dropped off the laborer, met Mickey at home, we went to a nearby dumpsite, emptied the truck (2nd load of the day) drove him home, did 2 bids, and walked in the door at 8:30....

called another craiglist firewood person..as there was still 3/4 cord of wood to pick up--- 2 other parties had picked up 3 p/u loads....

I'd had to drop my price on that job to meet a low bid...and the other job was low as well...but who's complaining....a $3000 day...payroll about $900......

This old man is bushed...and I have already done a bit of editing on the pine photos...now to check the videos...and the videos of grinding a 24 inch holly stump with fresh teeth on the AM, boy it's dang fast till the teeth dull!!!

Brendon, will those handles and whatknot chafe the paint? Seems that would be a nogo!

They might....:/:

Laugh it up brother. There's nothing wrong in my eyes keeping your new shit/ expensive shit looking as new as possible. A little simple green, a power washer, and elbow grease goes a long way. It feels great when customers comment on the condition of your equipment, which happens alot. I worked 3 years for some one whose stuff looked like it came out of the dump, the lack of respect from people was amazing. I think they just thought we were working for the nights booze, I told myself going into this image is important-so I keep my end of the deal.

Brendov, from the pix of your chipper it seems like you could easily weld some vertical pipes to hold the rake, shovel, broom onto the tongue of the chipper. Sure would look cleaner than that rope.

I've got retread radials on the back of my truck, 11/22.5, and they ride smoother than the heavy tread tires on the old bucket. One has a pretty good gouge in the sidewall. I hope they last another year, already spent too much money this year.

I'm starting to feel inadaquate again. I always thought the tires looked kind of skinny.

Worked on our condiminium job and blew a hose in the lower boom about 12:30. Don't have it fixed yet. I have a new hose but I'm not sure it was the one that was leaking but it looked pretty beat up so I'm replacing it. I guess we'll see when we get it together.

Bagged my 7th cat in a tree in the last 11 days... I've paid for rent and arborist liability this month just going after cats.

Did some cabling and stuff too. Gonna get an iPhone Friday.

Is the price of fur back up? Whatcha getting for a cat hide in the Carolinas?

:P

I keep my stuff quite spotless too. It's just how I am, and yes for me the equipment was alot of dough to shell out so I like to keep it up for myself and for company image. Today my new stumpgrinder and splitter are arriving I think they're pulling in right now!

Yah it's a little breezy here so far but nothing ridiculous. New grinder and splitter are here. I'll get some pics later today as I'm setting things up. Y'all have seen some pics awhile back of the grinder set-up I went with. I'll give ya a hint Ed(Thor's Hammer) and Dave (TNTree) may have been involved, and it may be propelled by a mini-skid.:/:

One of the first few out here in north america. I have no idea as to Dave's intention on the future of these machines, quite possibly he's waiting for feedback from the first few out to see if it's a worthwhile venture. I've got it hooked up and started it, and I'm gonna grind a stump in my own yard here a little later this afternoon. Pictures will come...........

The wind blasted us here the last couple of hours two calls so far. :)

squish, I just saw the 5 o clock news, looks like you got POUNDED. boats loose in the lake, campgrounds being evacuated etc. go make some money! work safe!!

Back