How'd it go today?

Squishey, how's that beast doing? Is it making you money yet? Have you gotten rid of the chuck-n-duck yet or are you keeping it for 'back up'?

dug some trenches for drainage pipes today...
tomorrow we are putting in some turf and some plant material.
Working for a friends company.

Wednesday I have two installation jobs, thursday we are prepping a trench and two large planting holes, friday we have the crane truck coming to install 2 - 15 foot japanese maples and 30 some 8' cedar hedges, and 5 yards of new soil/ mulch.

joy of joys, :)

Squishey, how's that beast doing? Is it making you money yet? Have you gotten rid of the chuck-n-duck yet or are you keeping it for 'back up'?

CnD is for sale, but the way things are looking I may be keeping it as a back-up whether I want to or not :roll:

The new chipper is going great, the whole plan has comes together nicely and the mini is working out awesome for feeding it. I drew quite a crowd running it yesterday working beside the highschool. Frig highschool kids are mouthpieces, I was working the trees where they generally smoke(up) so they were displaced and none to happy about it. In a better world I'd have been allowed to have given a couple of those kids a slap upside the head but alas not.

It's pouring rain here this morning, considering postponing the morning but I dunno might just have to get wet I guess.:(

Squish, we had that rain yesterday evening and last night, got some thunder and lightning out of it too. looks halfway decent outside this morning.

Squish, you recall how fast the end of a log moves when the loader swings it from the butt, eh? Try that with a nice long branch with the mini, bet you could quiet some of the punks down...

Thats really great that you did that and excellent for you that you received credit for it publicly!

Broke the handle on a 460 today 2nd saw I've busted in 14 years ain't bad but me no like breaky saw, cutting rounds on a steep hill sucks! I cut a good 20 plus table tops and one of them rolled down on my saw and squash! I guess 48" DBH, 14 inches wide I guess each round weighed about 250-300 lbs. Then climbed the two trees that had gotten sprung over when the big tree laid on the house. THey were leaning so badly I had to climb on the lean side which is upside down.

Terrible day. Pruning hemlocks, maybe 30 feet tall. The tops had to be climbed but the rest from a ladder. If you have ever climbed a hemlock with rain gear on, you know that its next to impossible. IMO not even worth it. So I got soaked absolutely soaked from head to toe and 3 inches of water in my boots. Would have been such a tit job if it wasnt raining, short drag, easy work..Farking rain kills it though by the end of the day I was shivering...Well...on a brighter note its going to be sunny manana muy bueno

:|:
You can climb on top of a bad leaner but it sure bangs up my knees, chaps help, but still it has to be at least 12 inches at least to climb on the top side and not underneath. It was a 5 inch leaner there no way to stay on top of that!

THill I have climbed Hemlock as you described but not in the rain and cold, that makes you sick and instead of loosing one day to rain, you loose 3 or 4 due to cold/flu.

Chip a couple of mouthy ones and the others might quieten down.

Ha it would've been pretty damn easy to. One of the little bastards actually climbed up onto the infeed tray of the chipper at one point during the day(it wasn't running but still)...........That's when I lost it!!!

Today I started a job with a whole bunch of nice timber on it, it's going real well thanks to the mini. This is the job with the two real big firs on it that I was all excited about well as it turns out now those are the only two trees staying on this lot :(. I got poking around a little about the ditch that was there and next thing ya know it's a creek with a no cut zone all around it. The two bigguys get to live, there's still about half a dozen of more that are 100' or better. I sent about four or five 40'-50' tops out of the bucket today, whatta rush!

Vermeer... Sherrill... Arborist Supply...????

Well I got my new "Vermeer" catalog in the mail today. I almost tossed it in the trash and then I noticed the SHERRILLtree logo in the bottom right corner of the cover. What's up with that? :?

Were have you been, Mr. Sir? Under a tree trunk?
They cuddled up a long time ago :)

Were have you been, Mr. Sir? Under a tree trunk?
They cuddled up a long time ago :)

Yes, I knew that. But it appears Vermeer has become the main event on the catalog cover, with Sherrill added as an afterthought. Vermeer wasn't even on the cover last year, they were on the back.

Ahhh! Nothing like a dusk ferry ride home... it means a sunset on the water, which I did get pics of.

I can't complain about my day. Ran a few calls, did some post-tornado site surveys, and rode the ferry 3 times. I forgot to mention, the ferry is where I am posting from. :lol:

I replaced the accelerator/idle switch on my Morbark first thing this morning, did a few estimates, then met the crane guy for a quickie palm removal. A 40 foot Washingtonia robusta in a raised brick planter in the center of a pool deck. A long reach for the 30 ton with jib and we only had 2300 lbs of lift capacity. I estimated the tree at 3500 lbs, so we took it in two pieces. Turns out it was only 2000 lbs total so we could have done it in one pick, but I like to err on the side of caution with cranes and long reaches. Sorry, no pictures, but it was pretty mundane job, about 30 minutes from the time we drove up till we packed up and left. I wish I could do about 10 or 12 of those kinds of jobs a day.

Back