How'd it go today?

turkey/bear hunting this morn. got 1 to answer but he was a no show. kinda lazy bum rest of the day

under bid a no cleanup, used brians "dead head" trick (i thought i could cut and throw the whole tree from the bucket) and it saved the day. didnt bring climbing gear but i did throw a short piece of line in the bucket just for a job like this:)

What is my 'dead head trick'?

Sorry, my mind isn't working well today. I had to leave the job after lunch after throwing up and almost crapping my pants. I think I got most of that bad stuff out of me and I'm feeling a bit better, but still a little green and fuzzy.

I slept in, got up at 8:30 and went to get a contract signed.

I met a competitor/friend at another job I had to bid, seeing if he wanted to climb it. He said he thought he'd be fine for the climb, I bid the job and as far as I know I got it, another 2 days of work.

Then I went and flopped the trees for the guy I met at the gun shop yesterday. Sadly the dude decided he wanted to drop another tree at the head of the lay that had 2 oaks laid all amongst it. It was a straightforward gum, slight back lean, the main problem was all the chit around its base. After 20 minutes of cutting I had me a hole to sit in and fell the tree. 3 hours of work for $250 bucks. He was a nice enough fellow, even offered me a bottle of water (ended up drinking five before I left).

After that I swung by Lowes for an eternity, ran a couple more errands and to home I went.

Tomorrow afternoon I have to drive 45 minutes to chip 11 cedars with the mini, should take about an hour to an hour and a half, chips stay on site.

I don't see much studying happening in that schedule, Carl... :P

jp:D

What is my 'dead head trick'?

I beleive he would be referring to rigging smaller pieces off to the tree itself to then cut or lift them out of the way afterwards. I would assume Willie is just doing this with small pieces as his truck(like mine) isn't a material handler.

Oh yah hope you're feeling better ya 'deadhead' Brian.:P

Today I wrecked out a nice fir and cleaned it all up along with a small on the spot job for a neighbor ate up the day. Atleast a couple more days this week of city/municipal work for the same place that I did the street tree pruning and chipping for. 8)

I just love popping big tops off of fir trees it's fun. The mini has allowed me to go bigger and bigger. I can see the next natural progression is going to have a proper chip truck and dedicated rear mount bucket. Rear mount bucket = superior positioning/reach. Dedicated chip only truck = ability to haul a bigger chipper.

Mo power, bigger, bigger, bigger!!!!

Well my day sucked but at least I didn't almost crap my pants. I worked for people that wouldn't be happy unless I tortured their perfectly good trees. I tried to teach and bend them to my way of thinking to no avail. I still do not understand what the problem was with their oak tree that they wanted so many good branches removed entirely. I subordinated one of them after they left and I bet they call me back to remove it. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have trees.

2nd GRCS came today......and it was my wifes birthday. No it wasn't her present.......but it might be biznesstime:D:D:D
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kHOSEcmZvG8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kHOSEcmZvG8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Fun here in Cali today. Got rear-ended by a Lexus on the 99 today in Fresno. Bastard hit me, moved into the center lane then got smacked by an F550 hauling a skid loader. Damage!

subbed for my friends company again today, might continue the monday tuesday arrangement, making a good wage, working hard but its a fair tradeoff.

Tomorrow I get to build a stake and wire structure to begin the espalier of an apple tree then home to do a design and 2 estimates.

yes brian what squishy said, choke a top off onto itself, then i chunked them apart while they were hanging

G'day tree folk!!

I know its been awhile, but its great to be back, even if on a "part time" basis..

I had this booked in for this afternoon so i have a little while to catch up..

Ill start with today and work backwards..

I was going to (for the very first time) rent out the bucket today, i delivered it to my mate and his painter buddy, but dident trust them and opperated it for them myself..

Got the job done, an early day and a huge coffee!!

I was tring to hunt down a shot of my billboard but good to see my filing is as bad as ever..lol..

HOWDY lads! Good to read you all last nite, still as crazey as ever around here is sooo good to see.. I have missed the place heaps, the truth is i just got busy!

I made a concious decision to use my obsessive cumpulsive dissorders to some good use,
"if i put the same time into my business that i put into the TH, i should be rich in 4 months!"

4 months later i can sit here and say im not rich but can afford to take a few days off with the kids here and there.

I picked up all the council work in this massive district, Paul was very helpfull in crossing the T's in a new "tree report" i put together for the National Parks and Wildlife Service, i all but gave them the flick due to the work load, but they came back pleading and i got the contract for that too.. (nobody has more trees than them!)

Last month i tendered for the Dept of Housing contracts and i think im in with a chance..

It keeps up to 8 of us busy and have trained up my staff pretty good these days, i generally have 2-3 jobs going at once now with the chipper playing follow me, Sometimes it even works out smoothly!

good deal Derek, lemme know if I can help further. and let me know your address for the invoice!!!

:D

you man lift using tree man. :P

Hi Gary!

I might have to change my name to Awsomeflyer instead Paul ? nearly 800 hours in it now, i felt i had the controls down pat in the first week, flying smothly these days.

Back